Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #1

Pay With GasBuddy card???

For those of you who have the "Pay With GasBuddy card", I was wandering what you thought of it? Is it a good deal? Or not worth it? Any problems from using it?
Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #2

Sorry, I don't have the card, but I have an opinion about it anyway. The Pay With GasBuddy card discounts are not near as good as you can find with some other credit cards. I can currently get up to 2.5 times more discount/reward than what GasBuddy offers. GasBuddy needs to improve their discounts in order to be competitive.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Sorry, I don't have the card, but I have an opinion about it anyway. The Pay With GasBuddy card discounts are not near as good as you can find with some other credit cards. I can currently get up to 2.5 times more discount/reward than what GasBuddy offers. GasBuddy needs to improve their discounts in order to be competitive.
we're planning a trip to Canada and MOST CC have a 3% foreign transaction rate they charge when using the card.
Have u traveled thru Canada and have u found a good CC that waives the foreign transaction fee of 3%, because that about negates any savings.
thx
DavidAndDonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:54 AM   #4

I have and use the Gas Buddy pay card and find it a good deal when you activate a "deal" to get an even greater discount at different gas stations, sometimes between 10-21 cent off a gallon or greater. Down side is there is a cap on daily and weekly spending.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAndDonna View Post
we're planning a trip to Canada and MOST CC have a 3% foreign transaction rate they charge when using the card.
Have u traveled thru Canada and have u found a good CC that waives the foreign transaction fee of 3%, because that about negates any savings.
thx
https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/cred...ransaction-fee
Old 02-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
Kasual Kamper

The only thing stopping me is that you have to associate your bank account number with the account. I don't want anybody having that kind of access.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #7

I use mine all the time.
Old 02-29-2020, 09:24 PM   #8

Thanks for all of the input. Not sure what I am going at this time.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
That is what stopped me also. My BH will not let anyone take money out of our bank account.
Same here.

If there is a goof up, the account could be short of funds until the goof up is resolved. Potentially, check(s) could bounce for insufficient funds. No thanks!
Old 04-08-2020, 03:40 PM   #10
Vermonter living in NC

I have one and love it. One of the reasons i love it is because I don't have to insert my CC or Debit card into the gas pump. There are a lot of "skimmers" around were I live and this prevents access to my account--the only thing you can use it for is Gas.

On top of that, i get combined discounts using my Good Sam Card or local gas cards.

Love my Pay with Gas Buddy card.
Papotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:01 AM   #11

Yes, I think it would work, except you must give your bank account info and my BH will not do that.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 06:57 AM   #12
Vermonter living in NC

True, one thing that hasn't been in any of the threads, it that they offer a CC to use. Gives a much better discount. You may want to check into that.
Papotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #13

I have a separate bank checking account that I fund only as needed for those type of cards.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:34 PM   #14
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papotvin View Post
True, one thing that hasn't been in any of the threads, it that they offer a CC to use. Gives a much better discount. You may want to check into that.
Currently, there is NO credit card option. I wrote to them and this is what they responded:
At this time, we require our members to link to a checking account. To help explain why, allow me to provide an excerpt from our Help Center:
"GasBuddy is able to provide discounts on fuel purchases made with the Service (Automated Clearing House) because of the substantially lower payment processing costs compared with merchants’ current charges from credit and debit card companies.". Using this system, we're able to pass the savings on to our members.

However, we are continually exploring ways to expand the program and make it better. This could potentially include adding the ability to add a credit card down the road."

I gave them my reason why myself and others will never let a merchant debit my checking account automatically. Hopefully, with people now driving less and gas prices being already low, it will put pressure on them to increase their membership by offering a CC option. We shall see.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas