Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #1

Questions before i sign....

I put a deposit down on a 2010 Cardinal 3640. I have not yet signed a purchase deal until there is a PDI. Should i hire someone to do the PDI, or is this something i can do on my own? (I'm a first time RVer). Is there an extensive PDI checklist i can use?
RV5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Site Team

here is a check list from the FRF library.
Forest River Forums - Downloads - PDI Checklist

Take your time with the pdi and ask questions. Using your cellphones camera to take a video can be helpful later. Too often dealers like to rush you through the process.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #3

Video is a great idea, but i'm still scared that even if i have the checklist, they will work around a problem without me knowing because i don't know what to look for..... does that make sense?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Sure it does, you have to check everything and you want to get it right!

Buying a used camper your also gonna want to check for signs of water damage. Bathrooms can be a problem area for floor issues from water damage as well as roof vents. Delaminating walls will look like bubbles in the exterior.
Hiring someone to do a walk thru can be a good idea, although I never used one. Bring a friend, often they may not be blinded by the excitement of all the eye candy.
I cant stress enough , take your time and look hard at everything! Make sure ALL things work!
If you see something you really don't like walk away!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #5

Thank you, Plato
Old 11-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #6

Highly recommend the videoing. You get hit with so much information it's really difficult to remember it all. Bring the friend... great idea. If your friend has RV experience, even better. Good luck & welcome!

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

I would take someone experienced with me like others have stated. And, if you walk away, be prepared to forfeit the deposit. If you could get a deposit back, it would be pointless to even require it.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

My husband and I divided up the PDI. He focused on the outside and mechanical issues and I focused on the inside and non-mechanical issues. This helped us cover more of our list and allowed one person to observe and think about what was being asked and how it was being answered with a little more objectiveness.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
Dr Travel

Having sold these beasts, recommend the following: 1) turn on and off EVERYTHING and make sure it not only works, but works RIGHT. Lights, fridge, hot water heater, fridge; TV, radio, AC, outside lights, awning extends and retracts; toilet, shower, sinks, fans. 2) look for abnormal wear and tear: tires, awning material, carpeting, steps, counters, sinks. 3) Biggest challenge as noted above is water damage - number one problem with RVs of all kinds. Check the roof closely, look for dried/brittle/separating caulk, roof material curling, evidence of water damage as noted above (softness in floors anywhere, walls at joints with roof - which reminds me, check on the floor of the shower for strength/solid); check garages for water damage. Oh and make sure garage lights work. Check the water system to make sure nothing leaks. Be sure to know where the filtration system is, how to access it, how to change it. Check all the tank gauges to see if they work/are accurate. Check the blinds to see if any need to be "restrung", a real pain in the butt! Turn on the burners to make sure they work, too. If you have a grill that hooks up outside to the propane tanks, check them out to be sure the connection works. Check the gauges on the propane to be sure it tells how much propane is left, or if it gives you a warning you are running out. If you have power vents, move them up and down to see how they work. Hope that helps. Keep a good accurate list, don't be in a hurry, you will have NO recourse once you buy…..
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
if you walk away, be prepared to forfeit the deposit. If you could get a deposit back, it would be pointless to even require it.

That's not always the case dustman. It really depends on the dealer. If the issue that causes you to not want to proceed with the purchase is legitimate and is the dealers fault, or has to do with a previously unseen or hidden condition or defect in the unit, most dealers will gladly refund your deposit with no BS even when you signed a document saying its non refundable. Common courtesy however says you give the dealer every possibility to make it right to your satisfaction so the sale can proceed.

If a dealer wants to fight you on it, and its truly their fault or they're trying to pull a fast one, then you don't want to be buying from them in the first place. Then you know they are just a POS. In that case you have to start making phone calls. Once they see your taking it to the next level you'll probably be getting it refunded in short order, but that's going to cost you a few hundred. Now days with the internet and forums such as this, those dealer games are getting harder to pull off if they want to stay in business. If a dealer wants to play those games hes banking on you just walking or not pursuing it from the start. Once you do he'll change his mind quick if you're in the right.

The issue can not be because you just "changed your mind". That's the what the deposit is meant to prevent. There is a cost to the dealer once you agree to buy. You should of also done your due diligence to a point before putting down the deposit. Especially so on a used unit.

Too bad you're in Texas and not here in PA, I'd love to go on your PDI with you RV5er. The dealer might not have liked it so much. I would of shown up with tools, ladders and creepers. Good luck.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Dr Travel

Hey, our dealership always made it clear: ALL deposit were refundable until the customer took delivery. The only unrefundable deposit was for a custom order. Otherwise, you changed your mind, you got your money back, no questions asked. Usually took two - three weeks time, but you got it back. Period.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
A roll of green masking tape. Mark concerns while doing the PDI. Revisit the green tape with the dealer to ask the questionable area or item. Check for rodent damage or urine stains on cushions or flooring.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't realize OP was buying a used trailer.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
That's not always the case dustman. It really depends on the dealer. If the issue that causes you to not want to proceed with the purchase is legitimate and is the dealers fault, or has to do with a previously unseen or hidden condition or defect in the unit, most dealers will gladly refund your deposit with no BS even when you signed a document saying its non refundable. Common courtesy however says you give the dealer every possibility to make it right to your satisfaction so the sale can proceed.

