Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #1

PDI issue

So we are scheduled to pick up our RV this week. We originally told the dealer we would have our own inspector do the PDI (he's a friend & does it for a living). Unfortunately now he has broken a leg & can't get to it. I reached out to the dealer and asked if we could just pay for the PDI out of pocket as we've already signed the contract. I was really shocked when I was told they don't have any way to do that. Now I am legitimately worried about what the heck we may be getting into. This is a new rig that we are buying at a large Texas dealership, and it's about a 6 hour drive so I can't just pop in and ask someone in person. Should I go over the sales guy's head & ask for a manager? As a business owner, I never turn down the chance to offer a service to a buyer.
Outlandish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #2

PDI issue

Was the orig agreement that your inspection would take place at the dealer with access to power and water? If so I would just go through it using your bud’s checklist.

Another alternative that I would recommend is to go to a nearby campground and run through everything over a couple days. That would give you time to inspect everything.
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #3

Im confused. I thought a PDI was done by the dealer for the new owner? It is a new unit under warranty and not a used unit? (where you are looking for hidden issues) I would be doing the walk through myself with the dealer so you can be shown the systems of rv. Why on earth would a PDI cost money?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
Georgia Rally Coordinator

If this is a new unit most dealers I been around do not charge for a PDI sounds like this dealer going to sock it to ya for anything they do. I'd be questioning this charge. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlandish View Post
I reached out to the dealer and asked if we could just pay for the PDI out of pocket as we've already signed the contract. I was really shocked when I was told they don't have any way to do that.
???

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Im confused. I thought a PDI was done by the dealer for the new owner? It is a new unit under warranty and not a used unit? (where you are looking for hidden issues) I would be doing the walk through myself with the dealer so you can be shown the systems of rv. Why on earth would a PDI cost money?
Dealer do their own pdi's and make lists of warranty items and then have their guys fix them . they make money that way . but when you buy you need to do your own pdi as many times the dealers guys never did anything just claimed some time or missed many things . it's up to you not the dealer
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
So we are scheduled to pick up our RV this week. We originally told the dealer we would have our own inspector do the PDI (he's a friend & does it for a living). Unfortunately now he has broken a leg & can't get to it. I reached out to the dealer and asked if we could just pay for the PDI out of pocket as we've already signed the contract. I was really shocked when I was told they don't have any way to do that. Now I am legitimately worried about what the heck we may be getting into. This is a new rig that we are buying at a large Texas dealership, and it's about a 6 hour drive so I can't just pop in and ask someone in person. Should I go over the sales guy's head & ask for a manager? As a business owner, I never turn down the chance to offer a service to a buyer.
PDI is not what the dealer does for you . have your guy make a list and do it yourself . PDI's don't cost unless you hire someone to do it for you . surely your guy knows someone else he could recommend.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #8

my idea of a pdi is some one from the dealer walking the buyer through the camper. at least the 5 times ive bought a camper that is how it was done.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
Why on earth would a PDI cost money?
I had the same question.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #10

We made them an offer of 2K less than the asking price on a 2018. They countered with 1k off if we waived the PDI and picked it up before end of month. They supposedly do a 200 point inspection. Since we had another plan that was fine. We are (hopefully) picking it up tomorrow so I haven't had chance to see if our guy could recommend someone. I have no issue with doing it, this isn't our first c class. Oddly enough I just got a text from the sales guy that said if we want to pay the full price they could still do the PDI. HARD PASS at this point. We will pick it up as is and deal with any issues here at home. I just felt like this was a bit odd. The attitude from the sales guy is almost like he's doing us a favor in selling it to us. Time will tell...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	You-chose-poorly.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	197674  
Old 02-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
We made them an offer of 2K less than the asking price on a 2018. They countered with 1k off if we waived the PDI and picked it up before end of month. They supposedly do a 200 point inspection. Since we had another plan that was fine. We are (hopefully) picking it up tomorrow so I haven't had chance to see if our guy could recommend someone. I have no issue with doing it, this isn't our first c class. Oddly enough I just got a text from the sales guy that said if we want to pay the full price they could still do the PDI. HARD PASS at this point. We will pick it up as is and deal with any issues here at home. I just felt like this was a bit odd. The attitude from the sales guy is almost like he's doing us a favor in selling it to us. Time will tell...
If nothing else, you should still be able to do your own PDI without them charging you for it before you give them any money or sign anything.

If you've already done either of those things then it may be too late but if not, you should request it. There should be no reason for them to be charging for a PDI.

Any problems found should be taken care of before money changes hands. If they can't comply, walk away.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Purchaser signed a contract waiving the PDI. Around here service usually fetches $ 125 PH labor. I would offer that for a PDI at this point.
coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #13

Quote:
this whole thing sounds odd . only $1000 off if you wave your PDI . i have to call B/S on your whole post . move on and buy another unit else where . $2000 off asking price is still paying to much .
Old 02-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #14

I paid about 65 % of list price and it included a new battery, full lp tank, electric tongue lift, wheel chocks, high quality sewer hoses, 25ft potable water hose, extra 25 ft 30 amp extension cord, 50 to 30 amp adapter, & the dealer installed the battery cut off switch that I wanted. After we agreed on the price, we went through everything together and they repaired a couple of items that needed attention, I probably could have talked him down more but my wife REALLY wanted that floorplan TT and it was the only one on the lots within 50 miles of our house.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
this whole thing sounds odd . only $1000 off if you wave your PDI . i have to call B/S on your whole post . move on and buy another unit else where . $2000 off asking price is still paying to much .
The total is 38% off of MSRP, based off of the window sticker. We have decided to just have the unit run through closer to home. I guess I could screen shot the emails but I don't feel the need to justify what I posted, it was an honest question.

ETA: BarabooBob, we both love this floorplan and the final price we are getting is fine with us, we looked within a 250 mile radius for ours. We are going to hope that since it's new it won't be a total train wreck. We shall see
Old 02-26-2019, 02:29 PM   #16
Site Team

I am somewhat confused. You said:
1. They countered with 1k off if we waived the PDI and picked it up before end of month.

2. You have already signed the contract.

There are several red flags here, I can understand the dealer wanting the sale this month, but if you already signed the contract, you own it. Also if they will not spend a few hours going through the unit and showing you that things work properly are they hiding something. Part of a buyer PDI is learning how things work and where they are. How do you plan to accomplish this.

You said you are 6 hours away from the dealer. Seems to me you will be driving those hours back to the dealer shortly and leaving it there for weeks or months ( the busy season is now) to have warranty repairs done if needed. For me the most important part of insuring a successful purchase of an RV is to take the emotion out of it, It seems like you may not be doing that. I would insist on a walk through and inspection of every component and take it only if it is the way you want it. Once you drive it off the lot, you are on the bottom of the list for any repairs. Remember RV,s are not like passenger vehicles, you may have difficulty with warranty work at another dealer.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #17

Quote:
The total is 38% off of MSRP, based off of the window sticker. We have decided to just have the unit run through closer to home. I guess I could screen shot the emails but I don't feel the need to justify what I posted, it was an honest question.

ETA: BarabooBob, we both love this floorplan and the final price we are getting is fine with us, we looked within a 250 mile radius for ours. We are going to hope that since it's new it won't be a total train wreck. We shall see
i really don't see your problem . when you pick up the unit do your walk through . learn the coach and then bring it back for any warranty issues you may encounter down the road . i fail to see anymore what this post is even about .
Old 02-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #18

Prior to your picking the unit up the dealer should do a PDI and repair any issues. They have a PDI checklist. The factory will pay for all. You will never know what was done unless you ask. They likely will give you a copy of their list.

Then, you show up with 3 gallons of rv antifreeze in your truck. Likely the water is not hooked up. They love to not do a winterization after the test. “We have no antifreeze” BS They skipped the water/sewer tests. You can winterize it in their lot in 30 minutes if that is what they want.

They will walk you around and show you how everything works. You check off every item of your PDI sheet. No check until the list is complete and all items fixed. You will be amazed at how well they fix stuff when you have the check.

If you take it away on the promise they will fix it they will require you to make an appointment for 3 months later to do an inspection to document issues. Then you take it home and wait for FR approval in writing. Then wait for parts. When they feel like fixing it they will call you. In the spring time they are booked 4 months in advance.

On service! Deliveries go first. Cash money payers out of warranty next. Warranty work pays poorly. Puts you fourth in line. Emergencies from the street go third.

Other dealers have no interest in helping you. Period. Don't fall for that.

No check until you see everything work.

The rv industry is crazy busy. Don't care what you think. Or what is fair.

Service on warranty is so bad you best prepare yourself to fix any less than $100 items on your own.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #19

Thank you for that, tomkatb. I am going to talk it over with DH, we need to slow this down a little until we feel like they aren't trying to push us off the lot without getting everything taken care of.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I am somewhat confused. You said:
1. They countered with 1k off if we waived the PDI and picked it up before end of month.

2. You have already signed the contract.

There are several red flags here, I can understand the dealer wanting the sale this month, but if you already signed the contract, you own it. Also if they will not spend a few hours going through the unit and showing you that things work properly are they hiding something. Part of a buyer PDI is learning how things work and where they are. How do you plan to accomplish this.

You said you are 6 hours away from the dealer. Seems to me you will be driving those hours back to the dealer shortly and leaving it there for weeks or months ( the busy season is now) to have warranty repairs done if needed. For me the most important part of insuring a successful purchase of an RV is to take the emotion out of it, It seems like you may not be doing that. I would insist on a walk through and inspection of every component and take it only if it is the way you want it. Once you drive it off the lot, you are on the bottom of the list for any repairs. Remember RV,s are not like passenger vehicles, you may have difficulty with warranty work at another dealer.
Excellent advice, thank you, I think we are going to spend some more time talking to the dealer and clarify what we need so we don't regret rushing in over pretty paint & solid surface countertops LOL.

Tags
pdi