Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #41

Examples of PDI before signing

Never pay without all the work being done. First RV we flew to Mesa to pick up at Earnhardt's. We AND they saw problems. The "gave" us the manager's mustang and put us up for the night on their dime. Great service. Full walk-thru the next day.
Second RV was missing a back-up camera as we did the walk-thru. They bought us lunch and we took off. BUT, we did not go back and do the walkthru again. Naturally the fix caused other problems. Under warranty, but required another trip and more time.
So, even after problems are fixed, do another walkthrough. Good dealers respect that thoroughness.
Bob Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:55 PM   #42

Nuts!

Had not signed yet. Started the PDI but then they had to take lunch. OK, went back over what we had covered, all’s good. I ran the smart electric jack up and down and all is good. We finished up after lunch, all’s good, gave them the check, signed the paperwork, they handed me the keys. The techs backed me up to hitch but waived me off🤯. The techs had set the ball height before lunch. but now the electric jack will not raise the coupler high enough too hitch up. After spending an hour and forty two minutes with a Flagstaff person, the tech slapped his phone off and called Lippert. After going thru the steps 2 more times, they asked for the VIN. Lippert said it was the wrong jack, authorized the dealer to take a “good” jack off a another trailer and I was down the road 40 minutes. So much for my PDI and Flagstaff tech.
seaswol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:19 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbet View Post
What are the steps I should take so that I have some leverage/protection between the time I sign the purchase agreement and the time I drive off with my new RV?

I am getting the impression that there is no more honeymoon period after the agreement is signed and the funds are transferred. Yet I want to ensure that there is a thorough inspection and orientation with a qualified individual before I take delivery. I am thinking (maybe overthinking) of a case where I get dropped off at at a dealer to take delivery and then find there are a number of things that are not operational. They tell me to take the RV and they will fix it the next day. How do savvy purchasers handle this part of the purchase? What releases the responsibility/ownership to me as purchaser?
Don't sign nothing until you get everything you want done Period !!!! Everything ! Do not fall for any story that it will be finished the day you pick it up !!!! Because a true nightmare will begin after you get ur new rig home and start using things and you don't like how something works or don't work !!!! All RV Dealers are Bull-crap lairs and will tell you anything to get you to buy !!!! And once you hand over the cash or sign the dotted line you are DONE FOR !!!!!! Please heed my warning, AS i know, It took me 2 years of Bashing Collier RV in Rockford Illinois, And the Coachman Factory in Middlebury IN on YELP' over 3500 hits, before i got any help, And then i had to drive it back and forth for 3 separate visits, 1st time for one week just so we could get to use it, 2nd time for two weeks, 3rd time for 7 weeks and i had to get my own ride home for the 7 week visit, And to top it off " The factory worker are a bunch of Dope smoking drug addicts and still do crappy repairs' The name of the game is cover it up' Don't fix it right' cover it up !!!! And blame the people that they get their parts from. For real' Do not sign or give up any money until you get what you want and double and triple check everything !!!!! Take nothing for granted because it will haunt you for a long time,
mikadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I would certainly rethink this or be prepared to be disappointed upon delivery.

Another guy recently posted he bought his unit sight unseen and had it delivered a thousand miles away. He cannot get warranty work done at nearby dealers as they prioritize their own customers and push him to the back of the line...
I read the same thread he's hit the proverbal nail on the head. Not sure what you're buying, why so far away or how much your spending or saving and even how handy you are but predicated on where you live there’s no "off" season or slack time in the warmer climates, like down here in Florida especially this year so you'll be waiting a long time for any local dealer to want to fix it. You'll need to call the manufacturer to see if they'll approve fixes by a mobile tech or a nonauthorized dealer. Do a thorough PDI, start up everything, run everything, on shore power then generator, use tank water and pump then city water, plan on an entire day just running everything and leave it run. Check under, over and throughout the rig...tire pressure,, load rating,
type of tires and don't listen to them when something doesn't work that its a fluke... of it happens once it will happen again. Wish you luck and please let us know how you make out. Thanks
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #45

DO NOT ,DO NOT take delivery or sign any final papers until the unit is 100%, I was stuck with a lemon and took a large financial hit and just traded it in 2 years later, of course to a different dealer and I bought a different manufacture as well.

