Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #21

Hitlights.com has what would seem similar package at $65... theirs has more color options and a more complicated remote controller. My impression is the LED strips look the same in their little spools, but there could be quality differences. I don't know, just speculating.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
Maybe I am missing something but I just looked on 5 different sites and the Kit (799530774795) is between 150 to 200 dollars on all other sites. It seems that the 99 dollar deal they sent you was in fact a good deal. i would email them and apologize if I were you...........
+10000000000000 the rest are cheap Chinese rejects sold gray mkt on ebay live and learn
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #23

Amazon has the same UPC for more than $100, but they have a couple of items that look pretty much the same for under $25 or $30,even from the same manufacturer. Interesting that the $100 price point is from...PPL Motorhomes! If you can get it...take the money!

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Hitlights.com has what would seem similar package at $65... theirs has more color options and a more complicated remote controller. My impression is the LED strips look the same in their little spools, but there could be quality differences. I don't know, just speculating.
some are not OUTDOOR RATED and this becomes a problem very fast!
2017 SUZUKI KINQQUAD 500 EPS
TRAVELINBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #25
Senior Senior Member

Here is a comment from one customer.... buyer beware indeed......

I have purchased a total of 14 sets of these lights and they seemed to work wonderfully. As they are waterproof we had no hesitation in installing them outside and installed them on the side of our camper under an awning. We noticed last weekend there had been a color shift on the light string and unplugged them. Last night we were going to replace them and when we were taking them down we discovered that they had actually gotten so hot they had BURNED through the fiberglass siding on the camper and could very easily have burned the camper down with us inside. I have since removed all of these lights from our property and contacted the seller. I have pictures of the burned camper wall as well as of the lights but do not see a way to add them to the review.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #26

travel bob what do you base your theory that the ones sold on ebay are second rate? I have looked at the ones I purchased and the ones in the store at $60 to $100 and have not seen a difference. And just so you know they are all made in china.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:14 PM   #27

Sounds like you are comparing apples and grapes here. Yes the roll of single color LED lights is found many places for around $20. But add the remote, multi colors, converter full wiring etc and you have a much different package. May also be a better quality strip for more money. Please try to be a bit more careful in price comparisons and be sure you are comparing very similar items.
rlehberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #28

How about a little proof on that rieh.
And Happy you sir are correct.If it is electrical 99% is from china RV light fixtures/microwaves/ flat screens and their remotes ect ect ect
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #29

I guess I've been lucky dealing with PPL, most recently with our MaxxAir II vent covers, for which the RV dealer wanted to charge us over $100 ("because the smoke ones are special order) and which I got from PPL for less than $100 - including shipping - FOR TWO. It probably depends on what you order, but I don't have anything bad to say about PPL.

BTW, this forum was invaluable for installation advice when it came to those buggers...I lost sleep thinking they weren't installed right only to find out they were just fine! Next time I'll just do a search on this forum!

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
2005 Honda Element (toad)
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth, to seek and find.
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:25 PM   #30

This is not price gouging. Price gouging is when people are desperate and hav no other options and people stick it to them.

You, in fact, DO have other options. If you don't like their prices, then don't buy from them. But it is not gouging, it is business.

The fact is, they will go out of business if they aren't competitive, and that is the sweetest revenge of all.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #31

Some supplies are usually over priced at all RV stores. I usually shop around. But I could never give up on PPL with respect to their RV sales. They have the best ads and usually the best prices on used models. Plus, they have sold four out of the five units we moved up from.
I'd be tickled if all RV sellers could post the same info on their ads.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #32
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Not all spools are the same . Some will have a slightly smaller LED but produce basically the same results. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #33

rlehberger, we are comparing the some thing , you can get the same multi color leds with remote and AC to DC transformer for around $20. I can get 5M (16 feet ) of 5050 RGB lights with remote but no transformer for $13.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #34

Please realize that there are several Substantial Differences between Items offered Online (especially eBay and ESPECIALLY from OverSeas Sellers) and those offered at Brick&Mortar Stores.
1) Stores require Staff - supposedly at least nominally familiar with Customer Needs and Product Details (YMMV)
2) Stores require Shelf Space for all Items offered
3) Stores provide "Targeted Merchandise" to their expected Clientele - you expect to find RV-related Items in a CW or PPL while "May Find Something" on Amazon and are "On your Own" with eBay or AliExpress/AliBaba
4) Stores provide a Returns/Customer Service Counter (although Success at that Counter is variable) while Online Stores may well require you Return-Ship Overseas for any Service or Refund
5) Stores have to find Suppliers of sufficient Quality and Quantity to make it worthwhile to carry their Products (and Risk the Store Reputation over any Supplier Quality Issues)
6) Stores have to cover costs of "Shoppers" who spend time In-Store talking to Staff and Touching Merch only to walk-out and then Buy Online elsewhere

I'm not Defending CW or other real Stores, but they DO operate in a Different Cost Structure and Customer Environment.
And...
Do we ever want to get to a time when All Stores are Online-Only, and we can Never Go somewhere to Talk to Someone and Touch a Product before Buying??
Old 09-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigell View Post
Please realize that there are several Substantial Differences between Items offered Online (especially eBay and ESPECIALLY from OverSeas Sellers) and those offered at Brick&Mortar Stores.
1) Stores require Staff - supposedly at least nominally familiar with Customer Needs and Product Details (YMMV)
2) Stores require Shelf Space for all Items offered
3) Stores provide "Targeted Merchandise" to their expected Clientele - you expect to find RV-related Items in a CW or PPL while "May Find Something" on Amazon and are "On your Own" with eBay or AliExpress/AliBaba
4) Stores provide a Returns/Customer Service Counter (although Success at that Counter is variable) while Online Stores may well require you Return-Ship Overseas for any Service or Refund
5) Stores have to find Suppliers of sufficient Quality and Quantity to make it worthwhile to carry their Products (and Risk the Store Reputation over any Supplier Quality Issues)
6) Stores have to cover costs of "Shoppers" who spend time In-Store talking to Staff and Touching Merch only to walk-out and then Buy Online elsewhere

I'm not Defending CW or other real Stores, but they DO operate in a Different Cost Structure and Customer Environment.
And...
Do we ever want to get to a time when All Stores are Online-Only, and we can Never Go somewhere to Talk to Someone and Touch a Product before Buying??
So the OP goes to that store to make a purchase?
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #36

Just have to shop around when you want something no matter what it is. I still say RV dealers are high in general for everything just like car dealerships are. Shop around I love the net and can shop a lot of stores in a very short time.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #37

Had to jump in here

RV stores sell a product that is professionally packaged with the same stuff we buy on eBay. Instructions are probably Americanized but never-the-less, it's still a Chinese product.

My brother-in-law paid $130 for his light set, I have the same lights for $20. Mine have been up for 2 years with rain storms, travel, camper washing, and summer heat. Still working, still on my original IR controller and remote. I've given him one of my extra controllers and remotes as his didn't last a year.

I do NOT spray water directly on the LED's even though they are supposed to be waterproof. But at the cost of a 5 meter strip I could replace them a few times before I reached the RV stores price.

Some things I will buy at an RV store, but not LED light strips. My local RV store has pricing that is competitive with most Amazon items but available now. I want them to stay in business so I help when I can.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:39 PM   #38

Just because one retailer sells for more doesn't classify as gouging, to me. IMO $65 from a reputable dealer that stands by his product is what I intend to do, but its a free country. My factory LED strip bit the dust in less than a year. It looks like fairly good quality to me. Gut feeling... these lights won't hold up in FLAs humidity. Pretty but not made for the real world.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 PM   #39

Its not the same item
Old 09-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #40

I buy some small ticket items form a local place that only does repairs, storage, consignment, and has a small store that can order parts. I think you get a different level of help when they know you spend money there.
tinasdude is offline   Reply With Quote