If a dealer wants to fight you on it, and its truly their fault or they're trying to pull a fast one, then you don't want to be buying from them in the first place. Then you know they are just a POS. In that case you have to start making phone calls. Once they see your taking it to the next level you'll probably be getting it refunded in short order, but that's going to cost you a few hundred. Now days with the internet and forums such as this, those dealer games are getting harder to pull off if they want to stay in business. If a dealer wants to play those games hes banking on you just walking or not pursuing it from the start. Once you do he'll change his mind quick if you're in the right.

The issue can not be because you just "changed your mind". That's the what the deposit is meant to prevent. There is a cost to the dealer once you agree to buy. You should of also done your due diligence to a point before putting down the deposit. Especially so on a used unit.

Too bad you're in Texas and not here in PA, I'd love to go on your PDI with you RV5er. The dealer might not have liked it so much. I would of shown up with tools, ladders and creepers. Good luck.
I agree with this. The deposit is made on a unit that has been represented accurately. If the dealer misrepresents the unit, then you can back out. Dealer will do the same thing on your trade value to you if you misrepresent it's condition.

Edit: I will say this- I think the OP will have a very hard time making this argument, however. It is a used unit, so it does not have to be flawless like a new one would. And it appears from the comments the OP made that they probably didn't know enough to question everything about condition. If the dealer made claims such as "no leaks", "everything works" and such, you could hold them to that, I suppose.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #15
Site Team

Ask the dealer several times if they are aware of any water intrusion or damage. Expect them to say no, but should need to take action later, you can say I asked several times and dealer said no. If you find items you want corrected, and the dealer says after you purchase it, you can bring it back to have it repaired interpret this to mean that you may be expected to leave the unit with the dealer for an extended period of time for a partial fix. Make sure you are OK with that before you sign.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #16

Well I will put this simple. you state you are a "First-time buyer" so I will assume you do not know much about all the systems involved in a RV and I will list some of the important items;
1) 12 electric system check
2) 120-volt electric system check
3) Propane system check
4) Plumbing system check
5) Chassis check
6) All appliances checked and in working order
and much more depending on options you have or order, so i hope this gives you some thought about some of the things that you need to know to do a PDI "Properly" Oh and let’s not forget if you do the PDI Inspection and then a few months down the road something goes wrong (anything) you could have your complete warranty "VOIDED" since you may not be properly "qualified" do this type of inspection.
Now you may be capable of doing the inspection BUT do you want to be that cheap about paying A PDI to take the change of throwing your whole warranty out the window (I am NOT)
SO for the few bucks it make cost it can save you "Thousands later" so i would give this some serious thought before you do this on your own!
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback 35ts View Post
Oh and let’s not forget if you do the PDI Inspection and then a few months down the road something goes wrong (anything) you could have your complete warranty "VOIDED" since you may not be properly "qualified" do this type of inspection.

WHAT?
With all due respect. I've never heard of such a thing. This is the kind of thing that makes a first time buyer run like hell. The OP is buying a used 2010 unit, which most likely doesn't even have a warranty. He's not going to refurbish the LP system or rewire the 110 system during the PDI. What credentials are needed to perform a PDI so you don't void the warranty?

Old 11-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
WHAT?
With all due respect. I've never heard of such a thing. This is the kind of thing that makes a first time buyer run like hell. The OP is buying a used 2010 unit, which most likely doesn't even have a warranty. He's not going to refurbish the LP system or rewire the 110 system during the PDI. What credentials are needed to perform a PDI so you don't void the warranty?

Neither have I. Do they typically offer warranties on used trailers?
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Neither have I. Do they typically offer warranties on used trailers?

I know dealers who offer warranties on used trailers. They are usually limited to something like 90 days or appliances only. It really depends on the unit.

But voiding a warranty because your not qualified to do a PDI? Come on.

Now there are two PDI's but thats mostly on a new unit. The dealers PDI and the buyers PDI. I am not sure what silverback 35ts means, but it will be a cold day in hell that I pay a dealer extra money to do either PDI.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #20

^^ I agree - whatever the buyer does is not going to void the warranty unless you do something that is specifically prohibited by the warranty or fail to do something that is specifically required by the warranty. For example, if the warranty has a mandatory registration and you fail to register.

As a first time buyer, you would do well to take someone along who has experience. But if you can't, just go through the checklist item by item. If there's any item you don't understand, just ask the dealer what it is and show you how it works. "Water pump - where's the switch? OK let's turn it on and see if it works." "Outside sprayer - where is that? OK how do I turn it on?" Like others said, take your time and be methodical. While it won't void your warranty, this is your chance to insist on getting items fixed before putting down your money. After that it will be arguing over warranty work (if you get a used TT warranty). Good luck!

PS: even during the PDI you can post questions here since you will be here for a good while.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote