Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #41

Forest River

We purchased a new 2015 Salem Forest River trailer, we are on our 4th air conditioner, the remote control didn't work, the shower leaked into to living room area, the battery went bad in the first 2 weeks, the couch coating came off. There were loose wires causing the breaker to trip. Thankfully we have a 5 year warranty.
wnew813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #42

We have a 2018 Rockwood 2608sb and we love the floor plan BUT since we bought it we have had nothing but bad luck. First trip out a rock hit front window and cracked. 6 months later the bath room cabinet separated from the wall and it took 4 months to fix. 8 months later we now have a bubble on the side of the trailer and the extended warranty will not cover the fix. Not saying not to buy one. Just letting you know our luck with it. We had another trailer that was a cheap trailer and never had to get anything fixed.
RandyLoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #43

I bought a 2004 Flagstaff 827fls which, as stated before, is a Rockwood. I've only had to do the regular maintenance stuff like caulking, cleaning and replace a few worn exterior parts. Like the range vent and city water inlet.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #44

Grey wolf 29te

We purchased a 2018 grey wolf 29te last August. After taking it out 5 times little quality issues started showing up. Our refrigerator died which isn’t forest rivers fault then trim came off of sofa & wall. The locks stuck & nails weren’t put in correctly. Forest river helped get everything fixed but I would definitely look closer with the next rv.
ljbowser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:48 PM   #45

Quality Difference Between Forest River Brands.

We purchased a new 2019 Rockwood 2109S. Left after getting it on 7150 miles, 6 week trip. The only real complaint that I have with the Rockwood is their new step design. It completely swings inside the trailer for traveling. 8 difference times there was not enough adjustment were I had to either block it up to support the steps before use or completely remove the legs so we open and close the door. Great concept but I'm guessing the designers never used in an actual camping situation. Only used in a level paved parking lot or inside a factory on a concrete floor. Aside from that complaint, we had no major issues just a bunch of little things that I felt for a $28K trailer should have never happened. Missing grommets on the stove top, dirt in the venturi tube on the refrigerator that keep it from relighting, staples in molding and wall panels coming out. Rockwood decal on the front torn during installation, fan on A/C only working on one speed, tear in the back of the sofa and a small slice in the bathroom floor. Dealer has had in for 3 weeks awaiting approvals and then parts. Hoping that after these are taken care of we will be free and clear. We had a used 2011 Kodiak that we put over 16K miles on and never had an issue.
farmallm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 PM   #46

Flagstaff by Forest River

Purched our second TT the being of this summer 2019. We had been looking at Forest River for a few months and decided to go with a Flagstaff 25FBLS. We have had it out 6 time this summer from 6 day trips to weeekend quick trips. Haven't had many problems other than some minor warranty issues which the dealership is taking care of now. It's perfect for the 2 of us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_190038.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	217512   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_184104.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	217513   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_084930.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	217514   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_084429.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	217515  
Joe M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #47
Good Times

Our Grey Wolf 25RR Toy Hauler

We purchased our 2012 Cherokee Gray Wolf 25RR toy hauler in 2013. In the six years and numerous camping trips one including a complete trip around Lake Michigan we have never had any problems with interior, exterior or appliances. Build quality seems to be solid stable and secure. Camping in her right now for the past week with zero issues. We spend an average of 40 days each summer traveling and carrying our 2008 Polaris Sportsman Touring ATV with us. Very happy with this Grey Wolf.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C930258-FF9E-427E-B0A4-9E17DDAB0658.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	217516  
DieselDog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:27 PM   #48

I spent 20k on my 19' 26dbh grey wolf and while there have been some minor door adjustments, so far so good and all is well. Ive come to realize that you can now spend less on a pretty decent rv than you will on a new car these days avg 35k. 20k for a second home, theres some value to that.
Krabage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:55 AM   #49

silverback37rth

Wow, this one hits close to home. I have a new 2019 silverback37rth and have had only a few issues with it. The bed lift on one side lost a brake on the drive motor and it drifts down from the up position.

More on topic, I watched Josh the RV geek from Clearwater Michigan youtube video describe it this way. Most trailer frames and exteriors are comparable these days. The difference in price is for the amenities inside, the insulation ect. An aluminum hull frame is just that. There are different process's like how the sidewalls are laminated etc but that costs about the same, relatively. The price difference, ergo the class is mostly based on stuff the builder buys and installs. Like the oven, microwave, furniture and all that. I think that has a lot of truth to it. The dealer doesn't make tires, frames, or suspension parts. He doesn't make toilets or tanks either, those are all things he buys and installs. You want nicer cabinets, he makes them, they just cost more for materials which he also doesn't make.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:15 AM   #50

Buy a Northwood. I owned a rockwood and it was nothing but trouble.
Fireman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:51 AM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman2 View Post
Buy a Northwood. I owned a rockwood and it was nothing but trouble.
Wasn't it a used 5 year old Rockwood 2603?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #52

Run away from Forest River

Bought a new 2018 Forest River Cherokee 274rk last November. First time buying new. Brought it home from dealer mid April. First trip out...electric tongue jack didn't work, hot water tank wouldn't fire on propane. after getting it home and dumping black/gray tanks. used the black tank flush. leaked inside. Dealer had it four weeks to replace board in hwt, O'Ring on btf & rewire tongue jack.
Second trip out...belly underneath camper sagging real bad after 2 days. I didn't dare travel 3 hrs with it like that. I was dry camping, so I had the black/gray tanks pumped and drained clean water before traveling home. Took to dealer for repair. They discovered the tanks were not secured properly and neither was the propane line. Missing lots of clamps. Dealer had it a week because of the warranty department and I also had to call them and complain.
Last trip of the season with it...I discovered the gutter over the awning was leaking at a seam & shower is now leaking. I took it to the dealer for winterizing & repair. Dealer was told by warranty department that they don't warranty sealant. It cost me almost $150.00 out of my pocket to have those sealed. That is BS! A camper less than a year old. I would not recommend a Forest River Product. There is no quality control at all and all they want to do is sell. Their warranty department sucks!

Kevin
kevin388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 06:43 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
Although we are in the process of trading up to a new trailer, we’ve had two trouble free years with our Rockwood Mini Lite.
Same here:
Two Rockwood campers, 4 seasons and very minor problems with Rockwood.
That being said, to have a dealer that cares and is good on finding and fixing things is, in my view and experience, as important as the brand quality of your camper.

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #54
Site Team

Lots of inputs from both Grey Wolf and Rockwood owners so you should have some good decision points to consider. Probably the most important thing to add is to make this a business transaction and not an emotional one. When you finally decide on a brand and model, insist on a thorough walk through inspection and watch everything work. If the unit is winterized have them dewinterize and demo the water system. Do not sign any paperwork or take the unit until you are happy with it. Dealer service depts are overloaded and once you sign your name, you have lost all your leverage. If you find a problem, tell the dealer you will be back to complete the deal once it is repaired. Leave your excitement at home and don't be afraid to walk away if something does not seem right.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:19 AM   #55

Rockwood Brand is Solid

In my opinion the Rockwood Brand is solid. We owned a 32' Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 5th wheel and we didn't have any issues with it. It came with some nice standard features such as slide toppers and awning covers that protect your investment and are not typically standard with most coaches. The build was solid (for example, we traded our 2018 Rockwood in for a bigger 5th wheel (Sierra 378FB)...but on the Rockwood you could NOT push the walls in or the shower surround etc. We love our Sierra (and so far so good), but it does seem like the build quality was a bit better in the Rockwood. This is just my opinion. I also think that just like cars, you can get a lemon..or not.
JayneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:57 AM   #56

We bought a brand new Grey Wolf and have had nothing but issues with terrible build quality. There were items that I have no idea could pass any quality control. For example, gutters were pieced together in multiple sections with a joint right above a slide out. Cheapest materials and build quality, but cheapest prices so it's what you would expect I guess.
HappyCamper0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #57
jkoenig24

" I didn't know what I didn't know."

THIS hits the nail on the head, ESPECIALLY for first time buyers. ALL "newbies" would be VERY well served by getting a good basic education BEFORE they break out the checkbook. A GREAT way to get this education is to attend an RV Boot Camp. The Escapees RV Club runs an EXCELLENT RVBC several times a year (and, in several locations). They do a great job of explaining and demystifying the systems found on a modern RV as well as topics like WEIGHT RATINGS (which, to many, can seem arcane and convoluted but, are critical to understand). They get this all done one a weekend! Other groups (FMCA, RVSEF, RV~Dreams and probably others) run their own version of RVBC. ALL RVs are compromises (like so many things in life). I recommend that a buyer learns the NEGATIVES about an RV so, they can make an INFORMED decision. The negatives are what will drive you crazy (and possibly give you an ulcer). The POSITIVE aspects are gravy. Many (most?) RVers go through two or more RVs before they find the RV that's ideal for their needs. I frequently recommend that people "start small", LEARN about RV living and, keep careful notes as to what works well for them, what they'd like to have (but don't) and, TALK to other RV owners about their rigs. Ask those other owners what they would CHANGE on their RV. It can be an eye opening conversation. By going this route, you're FAR less likely to spend many thousands of dollars on a rig that just isn't right for your needs. ALL of the RV builders & dealers sell the "sizzle". What RV buyers want and need is the "steak". Keep your eyes and ears open and, at least initially, leave your checkbook home.

PS: after the classroom work each day, many attendees will have their RVs with them. THOSE are the people you want to talk to about SPECIFIC RVs. Most RVers and happy to talk about their rigs. Be ready to take notes & pictures! Some of those newbies will, sadly, soon discover that they've bought the wrong RV. RVBC graduates are not only safer RVers; they also smarter RV buyers! You can thank me later.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #58

I have a 2015 Grey Wolf 23BD. System wise, water electric and gas all is good with no problems. Construction wise the cabinets stuck. Go with something that is glued and screwed instead of press cardboard and shelving paper. Our cabinets are peeling. Some places where it has gotten wet on the floor and places where it has not. We have a bulge in one area of the siding. My DH thought I was over stuffing my closet with clothes. We really like the layout. We have upgraded the mattress and I will be recovering the dinette with better foam. We ( I ) would like to go with SOB, but just not in the cards right now. We are also adding another cargo door to have a real passthrough. Getting tired of lugging everything around the trailer to set up. This is our first tt.
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roachhill View Post
I only have experience with the V-Cross but it was such a piece a garbage I would never consider buying anything by Forest River. It completely fell apart before it was even paid for. Started having problems from day one and the dealer fixed practically nothing. I seriously would have been better off borrowing 30 grand then setting the pile of cash on fire.
You have experience with one unit from one of many FR divisions and you say "Forest River is all crap"? Well... OK. I'd say one weak link in your chain is your dealership. I had some rough initial stuff with my Wildcat but I got them to fix stuff.
While I'm at it, have you checked discussion boards (and even here) for quality reports on other manufacturing companies? I've seen reports of Grand Design owners swearing to never buy another Grand Design and of their plans to buy Forest River next.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #60

Silverback are pretty tough units
Kennypatrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river, quality