The story is they will tell you whatever you want the hear to get you to transfer funds first and they will then tell you we will take care of you, this is a bunch of BS.

We bought a Crusader lite, our first fifth wheel camper, there was a problem from day 1 that the slides were not level nor wore they able to make them, remotely level. I had leaks, broken slide seals and a pile of other things they said they would address when I did my final walk thru, I signed and was screwed from that point on.

Pretty bad when 1 manager agreed with me and started the process to get me a replacement unit only to have another manager override him. This dealer Colton RV in Tonawanda NY is the worst dealer I have ever dealt with.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #46

Questions: Inspections/orientation after deal is signed.

I recently learned about NRVIA. I emailed a couple of inspectors and they both charge about $500 for a comprehensive 6-7 hour inspection. We will definitely be hiring one of them before taking delivery.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:30 PM   #47

Quote:
I am thinking (maybe overthinking) of a case where I get dropped off at at a dealer to take delivery and then find there are a number of things that are not operational. They tell me to take the RV and they will fix it the next day. How do savvy purchasers handle this part of the purchase?
The smart thing to do would be to make them fix before you take it. That would be the smart thing but when DH and I went to pick ours up.....well I wanted to get it home. We purchased new, but it was the early 2019 Rockwood 2511 so it had been on their lot a year. DH climbed the ladder to look at the roof because it was parked a long a line of trees. The roof needed a good cleaning and he requested they check the seals. We arrive for the walk through hubby made them turn on every light, spigot etc. If he could turn off and on it was checked. Then the awning is opened. There is a nice big stain on the awning. DH climbs up to check roof and it looks the same. Walking around the exterior I noticed 2 of the bottom panels had places on them that had spots on them that looked like they had not been painted completely. DH wanted to leave it but I wanted to take it and go to the mountains where we had reservations. Luckily for us we have an excellent dealer. They assured DH they would order the panels and a new awning. Once everything was in they would have us bring it in. True to their word they took care of everything and washed and checked the roof before we pulled off the lot but not all dealers are that good.
momraising5boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #48

Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

I have had great dealers on all 3 new purchases. But I did check out other dealers before deciding to do business with the 3 I used. I have learned to spend a few hours watching customers come and go in the service dept (both at RV and car dealers, would do the same for a boat). See how many customers have repeat complaints or are unhappy with the service. See how many times mechanics try to upsell ("your cabin filter is dirty, should I replace it?") A poor service dept leaves you one of 2 options - buy somewhere with a good service dept or find a good service dept that will work with you even though you didn't buy from there. If the dealer has a good service dept, I wouldn't be as worried about warranty work after the sale.

My other test of dealers is to ask technical or performance questions that I already know or have looked up the answer to. See if the salesman lies or tries to make up an answer. Or if the sales managers plays games with the numbers, or tries too hard to get money out of me. Those dealers lose my business.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame (bought at Robert's in Denver)
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #49

we did our purchase over the internet - got a great deal from a dealer almost 10 hours away. however once we got there, they added almost $1500.00 in "mandatory" add ons. We asked to skip the walk-thru and its fee (bulk of the added cost) but the dealer said Forest River required us to do it or they would void all warranties. Don't know if this is true, but it changed a great deal into a good deal - and left a sour taste in our mouth.
stillhavemyteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #50
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillhavemyteeth View Post
we did our purchase over the internet - got a great deal from a dealer almost 10 hours away. however once we got there, they added almost $1500.00 in "mandatory" add ons. We asked to skip the walk-thru and its fee (bulk of the added cost) but the dealer said Forest River required us to do it or they would void all warranties. Don't know if this is true, but it changed a great deal into a good deal - and left a sour taste in our mouth.
Well thats a shame.
I've never went to pick up a new purchase (of anything) that I didn't know the exact total so I can't fathom.

Many dealers do the PDI/Customer Orientation for free or include it in the sales price so it isn't always an additional charge.

I can't say with 100% certainty but I've never seen any official documentation that says if you skip this, your warranty is void.

