Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Out of state Property Tax

Has any body had this problem
My V lite trail trailer is register in GA but I kept it in a RV park in north NC for the past 9 months
I pay taxes on it in GA but received a notice from the County where the RV park is located in NC wanting me to pay property tax on it . When I contacted the county tax office they said basically they don't care what GA dose for taxes. Do I have to pay taxes on it in both states

Greenjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjw View Post
Has any body had this problem
My V lite trail trailer is register in GA but I kept it in a RV park in north NC for the past 9 months
I pay taxes on it in GA but received a notice from the County where the RV park is located in NC wanting me to pay property tax on it . When I contacted the county tax office they said basically they don't care what GA dose for taxes. Do I have to pay taxes on it in both states

Friends of ours had the same issue with their boats. Registered in another state (one in Iowa, one in Illinois) but kept at the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Miller County (Missouri) wanted them to pay personal property tax in their (Miller) county, and forced the issue. Ours, registered in Franklin County (Missouri) but kept in Miller County, was taxed in Miller, but not in Franklin, even though the rest of our taxable personal property (cars, trucks, etc.) was taxed in Franklin County.

I suspect that if you pay personal property taxes on your trailer in North Carolina, then take that tax bill to the tax office in your home county in Georgia, you can get a waiver from Georgia.

By the way, the Missouri General Assembly ultimately passed a law requiring marinas, campgrounds, and boat and trailer storage facilities to report to the local county assessor any boat or trailer that was in their facility on January 1 of each year. That's how they got the information to issue tax bills.

Good luck.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote