Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 08:53 AM   #1

Looking to purchase a new bunkhouse trailer

We are first time TT buyers and are looking to buy a 2021 Forest River Salem FSX 179dbkx. We chose this one because we need the bunkbeds, wanted a murphy bed for the queen because it is such a small trailer, and only have an SUV that has a 5000 lb carrying capacity and 500lb tongue weight capacity. I think this one works.
I don't know much about negotiating on RV's. Without starting negotiations, the salesman told us it would be $16,795 or $20,908.05 with taxes, tags, and registration. He said the $16,795 price would include brake control and hitch. We are planning on financing through the place we are buying it and he acted like the best interest rate they offered was 5.5%.
How much should I offer on the TT and is the interest rate negotiable? Should we ask them to throw anything else in? Thank you all in advance! I really appreciate all the help since I feel so ignorant in this process!
Bfonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:11 AM   #2

Shop around. Price is reasonable. Got to find out what is included. 1/3 off Is sort of the ballpark.

The mark up for tax seems high but, depends on your state. Extended warranty? In this area a lot of “fraud” happens. Might be swell.

We live near RV nation. Hard to compare.

You need a hitch likely, brake controller. Sway control?

Better battery? Depends on your plan. Extras.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #3

Definitely shop around.

The floor plan (bunks, murphy bed, etc) exist in several different brands so look at as many as you can before making your choice.

Every Dealer seems to have a different financing source, often local Credit Unions.

Your credit score will often dictate the interest rate and if you have a good credit score make sure to LEAN on the dealer to find you a better rate. I did this and saved a full 2% when I bought my TT.

Shop, Shop, Shop.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:34 AM   #4

We don't know what state you're in, but a good place to start looking for prices is rvtrader.com. Scroll down to see your rig. https://www.rvtrader.com/Forest-Rive...79DBKX%7C67388
What you're looking for is 25-30% of MSRP.
Like a car dealer, the rv dealer makes money by financing so that's usually a good place to start negotiation. If you belong to a credit union or bank, start there. According to bankrate.com, the lowest traditional financing rate is 4.5%.
Be careful when you sign the financing papers. That's usually a 'bait and switch' possibility. You don't find out the real financing rate til you sign the final papers. They don't really know the financing rate til they've run you through their finance department.
That does look like a perfect trailer for your family, but you need to make absolutely certain that your SUV can tow that trailer. If you need help running the numbers, post a picture of the sticker on your suv that indicates what it can carry and tow.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #5

What state are you in?
Taxes, title, and registration seem very high, $4113.05! That's 25% of the base selling price added.
Concur, go to www.rvtrader.com you can find your exact trailer anywhere at a specified distance from you.
My TT was listed from $18-20K. My "local" dealer 50 miles away that sold the model I wanted wanted almost $16K for their last 2018 model. Found one advertised via rvtrader for $11,500. It was over 200 miles away in the next state. But then they got in the 2019 model with a larger refrigerator. I bought the 2019 end of April 2018!
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfonner View Post
We are first time TT buyers and are looking to buy a 2021 Forest River Salem FSX 179dbkx. We chose this one because we need the bunkbeds, wanted a murphy bed for the queen because it is such a small trailer, and only have an SUV that has a 5000 lb carrying capacity and 500lb tongue weight capacity. I think this one works.
I feel that you being a newbie, I need to alert you before you make a big mistake.
Since you don't state what your SUV is and it's not listed in your profile, I have to accept that the 500lbs tongue weight capacity.
You are going to easily be over the 500lbs because the fictional dry tongue weight is 502lbs, before adding the weights of batteries, factory options, water and any cargo you load into the trailer. Using 13% of the GVWR, especially since it's a single axle, puts your real world tongue weight at 635lbs.
One of the top newbie mistakes is believing fictional brochure/website dry weight numbers.
You're going to need a trailer with a much lighter tongue weight.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #7

rvwholesaler is another site that will give you a baseline price. You can use that for negotiation or just choose to buy from them.

I would double check your weight numbers. It sounds like you're right at max weight with an empty tow vehicle and empty trailer. When you add people, gear and pets, you may be overloaded. Camper proclaimed weights are before additions and upgrades, so even the weight of an air conditioner, for example, need to be removed from available capacity. Popups are harder to come by these days, but we had a popup when we had a tow vehicle with similar limits.

Hope that helps
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:31 PM   #8

I have to agree; shop around. It was the 4th dealer we stopped at where we felt comfortable with sales not giving us a line. I can say we got a deal not we bought a TT.

KE8SDQ
Ryan-OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #9

We are looking at a similar model. The biggest downside I saw with it is there is only the 2 countertop burners and no oven. Granted we don't use the oven often, but it is nice to have. I think the outdoor grill under the bunk may make up for this drawback.

Even though your SUV is capable of towing 5000lbs, I would still look at weight distribution hitch.
Lorythril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfonner View Post
I don't know much about negotiating on RV's. Without starting negotiations, the salesman told us it would be $16,795 or $20,908.05 with taxes, tags, and registration. He said the $16,795 price would include brake control and hitch. We are planning on financing through the place we are buying it and he acted like the best interest rate they offered was 5.5%.
How much should I offer on the TT and is the interest rate negotiable? Should we ask them to throw anything else in? Thank you all in advance! I really appreciate all the help since I feel so ignorant in this process!
I think that trailer is too big for your tow vehicle. Once you add batteries, propane, regular camping items, etc., you'll be over on both your tongue weight and towing capacity (which I'm assuming is what you meant when you typed carrying capacity). And if you are dry camping and planning on leaving with your freshwater tank full, you'll definitely be far over the limit.
GravelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #11

You might want to consider the Salem FSX 177BH with bunk beds, but it has a full bed not a pull down. It runs about 3200-3400 dry weight (hoping that is accurate) as my vehicle has a 5000/500 limit and it's definitely not a good idea to go to the limit of your vehicle's towing capacity.

Mine was 16,995 (marked down from $20k+) and I got them to throw in a 4 to 5 pin adapter, a Curt Echo brake controller, and Husky sway control/weight distribution hitch.

I did see a 2020 Forest River RV Salem FSX 177BH for $12995 (probably negotiable) at Roth RV in Grand Rapids. I don't know if they still have it, but if you put the model you are looking for in quotations in Google, you may find different prices.

My advice would be to look for something at least 20% less then your towing/tongue capacity - and consider that when you load it up, add water, supplies, etc. you are going to be mighty close, if not over capacity.

With that scenario I insisted on WDH and sway bar - you will not regret it in strong winds, even from a passing tractor trailer.
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bunk, bunkhouse, trailer