LOL... as bad a job as many dealers do with this, the factory should pay you when the dealer fails this important process miserably!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #51

Quote:
What are the steps I should take so that I have some leverage......I am getting the impression that there is no more honeymoon period after the agreement is signed and the funds are transferred. Yet I want to ensure that there is a thorough inspection and orientation with a qualified individual before I take delivery......
Schedule the PU for early in the day. When you arrive, tell the salesman or delivery person you are going to do a PDI (example here and other sites) and it will take about three hours. Do not sign for (accept) the unit until you complete your PDI, have the dealer fix all issues, or if any issues cannot be fixed within a few days, get the dealership to provide written agreement to repair at a later time.

Don't listen to any dealership BS that they can't allow you to do the PDI, or that you have to sign for the unit before repairs. I know you don't want the deal to collapse, but this is one area where you shouldn't give in. I found 13 issues on my new Montana, seven of which were easily fixable at the dealership, the balance requiring a return trip because of parts or repair time schedule. I was able to pull my old unit next to the new one when the techs were not actually working on it, over a two-day period, and had water/electric.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #52

Quote:

that is too bad - it would leave me a bit miffed as well. There are no "mandatory" add ons other than tax and tags. Did they also push a third party extended warranty plan? I believe that that there are some extended warranty plans that require annual inspections to keep in force. - and those inspections you have to pay for.

I have two dealers in my area - one sells the Rockwood brand and the other sells the twin Shamrock brand. these campers are twins and manufactured in the same plant (same line). They only differ in interior colors and graphics. The Rockwood dealer wanted additional money for the PDI/walkthru, the Shamrock dealer did not. The Shamrock dealer was considerably cheaper with more options installed....I love my Shamrock.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #53

Quote:
got a great deal from a dealer almost 10 hours away. however once we got there, they added almost $1500.00 in "mandatory" add ons. We asked to skip the walk-thru and its fee (bulk of the added cost) but the dealer said Forest River required us to do it or they would void all warranties.
I have nothing to go on but my gut reaction but I would say that is HOGWASH...

I hope you mention the name and location of that dealership on this forum and then report them to the BBB... I think it is called bait and switch.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
This is a total lie. Forest River requires no such thing. Sounds like the dealer said FR requires this and you didn't contact FR to validate this statement.
I would have walked out, even if it was a 10 hour drive. I wouldn't trust such a dealership, that uses these bait and switch tactics. Unfortunately with record RV sales, they probably can get away with it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #55

Like it was mentioned call FR and tell them what happened. I'd also mention the name of the place who pulled this since others should know and I'm sure others found out the hard way. I bet you put a down-payment on it before you left home. I'd also bet they would've told you they'd keep it if canceled. All lies, report them to BBB as well, that place is crooked as the NE coastline. Its pretty sad with business booming like this they pull crap like that. Did you go to the sales manager or General manager and agree you case? If not please do and if you did its even more important the name is posted. I'm sure you can tell by the response that this is not an honest dealer. I know you look at this still as a good deal but it should be a great deal. Hopefully you have no issues with it because you won't be going back there to get it fixed. Keep us up to date if anything changes and please post the name and call FR. Thanks
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #56

long distance inspections

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
Interesting thread as I’m about to purchase from a dealer 2,000 miles away with no intention of doing a physical inspection.
SACRV.... curious since I will be is much the same situation.. what did you end up doing and how did it work for you.
pbuck00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbuck00 View Post
SACRV.... curious since I will be is much the same situation.. what did you end up doing and how did it work for you.

Yes, the inspector will be doing it on Monday. He will call me Monday night to let me know if he finds any serious problems as we’re set to sign and return our paperwork the following day. He will then furnish us a full written report on Tuesday. We’re definitely happy to have someone doing the inspection on our behalf.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #58

The inspection went well. I was provided a 90-page report with pictures. He only found a couple of minor cosmetic blemishes. Definitely makes us feel comfortable completing the purchase.

Old 12-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #59

Almost brand new to the Shamrock family, upgrading from a pop-up. I have a sale pending on a 2012 Shamrock 19. Getting my tow vehicle setup and will be driving 4 1/2 hrs to take delivery sometime in the next week. All the post here have been very helpful. I see you are in Flemington NJ, I live in Yardley PA about 1/2 hr from you. Can you share the local person you work with. Also, where is the delivery checklist people have referenced. I want to be prepared.
Vic Miller is offline   Reply With Quote