Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Help! Question about taxes and registraton

This is the second on many questions I am sure we will have over the coming months, since this will be a totally new experience for us.

We are planning on selling our house and buying a 5th wheel and truck. We want to travel and see our beautiful country and have a slower and more simple lifestyle. What do we do about taxes and registration? We currently live in Louisiana but after we sell our house, we will technically have no residence except for our 5th wheel. We are wondering how other people have approached this issue.

Thank you in advance for your help. We hope one day we will be informed and knowledgeable and be able to give back.
biebeda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Always Learning

Not to send you elsewhere, but the Escapees RV Club is more geared toward those who full-time it and have stuff written up about fulltiming:

Escapees RV Club
Old 10-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #3

Also check out "Living the RV Dream" podcast.

Living the RV Dream homepage
Old 10-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #4

I spoke with a fulltimer last spring and he did exactly that.....sold his primary residence and travelled the country. What he did was have his attorney open a business LLC in Montana and claimed that as his primary residence. His tv and fiver were registered in the state. I'm not sure how it all played out but found it creative none-the-less.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Many folks establish residence in Midland TX via a post office box.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I spoke with a fulltimer last spring and he did exactly that.....sold his primary residence and travelled the country. What he did was have his attorney open a business LLC in Montana and claimed that as his primary residence. His tv and fiver were registered in the state. I'm not sure how it all played out but found it creative none-the-less.
Having an LLC in MT, and licensing it there, you can avoid paying sales tax on an RV. I've known several people that have done it, although I hear they are trying to clamp down on it. I'm not sure what other benefits MT would have as far as a residency is concerned.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #7

You will have to establish a residency some where in this vast country. That residency will be determined by the state you choose, and their specific rules to become domiciled. Why hasn't anyone picked a high taxed state. Why do most of the posts steer you to low or no sales tax states. That's not fair. I'm kidding.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
MC9

That is why Texas, Montana and South Dakota license plates don't mean that is where you are from.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #9

An LLC in a low, or no sales tax state will work well. Me I just bought a PO Box, with forwarding privileges, and for a residence address I use my daughter's. I ran into a few important concerns that needed an actual residential address, and my Montana LLC was not sufficient. I still have it, but don't use it much. Example: We did not sell our home, and leased it out instead for extra income. Our daughter's address is in the same state as our leased out home. One thing about an LLC. Do your home work before picking a company to build it for you. The wrong low costs LLC builder could get you in a lot of trouble when it comes to some states, and federal income tax time. I know a lot of folks who have built their own, so that too could done.