Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Negotiating Price on Used 2016. Need advice.

Hello. I was wondering if you all could help me come up with a reasonable price on a Used 2016 Forester 2861DS with 9,960 miles. I have been searching for months for a used 2015/2016 2861DS, so I'm excited to find one so close by. This could be it! I've only seen photos, and it is being sold through a Camperworld dealer. Anyway, the coach is in rough shape with missing a dinette and rails, some cabinetry damage, and missing the bedspread. It was not well cared for and with the dinette missing makes us wonder why this coach is in such bad shape. It does have a Big Foot leveling system and I hope the original owner knew how to use it properly and didn't damage the frame! We will have to definitely check that! I was told the dinette will be replaced with factory stock and all other damage fixed. I'll need that in writing I guess. What other questions should I be asking regarding warranty, service policies, etc.?

Sticker price is $69,500. I'm thinking of starting at 30% off the sticker price plus adding in our 10% tax, license and fees for an out the door figure. Is that reasonable? Thanks you all for your help.
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #2

I would avoid it like the plague. If you can see this much casually looking imagine what you can find digging deeper....and what you can't see. If it were me I would find check out RV direct or a similar place...maybe even a holdover 16.

When shopping for relatively new it can often cheaper to buy new and get a warranty...people often overpay or trade in upside down, etc and didn't buy right for whatever reason.

Maybe price one out at RV wholesalers...bought a unit there and no major issues. Can get a quote in minutes and often can improve that a bit.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLud View Post
I would avoid it like the plague. If you can see this much casually looking imagine what you can find digging deeper....and what you can't see. If it were me I would find check out RV direct or a similar place...maybe even a holdover 16.

When shopping for relatively new it can often cheaper to buy new and get a warranty...people often overpay or trade in upside down, etc and didn't buy right for whatever reason.

Maybe price one out at RV wholesalers...bought a unit there and no major issues. Can get a quote in minutes and often can improve that a bit.
Thanks. I have checked out RV wholesalers, like their prices, but I don't like the new "improved" 2017 class C's. Plus RV Wholesalers are 1,000's of miles away from us.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:37 PM   #4

Be cautious. If its in such bad shape there may be many other issues that you will not immediately discover. Maybe its a repo or recovered stolen? Good Luck.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:55 PM   #5

RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.
A trashed trailer + Camping World = Disaster.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:34 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
You don't need to "run", you just need to pay an appropriate price...factoring in for the known damage and the risk of unknown damage. This isn't for everybody, but it sounds like you know what you're in for and are willing to accept the risk.

Thirty percent off seems very ambitious to me...especially considering that CW seems to plan on "fixing it up" before the sale. Admittedly though, I am not aware of the current market for that vehicle.

Whatever you do, do NOT let them know how set you are on that model and how long/far you have searched for one. You should act as though its just another camper and that you're also considering one down the street.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #7

If you like the price from RV wholesalers find someone local that will match? I would try to use that as a bargaining tool if nothing else.

Otherwise maybe broaden the search area, consider other years...maybe a bit older but well taken care of. In the end your decision completely so feel free to use or not use any advice of mine. Good luck either way!
Old 02-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #8

This might have been a "Party Bus Rental" or a "Dysfunctttttional Family"? Run Away! Youroo!!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #9

RUN Forrest, RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
Broken Toe

If you go out and slam your head in the car door for about an hour and a half, that's pretty much what owning this coach will feel like.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #11

Your first red flag should be that it's being sold by Camping World.
Thats the first reason to run.
Second red flag is their claim that they'll "fix" everything, but probably after you buy it. They are famous for not following thru, even if it's "written down".
Thats the second reason to run.
Third, if your thinking of trying to get it at a reduced price, and then "fixing it up", watch the Tom Hanks movie "The Money Pit". Probably a good indication of what you'll be getting into.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #12

For what it's worth they have it priced just a tad above low retail. When you consider what determines "low retail" which basically means it's a POS they seem to have it priced correctly at least as far as an advertised on the lot price. I would run like hell backwards just based on the description (not well cared for) or throw out an offer of around 48K and expect to sink a good chunk back into it........They would have given no more than 45K on trade for it if it was traded in, probably less. Is it the one shown on their website as a 2016 Forester 28 for $ 67995?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
Site Team

