Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pojp58 View Post
Dealer can tell you anything.
+1
chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
Our first two trailers were purchased new. Older and wiser, our third was bought new. I figured that the large and small bugs would have been worked out. And whether under warranty or not, I do my own work whenever possible. The turnaround is quicker, the price is right and the workmanship is often better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
What was the difference?

Used. Our third trailer was bought used. I believe I have reached the age where I need to stop trying to do two things at once.

Thanks for the catch.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown View Post
There should be a BIG price difference between the two! That used 2018 should be a lot less simply because it is used and depreciated. If buying from a dealer you know he paid dirt for that trade in. There should be big profit in that 2018 for him, and he should be able to move on that price.
What he said.

That used 2018 should be priced about 80% the price of the new 2017.

Once you drive that pretty NEW RV off the lot you've just lost 20 to 30% of what you paid for it. Gone. The 2018's first owner took that hit. Don't take it again.

That dealer is blowing smoke.

2012 FR Stealth 2714 Toyhauler.
2017 Ford F 250, 4x4, Super Cab, 8' bed, 6.2 gas motor.
Various Desert Toys including a Rzr XP Turbo.
ADVtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Verify this through Forest River (NOT the dealer), but I've seen comments that the second year warranty is still available for $150 or so on unsold 2017 units although it is no longer available on 2018 and later models. That could impact your decision.
Doesn't matter what year the new model is, it matters what date it was purchased.

So the 2017 doesn't qualify, since it would be purchased way after the 2nd year factory warranty was discontinued.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Doesn't matter what year the new model is, it matters what date it was purchased.

So the 2017 doesn't qualify, since it would be purchased way after the 2nd year factory warranty was discontinued.
There is a rub to this. I purchased a new 2017 Flagstaff model in July of last year and was able to purchase the FR 2nd year warranty at the time of purchase. I asked the dealer if he was aware that it being phased out and he said not for my purchase.

I read here on the forum that another member was communicating with FR as to it's availability and posted a copy of the letter he got from FR - Flagstaff/Rockwood warranty. It stated that that division would honor the 2nd year on the 2017 year models but would not on the 2018 models.

Within a week of reading that I got my letter from FR validating that I have the second year. I think that different brands/divisions handled the end of the 2nd year warranty differently.

YMMV
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #26

I have seen postings indicating they got it on 2017 models after the cutoff, hence my recommendation the OP verify the availability directly from FR before taking it into consideration.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
There is a rub to this. I purchased a new 2017 Flagstaff model in July of last year and was able to purchase the FR 2nd year warranty at the time of purchase. I asked the dealer if he was aware that it being phased out and he said not for my purchase.

I read here on the forum that another member was communicating with FR as to it's availability and posted a copy of the letter he got from FR - Flagstaff/Rockwood warranty. It stated that that division would honor the 2nd year on the 2017 year models but would not on the 2018 models.

Within a week of reading that I got my letter from FR validating that I have the second year. I think that different brands/divisions handled the end of the 2nd year warranty differently.

YMMV

All of this is great information! We're still brewing on this purchase but I've already learned so much from you all, thank you so much! stay tuned LOL I will update with a final outcome
thewhiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:08 PM   #28

records

Ask for the repair history of the vin number by the selling dealer. At min they should provide dates of service and action taken. This does not violate the Driver's Policy Protection Act as you are not getting the previous owners name.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote