Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but how does one know what options are available and who do you order from?
Options are listed for every model, on their webpage or brochure.
Dealers, like RV Wholesalers or RV Direct, will list the options and allow you to Build and Price that model.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:58 PM   #22
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciditad View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but how does one know what options are available and who do you order from?
I thoroughly researched models online before I went to the dealer. I still had some questions, but I was able to intelligently discuss r-pods—and the salesman knew it would be hard to BS me.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #23

When we bought our Surveyor, DW and I did a lot of internet shopping. turns out there is a “build sheet” that shows a VIN and the options included with that unit. Dealers have the sheets, some sales people do nor seem to know about that piece of paper. When pressed, the paper seems to appear. I’ve had numerous dealers email me the sheet.
The other process I have used is an email to various dealers stating “I want XX unit with the following options... What have you?” I have found a unit with more options than I wanted for a lower price. I did drive a bit, saved a bunch. The local dealer told me I would wait in a long line for service. Amazingly, I have not had the need for service from them.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #24

I have ordered both our precious 5th wheel and current TT. My first time I hit multiple RV shows and read a lot of reviews. We also tire kicked a lot of brands on multiple dealer lots. It was a good learning experience. After we settled on a particular brand we hit all dealers for that brand within 200 miles of us.

I tried negotiating with one dealer that considers themselves the largest Forest River dealer in the nation. They produced a phoney invoice that listed all the option packages and a lot of extras. Many of the extras were already in the option packages so they were inflating the MSRP. They even inflated the Base price, doubled the delivery charge and added in a couple of suspicious sounding charges, they also stressed that you should buy from them because they give their buyers the best service and others get second class service.

First I don’t really like liars so the fake invoice just sort of set the tone. Then I thought you are saying your service department will mistreat any trailer brought in that they didn’t sell. So I went home and started reading reviews of this dealer. Horrible! People who bought their trailer from this dealer, got it home and found major issues, took it back in and waited 7 and 8 months for service.

So I bought from a volume dealer in Ohio. I figured if I had a warranty issue that I couldn’t get a dealer to fix I was already over $5k ahead of the local dealer. My one warranty issue ended being with Lippert’s self leveling system and they shipped me the new control board and walked me through the 4 screws, 5 minute repair.

This time I gave the local dealer (new state) a chance to bid on the trailer we had settled on, I figured they would be a couple of thousand higher just for the delivery. They wanted 40% more for their same unit and when I told them I had a different offer they told me that was $3k lower than their factory cost. I guess their company lies to their salesmen about their true cost otherwise their salesman would have to be lying to me. And for the record this dealer (different from the Lyin one in Texas) has an equally terrible reputation for service.

So I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances. My build date is August 20th and the dealer ordered every option you could get. He loads all his trailers up with all the options I assume because the markup (and discounting) for options is much higher. While FR would like you to buy locally the local dealers bring this upon themselves if they lie, provide bad service or are dishonest. If you find a good honest one it might be worth paying a bit more but so Far I haven’t met that dealer.
SantaFe big sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFe big sky View Post
I have ordered both our precious 5th wheel and current TT. My first time I hit multiple RV shows and read a lot of reviews. We also tire kicked a lot of brands on multiple dealer lots. It was a good learning experience. After we settled on a particular brand we hit all dealers for that brand within 200 miles of us.

I tried negotiating with one dealer that considers themselves the largest Forest River dealer in the nation. They produced a phoney invoice that listed all the option packages and a lot of extras. Many of the extras were already in the option packages so they were inflating the MSRP. They even inflated the Base price, doubled the delivery charge and added in a couple of suspicious sounding charges, they also stressed that you should buy from them because they give their buyers the best service and others get second class service.

First I don’t really like liars so the fake invoice just sort of set the tone. Then I thought you are saying your service department will mistreat any trailer brought in that they didn’t sell. So I went home and started reading reviews of this dealer. Horrible! People who bought their trailer from this dealer, got it home and found major issues, took it back in and waited 7 and 8 months for service.

So I bought from a volume dealer in Ohio. I figured if I had a warranty issue that I couldn’t get a dealer to fix I was already over $5k ahead of the local dealer. My one warranty issue ended being with Lippert’s self leveling system and they shipped me the new control board and walked me through the 4 screws, 5 minute repair.

This time I gave the local dealer (new state) a chance to bid on the trailer we had settled on, I figured they would be a couple of thousand higher just for the delivery. They wanted 40% more for their same unit and when I told them I had a different offer they told me that was $3k lower than their factory cost. I guess their company lies to their salesmen about their true cost otherwise their salesman would have to be lying to me. And for the record this dealer (different from the Lyin one in Texas) has an equally terrible reputation for service.

So I guess you pays your money and you takes your chances. My build date is August 20th and the dealer ordered every option you could get. He loads all his trailers up with all the options I assume because the markup (and discounting) for options is much higher. While FR would like you to buy locally the local dealers bring this upon themselves if they lie, provide bad service or are dishonest. If you find a good honest one it might be worth paying a bit more but so Far I haven’t met that dealer.
Did you go with Couch's in OH? I ordered mine today from them.
reg11756 is offline   Reply With Quote