Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #1

MiniLite 2306 versus Roo 23RS?

We have a newborn, a three year old and a five year old and are looking at upgrading our hybrid trailer. I love lots of things about our hybrid but discovered the canvas ends are difficult with young kids due to the noise, the brightness and keeping heat in or out depending on the weather. Anyway, we need to keep under 24' ft and under 4500 lbs so we are looking at Minilite 2306 with the Murphy bed and the Roo 23rs. I have good reasons for liking and not liking both of them and before I list them, just thought I'd see what others thought.
Busy mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #2

We ended up with the 2306, with the Murphy Bed option. Our kids are 7, 9, and 10, and had an old model pop up. We also camp with our two dogs.

Our main reason for going with the 2306 was for most of the reasons you listed... keeping noise and light out. AND keeping noise (aka dog barking) in. I don't want my dogs to drive neighbors crazy while we're gone.

And for a little piece of mind or added security. A fully enclosed unit helps us feel a bit safer.

Have you stood in either unit?

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #3

As you stated, both have advantages. The biggest one I see is your desire to stay under 4500lbs. The ROO has a dry weight of 4143 and a GVWR of 6145. With kids, you will be packing alot of goodies.

The 2306 has a dry of 3630 and a GVWR of 4756. This seems more in line with your weight limits.

We went with the Flagstaff (23lb)version of the 2306.

The ROO master bed is like sleeping in a tunnle, may or may not be an issue. My wife nixed that one pretty quick. The sleep arrangements for the kids is better in the ROO. The bunks on the 2306 are pretty narrow and also like sleeping in a tunnle (but my wife and I won't be sleeping there).

Good luck with your decision, you'll just need to figure out what works for you.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
The sleep arrangements for the kids is better in the ROO. The bunks on the 2306 are pretty narrow and also like sleeping in a tunnle (but my wife and I won't be sleeping there).
I'm claustrophobic, and I HATE the bunks. The kids? LOVE them. LOL. They think they're "fun". What do I know?

With the murphy bed, you'll only have two bunks. You lose the third. So that is something to consider.

We're hoping that our oldest (the only boy) will opt for a tent on our first outing in a couple weeks.

previous owner of
Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #5

I know this is a Forest River Forum and I own a 2306 but you may be interested in the Lance 2185. It has a similar set-up to the Murphy bed with 3 bunks. I just like it's floor plan. The downside is a small bathroom. Check out their website for pics and Good luck!
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #6

We have a 25RS and I don't think the master bed is like a tunnel at all. It's really roomy, even with the dogs. I say go with the 23RS.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
I know this is a Forest River Forum and I own a 2306 but you may be interested in the Lance 2185. It has a similar set-up to the Murphy bed with 3 bunks. I just like it's floor plan. The downside is a small bathroom. Check out their website for pics and Good luck!
I really liked that model, and it was number 1 on my list for a while. The problem we had with it was the weight. I can't haul that much.

We also stood in one at the RV show and I wasn't impressed with the construction compared to the Rockwood.

Finally, the Rockwood had the luxurious outdoor features that we were looking for.

previous owner of
Old 03-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb74 View Post
I really liked that model, and it was number 1 on my list for a while. The problem we had with it was the weight. I can't haul that much.

We also stood in one at the RV show and I wasn't impressed with the construction compared to the Rockwood.

Finally, the Rockwood had the luxurious outdoor features that we were looking for.
Not sure what luxurious outdoor features the 2306 has but I really like ours. I just thought the Lance model might be better with a bigger dinette slide and 3 bunks for a growing family.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #9

Do you prefer the third bunk or a sofa? Depends on the kids and if they will sleep two in the bottom bunk or not. Both have bathtubs which seems important considering the age of your kids. The sliding bed in the Roo wouldn't bother me, further the bed is "out of the way"; I only wish there was a slide out. Still not seeing much storage. I like that the Roo has a 2' longer awning. I'd go for storage and which one feels larger. Does one have a lot more outside storage? My 2 cents Happy Hunting!
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
Not sure what luxurious outdoor features the 2306 has but I really like ours. I just thought the Lance model might be better with a bigger dinette slide and 3 bunks for a growing family.
Compared to our pup, anything is luxurious!

But seriously, the larger awning, speakers, shower, grill.... we spend most of our camping hours outdoors so we paid as much attention to the outside as in.

Plus, I just can't see our almost 11 year old staying in a small bunk much longer. Hoping he'll opt for a tent.

previous owner of

Tags
minilite 2306, roo 23rs