Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #1

Purchasing Help

Hi All, My husband and I are in the process of buying our 2nd TT. First is a Springdale bunkhouse. We like it, but are ready to upgrade. We have many choices around the same price point. I so don't want to make a mistake, especially when it comes to quality. The ones we are looking at are the 2012 Prime Time Tracer 3150BHD, 2011 Forest River Rockwood 8317RKSS, 2011 Heartland Caliber 325 OKBH, and a Jayco Eagle 314BDS. We just have no idea which TT has quality construction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
bkfalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #2

I do not have first hand experience with all the tt's you listed, so my opinion on their quality would only be speculation.
I currently own a PT LaCrosse and the quality and features are as good or better than any other brand in the same price range. PT really stands out when it comes to customer service. No one does it better. Check out the Prime Time section under the FORUMS tab.

Good luck.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #3

We have camped for over 40 years, owning everything from tents, pop-ups, TT, fifth-wheel and now our first hybrid. All are built and assembled in a rapid manner. For example, using screws with a large thread pitch for fast installation but smaller holding power. All makes will have some vehicles built where installed appliances and/or devices fail.

That said, you should purchase from companies who have been around for a substantial period of time and who have a reputation of good customer service and standing behind their products and warranties. Your dealer can also do wonders when it comes to getting the factory to stand behind the product. If the dealer is "pressuring you" to make a purchase, that is a bad sign. A good dealer is interested in your complete satisfaction to protect their reputation.

We recently purchased a hybrid trailer and while comparing different makes, I looked at these things: size of fresh water tank compared to gray and black water tanks, how is plumbing and wiring installed under the trailer (will it vibrate or rub), is insulation installed where needed, are drain pipes braced, is there a rear bumper for carrying the sewer hose and is the bumper welded to the frame securely, are doors sealed well. Also, can I see the fresh water tank so I know how much water I have when the "idiot lights" fail (and they often fail), Is the awning attached securely and will it open/close properly, is the water pump loud, is there space for clothes (many RVs are short on wardrobes), is the medicine cabinet plastic or wood, are there adequate elec. outlets placed for our needs, are there adequate heat ducts placed for good ventilation/heating. I opted for a smooth fiberglass siding over a ribbed metal siding for easier cleaning, a curved roof for better drainage, can you get to the appliances and mechanics for service, does the water heater have a by-pass kit for winterizing. These are a few things to look at.

Our choice this last purchase was a Forest River Shamrock 19. We downsized from a 28' Jayco Qwest 5th wheel and reduced our weight from about 6,000 to about 4,000 lbs. I also opted for the Equalizer WDH with built-in sway control. I tow with a 2002 GMC 1500 Sierra and I've got sufficient power to travel to MT, CO, FL, ME, MA, MI,OH, IN, WI, MN, KY, TN, PA, NY, etc. I cruise around 55-60 mph and drive mountains in the truck lane. I averaged 12 mpg towing the 6,000 lb. trailer and am shooting for 15 mpg with the new trailer.

Good luck with your new purchase and happy camping.
HandymanCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote