Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

Question on reliability and XtraRide protection plan

I'm trying to decide if I should purchase the XtraRide five-year protection plan on my new Rockwood 2306. My first reaction was "no", but I'm trying to consider all factors. Can anyone weigh in on the following:

1) The protection plan provides a full refund if you end up not using it. Has anyone ever bought a plan, not used it, and truly gotten the full amount refunded back to them?

2) What is the real-world longevity of various major components like the fridge, electric brakes, AC, furnace, and water heater? Will they usually last ~10 years, assuming they survive infant mortality in the first year? Or are they "likely" to break in the 3-5 year range?

3) Assuming I don't go with the protection plan and something like the water heater DOES break after three years, is it something I can buy and replace myself on the cheap? Or will I need to go through a dealer / repair facility and pay top dollar?

My sales guy offered up the following pitch. Any thoughts?

While things may be easy to work on, who is going to pay for the expensive parts that need to be replaced once it goes bad? You will still have these large costs. Below are a few items just to name a few of costs you could be looking at. So with the costs of these, and the fact the plan is 100% refundable if it is not used, truly makes this a no-brainer.

Fridge: $1700 to $2200 for replacement.
Electric Braking System: about $1000 to replace this
Air Conditioner Replacement: $1100-$1400 for replacement ($850 Part cost)
Furnace: $1000-$1300 Replacement ($800 Part Cost)
Water Heater: $700-$1100
Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #2

2 things to consider:

1. Will the warranty company still be around when you need them? I've heard of people buying these and when it's time to use the warranty the company is out of business.

2. I had my last TT 7 years and never had any of those items replaced or repaired. Just the awning fabric and tires. The prices you quoted are for full replacement. Would you really replace the entire item or have it repaired at a fraction of that cost?

Ok, 3 really. It really comes down to how you feel and what makes you sleep good at night. I always thought the warranties were overpriced and unncessary.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #3

Do you mind telling us how much they quoted you for this warranty? If it's $500 then it might be worth it. If it's $2,500 then you could bank the $ yourself and then not have to worry about if or when you use it.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #4

Their initial offer is $1500 for five years. I'm assuming they'll come down a little, but probably not below $1000 (which might help convince me ).
Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

I guess I'm curious...if it is 100% reimbursable if it isn't used then how do they make $ on those policies. The 1st thing you hear from people is that these policies are in place to make $ (for both the dealer and the company endorsing them). If that's the case, then how can they make a profit if they are reimbursing people's $ at the end. They are either making a bunch of $ on interest or they are hoping people only use a portion of it and not all. There has to be some hook to that.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
I guess I'm curious...if it is 100% reimbursable if it isn't used then how do they make $ on those policies. The 1st thing you hear from people is that these policies are in place to make $ (for both the dealer and the company endorsing them). If that's the case, then how can they make a profit if they are reimbursing people's $ at the end. They are either making a bunch of $ on interest or they are hoping people only use a portion of it and not all. There has to be some hook to that.
You nailed that one on the head!!! They are making interest on all the money that they have for 5 years out of people so doubling there money and when people us it they make the original $ that you gave them. So dont ever thing that they are not making money!! they will tell you that and what you want to hear.
muzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
camping

my thoughts.. get the 2 year warranty from FR and then decide after that. does their warranty start the day you take delivery or after the manufacture warranty ends, so is it a 5 year or 4 year warranty? really read the fine print, ask for a copy, how long have they been around, etc.... as said above they are in it to make money.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #8

These are all good points! I guess my bottom line question is this: how long do major components / subsystems typically last? I know that's a loaded question, but are the odds better than 50/50 that something will break in the first five years? If so, then the protection plan seems to make sense. My reasoning is this -- the ~$1000 itll cost me to buy the plan up front can be rolled into my loan so I don't really notice the cost (other than the little bit of extra interest I'll be paying. Whereas if I don't buy the plan and something breaks, I need to come up with the ~$1000 cash out of pocket for whatever repair is needed. Can anyone fault my logic?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #9
camping

have you read thru the plan yet and have you researched the company that provides it. really look at it - don't take the word of the salesmen. make sure there are no hidden deductibles or fees for diagnosis. do they prorate anything?

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post
These are all good points! I guess my bottom line question is this: how long do major components / subsystems typically last? I know that's a loaded question, but are the odds better than 50/50 that something will break in the first five years? If so, then the protection plan seems to make sense. My reasoning is this -- the ~$1000 itll cost me to buy the plan up front can be rolled into my loan so I don't really notice the cost (other than the little bit of extra interest I'll be paying. Whereas if I don't buy the plan and something breaks, I need to come up with the ~$1000 cash out of pocket for whatever repair is needed. Can anyone fault my logic?
If you payed the 1000 Cash up front you would be better then putting it in your loan cause in the end after how every many years your loan is you will have payed way more then 1000 bucks for that warranty. That is just how i always feel about the extended warranty never put it in your loan. It is your choice if you think when something breaks and your will not be about to afford 1000 or 2000 out of your pocket then get the warranty. It is your desicion go with your gut and don't let other people make your life choices for you. Good luck and all the best!!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzbomb View Post
It is your desicion go with your gut and don't let other people make your life choices for you.
Fair comment, but I'm asking for advice here because I'm new to camping trailers and have absolutely no clue on what to expect for longevity. If it's a foregone conclusion that I'm going to spend $1000+ on repairs in the first five years, then I'm going to get the protection plan. If there's a decent chance that I won't need to spend money on repairs, then I won't get the plan.

I know it's impossible to be sure either way, which is why I'm asking -- have most people found that they needed major repairs in the first five years? Or is that the exception, not the rule?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #12

It is just the same as a car or truck you buy. Some are lemons and need to be in the shop fixing all the time and some are awesome never do a thing to them. I had a 08 F350 that lived in the shop i had factory warrenty on it no extended. After 2 years of it living in the shop getting fix just before my factory warranty was up i sold it. I have a 09 F350 now and it has never seen the shop(knock on wood) i have never done a thing to it i didn't get the extended warrenty either on it. You can pass now and go with the 2 year warranty from forest river and then see what it is like in 2 years. Cause you can always get extended warranty as long as your factory warranty hasnt ran out. This is what i did with my new camper i just bought. Hope this helps you i know how confusing it is.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #13

pg rider....Go to the Goodsams club web site. They offer a warranty. Read what it covers and its deductable. Also note that if you have slides, it does not cover seals. Read the coverage from each company carefully.........they vary on covered repairs........I have the same dilemma, and yes beware of warranty companies...they come and they go.........
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
camping

I saw this on their website:
RV
it has some of the coverage here and exclusions listed including the note
"* A complete list of exclusions appears in the vehicle service contract."
get a copy of that and read it before signing -
"The XtraRide RV Service Agreement Program is offered through the Asset Protection Division of Protective Life Insurance Company. The program has been exclusively endorsed by RVDA since 1992. The XtraRide programs and F&I solutions bring dealers increased profit opportunities while providing quality protection for their customers. Protective is dedicated to providing the RV industry with superior products and services given its ability to underwrite, administer, and market its own programs."

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #15

I bought the extended warranty on our 2008 FR 233T and havent had to use it yet. The other plan (company) that was offered that would pay the money back if not used 'folded'. If you have faith and confidence in the company then go for it.
On the next TT we buy I won't take the extra coverage.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
Site Team

For some of us this choice can be a tough decision to make. Decide what is best for you. I had the same questions and concerns when I first brought my tt. Once I picked up the second year warranty I got my *peace of mind*.

I've only been RVing for about 16 months but it doesn't seem that most people have major repair costs. With that said if having the extra coverage will give you peace of mind then you should consider it with knowing the pros and cons. Be sure to find out in detail what is covered and what will not be covered.

It's a risk but then not having one is a risk as well. Like most people I rather have the money in my account but I've been in the same spot as you too.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #17

That is a hard decision, but it is a personal decision. It comes down to the amount of risk you are willing to assume without an “insurance policy” which is the reality of an extended warranty. If you were asking about a 1 year extended warranty, I would not mention this; however, since you are talking about a 5 year extended warranty program, you may want to consider other factors such as planned life altering events, i.e. retirement. Consider proximity of retirement to purchase time. If retirement is a current event or a very near future event, consider equality of retirement income to working income. If you are a young person, these retirement considerations will have less meaning, but if you are older – well, you know where I am coming from.

While there are many personal factors to consider other than those mentioned, there are also considerable relevancies pertinent and very specific to these RVs. First, a person has to wonder why a product that cost as much as a motor vehicle only carries a 1 year warranty as you would think the warranty would be comfortable to that on motor vehicles. Secondly, if you start reading these forum threads, you’ll find problems ranging from electrical issues to burnt convertors and from cracked and warped frames to leaking roofs and delaminated walls on products in warranty and on those out of warranty. A lot of those units with problems are not that old, but none the less the problem did not occur until the warranty expired.

The roof warranty – you got to love it. More than likely, the sales representative told you the roof has a 12 year warranty? It does carry a 12 year warranty – with stipulations. He/she probably failed to mention that it is a prorated warranty beginning in year 3 of ownership. Furthermore, they probably did not mention that the owner is required to provide maintenance records and receipts when filing a roof warranty claim. In other words, the burden of proof is placed on the owner who is required to provide evidence of risks management. Look on the backside of your roof warranty document and you’ll find what is mentioned herein.

Well, you and I both know as to why the standard customary warranty is only 1 year as opposed to 3, 5, or 7 years without going in to detail. If a RV owner who is a weekend worrier camped every weekend in the year that would be 104 nights (52 weekends). If you add 10 nights to the 104, that brings the total nights to 114 per year which is roughly 31 percent of a year. You and I both know that the average working family cannot allocate that much time to camping. When looking at the available time that working people can allocate to this pastime, it can take a long time for a problem to surface. In practice, it probably takes the average family 5 years of camping to spend a year's worth of nights in a camper.

The decision to purchase or not to purchase an extended warranty is one that you have to make. Take in all considerations (especially those conducive to you personally) and make an informed decision. Should you decide to purchase the warranty, ask them about the 7 year warranty – you could probably hackle them down to the same price range as that for the 5 year program. Good luck in decision!
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #18
Retired

warranty

The dealer I bought my unit from wanted $2500.00. I bought better coverage and a longer time coverage policy that also covered the tires with the Good Sam Club, at least check them out before you buy.
Good luck.
Mike
Sunwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #19

If you had purchased a Large Motor Home then I would say go for it but since you have a 2306 like me and I have had my trailer for almost a year and have not had it in for any service - I would say bank the cash and pay for the forest river 2nd year warranty for peace of mind.

the only real work I have had to do to my trailer was tighten one of the spindle nut's cause the wheel had some play in it and replace the rubber caps that cover the Zirk fitting - one email to Al KO had me 4 new rubber seals in the mail at no charge.

Besides look at the warranty from each manufacture cause some are longer then what the initial warranty is - the only thing your warranty covers is the labor to remove and reinstall the piece. If you are handy with tools I would say 90% of the work can be done with out the dealer.

Check to see if the warranty covers Delamination (usually caused by a water leak) - that would be one of the big money items

Once you pick your trailer up my suggestion is to go to Camping world and buy two tubes of Dycor Self Leveling Lap Sealant and go over the seams in your roof and where the Antenna comes in from the roof top - after a month of ownership my roof had a small leak where the antenna comes in the roof - wasnt major and was an easy fix.

My dealer is 2 hours away so for me to fix it versus taking back to warranty work - I am saving money on the gas since my time is always free.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #20

Another point to think about IF you do get the extended warranty. In order to apply for your refund is you might have a window of 30 days after your warranty has expired. (I didn't read the fine print) on an aftermarket remote start I put on my previous truck that I added the extended warranty on. After the warrnty expired I bought something from that store and tried applying the refund but was told I waited too long to get the refund.
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote