Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #1

Purchasing a trailer, help

I am trying to purchase a Forest River Rockwood 2509s. I cannot get any salesman to follow through after the initial inquiry. I am more than willing to travel to get it. I have a hard time even getting a price. I realize new ones are in short supply right now, but the lack of common courtesy in this industry is surprising.

Can someone advise me to a reliable and helpful RV dealer?
Thanks.
Chfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfox View Post
I am trying to purchase a Forest River Rockwood 2509s. I cannot get any salesman to follow through after the initial inquiry. I am more than willing to travel to get it. I have a hard time even getting a price. I realize new ones are in short supply right now, but the lack of common courtesy in this industry is surprising.

Thanks.
Hi and Welcome to FRF.
You must be new to rv forums because this has been discussed on a daily basis. Expecting common courtesy from the typical RV dealership is only going to cause disappoint.
I would get a quote from RVW or RV One. Both are big volume Rockwood dealers and they will be more responsive. Then can decide whether to buy from them or use their quotes to shop with.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #3

We bought our current TT from a smaller dealership in Hamburg NY. Our experience with them was good. Our previous TT we bought here in Erie from a larger family owned dealership. That went fine as well. After the sale at both places was fine as well. However you will find difficulty in getting most warranty work performed from March to November since it is busy season and many places are understaffed. We had warranty work performed on both after the season was over. Scheduled a day and the work was performed. Many small Items are better just taken care of by yourself. Our current TT I sent pics to the dealer of what needed attention and what I could do on my own. They sent the parts needed and I completed the work. I went to a local dealer for one issue and they gladly did the warranty work, after the season was over.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:34 PM   #4

Good Choice!

We purchased a 2021 2509S three months ago. We are very pleased and think you will be, too. They were also in short supply then, so we bought one sight unseen after looking at "parts" of the trailer (such as the murphy bed) in other models. These are unusual times, for sure.

We removed the top bunk and now have three adult-size sleeping areas (murphy bed, dinette, bunk).
Tom 2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks.

You didn't mention the area where you live.

Good dealers can often be found by word of mouth, i.e., personal recommendations.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
You didn't mention the area where you live.

Good dealers can often be found by word of mouth, i.e., personal recommendations.
Their profile says Crozet, Virginia.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 01-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #7

We found it challenging dealing with the ones in our local area in Central California, but found good success with several out-of-state dealers. We have ordered a MiniLite 2513s through Wana RV in Indiana with very good service so far. They are a smaller dealership near the factory. I also checked with several of the large out of state dealers mentioned in other posts and they also were helpful.
1940 Chevy Special Deluxe
1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion
rvflyer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
We bought our current TT from a smaller dealership in Hamburg NY. Our experience with them was good. Our previous TT we bought here in Erie from a larger family owned dealership. That went fine as well. After the sale at both places was fine as well. However you will find difficulty in getting most warranty work performed from March to November since it is busy season and many places are understaffed. We had warranty work performed on both after the season was over. Scheduled a day and the work was performed. Many small Items are better just taken care of by yourself. Our current TT I sent pics to the dealer of what needed attention and what I could do on my own. They sent the parts needed and I completed the work. I went to a local dealer for one issue and they gladly did the warranty work, after the season was over.

I am assuming the Hamburg dealer was Ballards. I have heard good things about them as well and am about to buy a trailer from there. How was the new trailer prep from them?
neb5482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvflyer57 View Post
We found it challenging dealing with the ones in our local area in Central California, but found good success with several out-of-state dealers. We have ordered a MiniLite 2513s through Wana RV in Indiana with very good service so far. They are a smaller dealership near the factory. I also checked with several of the large out of state dealers mentioned in other posts and they also were helpful.
We drove from Napa, California to Chicago and back, for our first new trailer. Was tired of the West Coast inflated prices and dealers unwilling to deal. They dared us to make the drive if we wanted cheaper prices. We were willing to pay for the higher shipping cost difference, if they would be willing to come within $1000 of the Chicago dealer's price. All 3 dealers refused.
The funny thing is that one of them ended up doing warranty work on the trailer.
Old 01-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #10

If you are anywhere around Danville, VA I would recommend RV Outlet USA (rv007.com). We were there 2 days ago and had the model you mentioned. Their online price on the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s is $25,950.00. He this helps.
Necrosapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:40 PM   #11

RVWholesalers is only a day's drive from Virginia and I believe they will give you a quote via email. I've not bought a camper in years but find $26K hard to believe is a good price for this one.

https://www.rvwholesalers.com/design...loorplan=2509s

Usually has dozens of campers either on the lot or on order.

https://www.rvwholesalers.com/invent...wood-mini-lite

Don't let a day's drive scare you, the trailer will come to Virginia behind some guy's truck and you'll be paying for shipping either way. Consider a camping adventure.

