Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
What's the $4K cost for towing the toad?
Installation of hitch on class A and brake control plus toad connections. That IF your toad is able to be pulled 4 down.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Installation of hitch on class A and brake control plus toad connections. That IF your toad is able to be pulled 4 down.
Zowie..... I would be looking for a new Installer
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:24 AM   #43

Having a camper saved my back and my marriage. Not because we camp a lot, but because My wife can’t sleep with me when I snore and the couch is hell on my neck. Rockwood Roo to the rescue! My personal man cave on those snory snory nights!
gwaltneyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaltneyra View Post
Having a camper saved my back and my marriage. Not because we camp a lot, but because My wife can’t sleep with me when I snore and the couch is hell on my neck. Rockwood Roo to the rescue! My personal man cave on those snory snory nights!

Get tested for sleep apnea - the CPAP machine works wonders for DH - quiet as a mouse now !!!
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We avoid motels at all cost....... the last one we stayed in a higher end type had a bloody mattress with no mattress pad......... they were full and busy and of no help. All motels were booked in town so it was stay in that room or go home........... the motels was out of linens too ........we finally got towels at 8 PM...... At least with a camper we have some control

We had this happen to us about 20 years ago and since then I avoid hotels like the plague. We travel quite a bit but use our RV, I like my own bed.
Westtexgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
You can either drive your home and pull your vehicle, or drive your vehicle and pull your home.
Or go with door number 3... Park you home and visit it every weekend.

Sure we spend a little extra overall for our seasonal fees but we make sure we get our money's worth every year. I don't know our exact per night cost but I'm sure it's less than the $40/night that the weekenders pay.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #47

Never had a motorhome,but I have had 7 different trailers. Just bought a 2018 Wildcat 32WB Fifth Wheel. Payed more for it and the 2015 Ram 2500 then I did for my house.I have no regrets about buying any of the units that we have had over the past 30 yrs. My better half and daughters always wanted to get out and see the USA. But most importantly to me I knew who and what was done in the bed that I was sleeping, unlike many hotel or resort beds.
Skivveywaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #48
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Regret one year into $$$ purchase?

My wife and I purchased our Class C a year ago October, after we both retired in July. Our rule of thumb is a week a month and a month each year. So far we are ahead of the game. Heading out in two weeks for a two month cross country trip. This winter we went to Key West. I say that we got it for more traveling than camping. Want to see the country. No regrets. Yet, anyway.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #49

If you buy a camper you had better know how to fix some things. We have had a few problems but mostly not to much we can’t fix.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:15 PM   #50
Sunseeker 2400MBW

We have spent and continue to spend buckets of money on this 2016 Sunseeker. I can definitely see your frustration. And I’m so surprised to read here that people buy and sell RVs so easily, it’s such a huge and depreciating expense.
But ... we like it so much, we are selling our house and moving into it full time right now. [emoji5]
Old 04-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #51

Just wondering if maybe the RV lifestyle in not for you guys? I assume you educated yourself and perused the various RV and camping forums to get some kind of idea what is involved in the RV world. I hope it gets better for you! It's supposed to be fun!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #52
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
One year ago we did a major upgrade from a small Jayco trailer to a 2017 Forester class C. We thought we could travel farther with greater ease and it would be so much easier to drive, etc. Some of that was true, but it has turned out to be almost as much hassle as the old trailer due to needing a toad and the costs are higher than we were told (8 mpg on a good day, taxes, insurance, upgrades needed, etc). Also, it still handles poorly after several upgrades.

So, I really wish we had never done it. For the money we have wrapped up in this thing we could afford several nights in hotels/park lodges every month with none of the hassle (storage, maintenance, etc).

Does anyone else regret spending so much just to go camping one weekend a month? We are still working, so at most we get a few weekends and a couple weeks per year.

Sounds like maybe you just moved out of your TT a little to early. We have been steadily downsizing under the plan to move to camping in a motorhome in a few years when we retire but who knows. I really like traveling with our TT and told DH that I would be OK in a motorhome only if we could tow a car so we are not sitting somewhere unable to explore. I am really glad that you posted because I think we need to do a lot of research before "letting go" of our TT lifestyle. If you are really miserable maybe you could weigh the benefits of sucking up the loss and going back to a TT. We downsized a bit too far with our 2017 Satellite so I recently upsized slightly (needed a real bathroom) to the 2019 2104s. In the end, we got a killer deal on the Rockwood but we paid a price for that even though our Satellite was fully paid for. The way I looked at it, the Satellite would never be worth more than it is today, so the faster I got rid of it the less of a loss we would have to endure. It sucked but in the end, I would rather be a HAPPY CAMPER and enjoy our outings. The camping experience is supposed to be relaxing instead of being upset and frustrated every month when you write a check for something that does not make you happy. Best of luck and I hope you find a way to make it work for you!
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #53

My only regret is that I have a longbed F350 and if I were to do it again, I'd get a shortbed F350 with a sliding hitch. The longbed is just too long to be practical when we disconnect and decide to go into town or do some exploring. Turning radius is awful and finding parking at summer events is difficult since the truck takes up almost two spots in length.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
My only regret is that I have a longbed F350 and if I were to do it again, I'd get a shortbed F350 with a sliding hitch. The longbed is just too long to be practical when we disconnect and decide to go into town or do some exploring. Turning radius is awful and finding parking at summer events is difficult since the truck takes up almost two spots in length.
One ton dually long bed ~~ ONE AND DONE~~ really like the F350 short bed SRW CC with the B&W Patriot slider...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 PM   #55

Wow! This is a really popular thread. Thought I would add my two cents. I started out with a trailer, since I already had the big SUV with which to pull it. I only bought it because I thought I could not afford a motorhome. I have wanted a motorhome since I was in my twenties. However not only no money for one but no time. I got the trailer after I retired. If I never was able to upgrade, I would have been very happy. It was more versatile in that I could unhook and sight-see with the SUV. I camped in it twice and traded it for a class C. The trailer had one slide and no very few problems. The C had numerous warranty issues and spend a fair amount of time in the shop for the first three years. My dealer is quite good, but during the summer the wait for service can be quite long and they want you to leave it with them, so, if it is something I can do a makeshift repair o, I do it myself or call a mobile repair person, I know. I have no toad, just two legs or a bicycle, so sight seeing is limited, unless I rent a car, which I do once or twice a year on the longer trips. I see everything that requires a car in one week to ten days and then back to the bike.

Regrets? Not really. I have gotten good support from FR and I now have a motorhome which I never thought I would.

Btw, would I do this if I were still working 60- 100 hours a week and had to take a ten year loan on it? No way!!!

Wife does not like camping or motorhomes, so most of my camping is solo. Bummer somewhat, lonely sometimes, but I love it (when everything is working).
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #56

isnt it an ivestment?

Isnt this the time to pay off your Class C so when you do retire your income isnt impacted. my wife and i got out of a pre retirement class and we were told that biggest mistakes retires do is sell everything and purchase big ticket item. this way now you are figuring out what you like and dont like with steady income and not on a fixed budget. everything you buy these days you dont use 100% of its capability cell phones for example!

My suggestion is figure out what you really want and look at your cost right now as in investment. what you paid for your rig now isnt going to be even close what you would pay for it in X amount of years when you retire.
4garylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #57

EXCELLENT POINT. We are a few short years from retirement and working hard to have no debt by then. All vehicles paid for, TT paid for, getting close to no balance on the old homestead. Fingers crossed all stay healthy, then that will be paid in full as well. Indeed much easier with two good paying full time jobs. If the motorhome style suits, then writing the check each month to get that much closer to paid-off would surely make for a happier, more relaxing use during retirement!!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #58

I agree with getting what you want now and try to pay it off by retirement time. Lots of us have done that. Problem is, a few years after retirement, all your stuff is worn out and it's time to replace! A never ending cycle
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
EXCELLENT POINT. We are a few short years from retirement and working hard to have no debt by then. All vehicles paid for, TT paid for, getting close to no balance on the old homestead. Fingers crossed all stay healthy, then that will be paid in full as well. Indeed much easier with two good paying full time jobs. If the motorhome style suits, then writing the check each month to get that much closer to paid-off would surely make for a happier, more relaxing use during retirement!!
I used to think that way, but now that we're retired, I've changed my mind.

We financed our current miniMH so that we'd have enough money to travel at our leisure. Having money in the bank gives me more piece of mind than paying off the MH. Now if financing rates go up, I might change my mind. If we die before it's paid off, the estate will have to deal with it.

Of course, we didn't buy an rv until we retired because working 6 days a week gave us little time for camping. Tents worked when we were younger and stronger.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
I used to think that way, but now that we're retired, I've changed my mind.

We financed our current miniMH so that we'd have enough money to travel at our leisure. Having money in the bank gives me more piece of mind than paying off the MH. Now if financing rates go up, I might change my mind. If we die before it's paid off, the estate will have to deal with it.

Of course, we didn't buy an rv until we retired because working 6 days a week gave us little time for camping. Tents worked when we were younger and stronger.

That works, too! As someone else posted, buying in full ahead of time could also mean everything is worn out and needs replacing when you retire. So far that is still our plan but we know things may change. Doing your best to plan ahead and knowing your financial situation now and income versus needs after retirement is the key, and probably a bit of good luck helps!