If there is as much damage as you said you could easily identify on first glance, how much is there that you didn't see? Also if CW thought it had value, they would have cleaned up the obvious issues before listing it or just sold as-is for less. I agree with others run!. BUT if you do decide you want it, do not sign anything until CW repairs all that they say they will do. If you sign for it with the promise to repair it, you will be very unhappy. It will most likely not be repaired to your liking or it will sit for months waiting repairs. Remember all the repairs are out of CW's pocket not FR warranty.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
For what it's worth they have it priced just a tad above low retail. When you consider what determines "low retail" which basically means it's a POS they seem to have it priced correctly at least as far as an advertised on the lot price. I would run like hell backwards just based on the description (not well cared for) or throw out an offer of around 48K and expect to sink a good chunk back into it........They would have given no more than 45K on trade for it if it was traded in, probably less. Is it the one shown on their website as a 2016 Forester 28 for $ 67995?
Yes, that's the one, and I found out more about the coach yesterday. It's not as bad as I thought, and we will see it this weekend. I agree, the last thing I wanted to do was purchase from Campingworld knowing their reputation, but they do have the motorhome I've been looking for. However, we are willing to walk away if this is going to be more of a risk then we're comfortable with. We have owned motorhomes in the past that have been meticulously cared for, so we know about some of the internal things to look for. Work does need to be done, and that's where I do have concerns about Campingworld following through on that.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #15

If you decide to take it I would give a small deposit and set a date for repairs to be completed to your satisfaction or you get your money back.

Nights Camped, 2015: 23, 2016: 27, 2017: 29, 2018: 22, 2019: 29
mikeysotp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperroo View Post
Yes, that's the one, and I found out more about the coach yesterday. It's not as bad as I thought, and we will see it this weekend. I agree, the last thing I wanted to do was purchase from Campingworld knowing their reputation, but they do have the motorhome I've been looking for. However, we are willing to walk away if this is going to be more of a risk then we're comfortable with. We have owned motorhomes in the past that have been meticulously cared for, so we know about some of the internal things to look for. Work does need to be done, and that's where I do have concerns about Campingworld following through on that.
It did not look all too bad from what can be seen in the few pictures they have up. Good Luck.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camperroo View Post
Hello. I was wondering if you all could help me come up with a reasonable price on a Used 2016 Forester 2861DS with 9,960 miles. I have been searching for months for a used 2015/2016 2861DS, so I'm excited to find one so close by. This could be it! I've only seen photos, and it is being sold through a Camperworld dealer. Anyway, the coach is in rough shape with missing a dinette and rails, some cabinetry damage, and missing the bedspread. It was not well cared for and with the dinette missing makes us wonder why this coach is in such bad shape. It does have a Big Foot leveling system and I hope the original owner knew how to use it properly and didn't damage the frame! We will have to definitely check that! I was told the dinette will be replaced with factory stock and all other damage fixed. I'll need that in writing I guess. What other questions should I be asking regarding warranty, service policies, etc.?

Sticker price is $69,500. I'm thinking of starting at 30% off the sticker price plus adding in our 10% tax, license and fees for an out the door figure. Is that reasonable? Thanks you all for your help.
Everybody is right....
Avoid a damaged unit like the plague....there will be much more problems than first seen. Second avoid Camping World .... Horror stories are all around...don't become another. You can't buy it cheap enough.
Tcdoughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #18

Was it a repo and if it was stay far away. People who are repossessed like to break stuff to punish the bank , its not the banks fault they dont make payments
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #19

agree run do to walk from this one/ Run / the asking price is way to high/
We bought ours in Michigan and we live in Virginia
The money we saved was well worth the flight to pick it up and drive home.
The place we purchased was in Grand Rapids although we could have purchased less then 15 miles from home
Happy hunting
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #20

We got ours in Grand Rapids as well....motorhomes to go or MHS2GO. Very good experience and a heck of a deal. Would not hesitate to go back there. I had a couple minor parts issues and they took my calls and had parts sent super quick even though they could have said forget him he lives hours away.