-- Chuck
Old 01-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
RVWholesalers is only a day's drive from Virginia and I believe they will give you a quote via email. I've not bought a camper in years but find $26K hard to believe is a good price for this one.

https://www.rvwholesalers.com/design...loorplan=2509s

Usually has dozens of campers either on the lot or on order.

https://www.rvwholesalers.com/invent...wood-mini-lite

Don't let a day's drive scare you, the trailer will come to Virginia behind some guy's truck and you'll be paying for shipping either way. Consider a camping adventure.

-- Chuck
Unfortunately they are rather high right now. The model we bought for about 21K could be bought for as little as 18K a year ago. The Rockwood he asked about was only about 20-21K a little over a year ago. You can thank COVID for creating a sellers market for RVs.
Necrosapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #13

Shady Maple RV in New Holland, PA will call you back if you call after hours, but they will always answer when they are open. You can’t ask for better customer service than what you get there.

They have a 2509S on the way to them right now.

Their number is 717-351-0087

Bruce
Old 01-07-2021, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:

Thanks.
A general idea of where you are located may help.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Their profile says Crozet, Virginia.
Looking at the question hoping I could help, not prying into their profile.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:51 AM   #16

Quote:

Thanks.
Its a few hrs drive to get to Harrisburg from your area and just east is RV Value Mart

https://www.rvvaluemart.com/new-rvs-for-sale

I bought my trailer there a few years ago. Their internet prices are legit. Put the down payment in with pickup scheduled for 3 weeks later. They were busy going to RV shows so it would take awhile to prep, etc. When I showed to pick it up they said they dropped the price $1k at the latest show and I was entitled to that price. Can't get much better than that. Have never had a reason to take the trailer in for repairs so can't comment on service.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:02 AM   #17
Site Team

One word of caution if buying remotely ( unseen). You should verify all the features you expect are actually in the unit. RV manufacturers change the configuration of their units randomly and the the literature is not always up to date. This is especially important now as OEM supplies are in tight supply.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by neb5482 View Post
I am assuming the Hamburg dealer was Ballards. I have heard good things about them as well and am about to buy a trailer from there. How was the new trailer prep from them?
Yes Ballards. Delivery was good. The PDI was a little fast, but since we were previous TT owners we knew the important things to be sure and check. They allowed me to install my Hensley hitch in the bay the TT was in for the PDI. We took delivery early April so was a cold windy day and was nice to have the 45 minutes to do the install inside.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:26 AM   #19
Mopar Guy

check out suburban RV Center in Ohio, They sell rockwood. Amazing response from them when i bought my camper we had ironed out a deal within minutes of making contact (through email no less)
Cost4133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cost4133 View Post
check out suburban RV Center in Ohio, They sell rockwood. Amazing response from them when i bought my camper we had ironed out a deal within minutes of making contact (through email no less)
That’s where and how I bought my 2019 Wolf pup 16BHS. Great people, knew how to set up a WDH correctly. About 200 miles from me. Emails & phone contact, they even sent me pics of the 2019 changes and got a great price agreed to in an email. Got it for $11,500 base price, 2018 selling 40 miles away for $16,000 base price. Base price meaning before taxes and state paperwork, WDH purchase. I wasn’t going to buy one until after I towed it home if needed, not needed spec wise. The owner thought I really needed one and had a traded used one in the right size for a good price. Glad I bought it.
Found them through www.RV trader.com. Great locating and pricing site.
They don’t seem as savvy in arranging finance. Best to do it yourself, especially buying out of state, because it caused me a bit of hassle titling and registering in my home state.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer