RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #61

60 posts in and we still have the class C and the large monthly payment. It has been interesting to see all of the opinions. On a good day, we think it will be nice to have it paid for when we retire in 10 years and on a bad day I want to sell it immediately to free up funds for something that isn't depreciating like a rock. We just had to cancel our big three week trip to Maine due to be unable to take our foster daughter on such a trip. The problem remains that it would be a huge bother to sell it and then purchase a new pickup and trailer. Plus, it takes almost six months to fix all the little things that you find on these partly completed new RVs. I just don't have the energy to do that again right now.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #62

Small B+

I've had 3 TT's and 3 class C's. We're in our 4th year with a 2007 Lexington 235. We bought it used with about 4k miles for $34k if memory serves me correctly. Things change with our bad habits, but I doubt that I'll go back to a TT.

It's on a Chevy Express 3500 chassis and drives about the same as the Silverado I used to pull the last TT. We've put another 13k miles on it and get between 11-13 miles per gallon. We also use it as an in-and-around vehicle. And rent a car if need be. (Tried a dolly - way too much hassle.)

We miss having a full time bed but the fold out couch with a 1 1/2 inch foam pad is adequate. We leave the table set up as a bed/lounge and use TV trays for meals.

From time to time I think about getting a larger RV so we could have a bed. We had a beautiful 27ft Coach House but the extra 3 feet in length was the difference between easy driving and parking and not so easy. It was also on a Ford chassis that wandered all over unlike the Chevy.

Can't beat having the bathroom, fridge and microwave 5 steps away.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #63

This boils down to where we have been, where we are, and where we want to be. Before marriage, I was very open to any investment that I could enjoy and then sell for a profit. It didn't matter, cars, boats, camper, land, custom farming. I didn't come from wealth, so I had to be creative.

When we married, we took our honeymoon with a truck camper. Doing most of the work, we eventually built our first home on the land. When the kids came, we did a lot of wheelin' dealin', first on a Winnebago. Then down to an 8.5' slide-in we purchased new at an auction for $600, a real gift. Then to a new custom built Class C at the Chicago TV Show for $11,000 that we used for 13 years. Small or large, we made a lot of enjoyable memories.

Our mantra was to enjoy the moment, because we know not what tomorrow brings. Times were tough, but we wanted the kids to enjoy the world on a budget. DW either used the MH for transportation, or, we most often had a beater. She often quipped that it always looked good only when it was time to sell. A lot of the kids clothes and toys came from vendors called garage sales. Their first bikes were reconditioned. I think some of us have been there.

Our parents, on both sides, thought we were not being frugal enough. Paying a mortgage and RV payment on a meager salary was admittedly tough. When building our second home, the construction loan went as high as 22 percent. The bankers told us we couldn't afford what we were trying to do. Wrong! We persisted and we prevailed.

So, as time went on, we were committed to each other and family. We were married to nothing else.

On retirement, we sold the home and motor home to make a move to Florida. It was the right move for us for the next 17 years. After 10 of those years, we built a second home in Wisconsin to become reverse snow birds.

Fast forward, bought a new Class C 3 years ago, then sold the Florida home. Though I still feel comfortable driving and have never had a traffic ticket, I'm not sure I want the stress of driving and the stress of maintaining a MH as they are built today. After one month of a 3-month extended trip. DW and I looked at each other one morning and we could read each other. Camping is not what it used to be and it had lost its aura. Switching directions, we purchased a mobile home, sold the MH and now fly between FL and WI. All within a year. The mobile has a lot of advantages and a lot less work. We are now very happy campers.

So, the punch line. Have an exit strategy an be flexible. Buy right so you can sell right. Through all of this financial maneuvering, we have come out extremely well. Camping had great appeal in our younger years. Not so much now. You folks on this forum are at varying stages of our journey. Some of you will continue travelling, others will follow us to the exit. One size does not fit all, nor should it.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
60 posts in and we still have the class C and the large monthly payment. It has been interesting to see all of the opinions. On a good day, we think it will be nice to have it paid for when we retire in 10 years and on a bad day I want to sell it immediately to free up funds for something that isn't depreciating like a rock. We just had to cancel our big three week trip to Maine due to be unable to take our foster daughter on such a trip. The problem remains that it would be a huge bother to sell it and then purchase a new pickup and trailer. Plus, it takes almost six months to fix all the little things that you find on these partly completed new RVs. I just don't have the energy to do that again right now.

Six months? Try 3 years. Never had one of these before, so I had no clue what to look for. I am now amongst the partially educated.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
This boils down to where we have been, where we are, and where we want to be. Before marriage, I was very open to any investment that I could enjoy and then sell for a profit. It didn't matter, cars, boats, camper, land, custom farming. I didn't come from wealth, so I had to be creative.

When we married, we took our honeymoon with a truck camper. Doing most of the work, we eventually built our first home on the land. When the kids came, we did a lot of wheelin' dealin', first on a Winnebago. Then down to an 8.5' slide-in we purchased new at an auction for $600, a real gift. Then to a new custom built Class C at the Chicago TV Show for $11,000 that we used for 13 years. Small or large, we made a lot of enjoyable memories.

Our mantra was to enjoy the moment, because we know not what tomorrow brings. Times were tough, but we wanted the kids to enjoy the world on a budget. DW either used the MH for transportation, or, we most often had a beater. She often quipped that it always looked good only when it was time to sell. A lot of the kids clothes and toys came from vendors called garage sales. Their first bikes were reconditioned. I think some of us have been there.

Our parents, on both sides, thought we were not being frugal enough. Paying a mortgage and RV payment on a meager salary was admittedly tough. When building our second home, the construction loan went as high as 22 percent. The bankers told us we couldn't afford what we were trying to do. Wrong! We persisted and we prevailed.

So, as time went on, we were committed to each other and family. We were married to nothing else.

On retirement, we sold the home and motor home to make a move to Florida. It was the right move for us for the next 17 years. After 10 of those years, we built a second home in Wisconsin to become reverse snow birds.

Fast forward, bought a new Class C 3 years ago, then sold the Florida home. Though I still feel comfortable driving and have never had a traffic ticket, I'm not sure I want the stress of driving and the stress of maintaining a MH as they are built today. After one month of a 3-month extended trip. DW and I looked at each other one morning and we could read each other. Camping is not what it used to be and it had lost its aura. Switching directions, we purchased a mobile home, sold the MH and now fly between FL and WI. All within a year. The mobile has a lot of advantages and a lot less work. We are now very happy campers.

So, the punch line. Have an exit strategy an be flexible. Buy right so you can sell right. Through all of this financial maneuvering, we have come out extremely well. Camping had great appeal in our younger years. Not so much now. You folks on this forum are at varying stages of our journey. Some of you will continue travelling, others will follow us to the exit. One size does not fit all, nor should it.

Fascinating journey. Thanks for sharing.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #66

Quote:
I won't pretend to be your financial adviser. Let's just say I am in your position and am in a total dilemma. What should I do?

Scenario 1: I think to myself on a bad day, I have a like new camper that needs some minor work. By golly, I have this payment, probably more than I want to afford while it is sitting out there idly depreciating. I won't even be able to write off the interest with the tax changes. This has me so depressed that I even hate the thought of going out there and doing what needs to be done. This really doesn't fit my needs, but in 10 years it will be paid for. I will have paid more than twice the purchase price including interest. And I'm not counting the insurance and other upkeep. I convince myself that I want to put up with this agony for ten years, knowing darn well that my feelings for it won't get any better. It was a bad decision.

Scenario 2: I think to myself on a good day, I have a like new camper that needs some minor work. I want to sell it immediately to free up funds for something that isn't depreciating like a rock. Well, everything depreciates like a rock. But I want something that I can afford and enjoy. There may be some inconvenience along the way.

Decision time. Agony for my last ten working years and not really enjoying any of it? A few (well, quite a few) disagreements with DW over finances and that RV that she is offering me to live in (alone). Ah, but I have a relic camper that still holds maybe 20% of what I have in it-in just 10 years. Doesn't seem too appealing. Or, get this thing the h___ out of my drive and let me move on. (the light bulb is flickering in my head and I can hear the gears grinding). Hmmm, 'tis the season, a little sprucing up will take a few hours. Let the buyer enjoy fixing the faults. Some pix and a description on craigslist should take a couple hours, an I am feeling exhilarated. I have a plan and the energy to do it. I can do it!

But that is just me...True story except we had ours paid for. We came out of it smelling like a rose. DW can't hold the separate domicile over me any more. Ok, so the separate domicile is a fib. She never threatened me.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:00 PM   #67

"I feel the stress just slip away". thats exactly how I feel as well, also my kids are only going to be kids once and I want to spend quality time with them as much as possible
Old 05-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We avoid motels at all cost....... the last one we stayed in a higher end type had a bloody mattress with no mattress pad......... they were full and busy and of no help. All motels were booked in town so it was stay in that room or go home........... the motels was out of linens too ........we finally got towels at 8 PM...... At least with a camper we have some control

That sounds like one of our motels. Let my sister-in-law pick the motel and never again.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #69
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerfor2 View Post
"I feel the stress just slip away". thats exactly how I feel as well, also my kids are only going to be kids once and I want to spend quality time with them as much as possible

Spending quality time with our kids was precisely why we started camping and it was the best decision of our lives. After tenting for many years, we did as a lot of folks do and went to a pop up, and then up-sized accordingly as our family grew and to accommodate my kids' friends coming on trips with us, which was awesome. Every summer when the school calendar was published, I would go in and book camping trips. Holidays - camping trip. Long weekends - camping trip. Everyone's birthday was a camping trip - birthday boy or girl chooses where we go. Birthdays were very big occasions with friends invited. We always had to book 2 or 3 sites to accommodate everyone. My daughters Sweet 16 weekend, we had 36 people camping with us . That was our record. I always let our campground neighbors know what was happening and always - always- invited them to come eat and hang out with us. Often they did and those who didn't still appreciated our letting them know and asking them to let us know if our bunch became too noisy or disruptive to their camping trip.

Our kids are grown now and still come see us when we are camping, often times staying over to hang out with us. And once a year, we still take Family Vacations and we include their significant others. We also still see their friends, usually when they are home for the holidays, our "camping kids" - those kids who came along with us and who we came to know as well as our own children and love dearly. Man, the memories of those guitars and singing around the campfire, games, parties, late nights talking about boys/girls, school and parenting. We were their 2nd parents, counselors, teachers...all rolled into one.

We have always been, and remain very close to our kids and I credit camping for that. What a wonderful way to get to know each other, and also a great way to get to know the kids your kids are hanging out with! Choosing that lifestyle cost money. Quite a bit of money. We have always had a modest house and long-owned cars. We invested our money in us, our family. I would not trade it for the world.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:15 AM   #70
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
Spending quality time with our kids was precisely why we started camping and it was the best decision of our lives. After tenting for many years, we did as a lot of folks do and went to a pop up, and then up-sized accordingly as our family grew and to accommodate my kids' friends coming on trips with us, which was awesome. Every summer when the school calendar was published, I would go in and book camping trips. Holidays - camping trip. Long weekends - camping trip. Everyone's birthday was a camping trip - birthday boy or girl chooses where we go. Birthdays were very big occasions with friends invited. We always had to book 2 or 3 sites to accommodate everyone. My daughters Sweet 16 weekend, we had 36 people camping with us . That was our record. I always let our campground neighbors know what was happening and always - always- invited them to come eat and hang out with us. Often they did and those who didn't still appreciated our letting them know and asking them to let us know if our bunch became too noisy or disruptive to their camping trip.

Our kids are grown now and still come see us when we are camping, often times staying over to hang out with us. And once a year, we still take Family Vacations and we include their significant others. We also still see their friends, usually when they are home for the holidays, our "camping kids" - those kids who came along with us and who we came to know as well as our own children and love dearly. Man, the memories of those guitars and singing around the campfire, games, parties, late nights talking about boys/girls, school and parenting. We were their 2nd parents, counselors, teachers...all rolled into one.

We have always been, and remain very close to our kids and I credit camping for that. What a wonderful way to get to know each other, and also a great way to get to know the kids your kids are hanging out with! Choosing that lifestyle cost money. Quite a bit of money. We have always had a modest house and long-owned cars. We invested our money in us, our family. I would not trade it for the world.
Well said!

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:50 PM   #71

Newb alert !

Great thread and very helpful as someone who is considering getting into Rving/camping. Thanks to the OP

In short ( or not! ) , Im 53 and can retire in 4 years, ( wife working full time and cant retire till normal age which is in 15-18 years ...options open )
We used to tent camp all the time ( 15 years ago ) but now she prefers glamping only......something about needing a decent bathroom to ...you know.....lol and I dont blame her. I'm more outdoorsy and can tent camp or whatever but I'll admit that as we've grown older and started making more money, I don't mind glamping . We rented a 32' Class C last December for a 7 day trip, Pisgah / Cherokee, NC and we both loved it !! It would have been nice to have a separate vehicle for me to get up early and go without unhooking and waking her up ( I wanted to go mountain biking with the dog about ten miles down the road). For this reason I think this puts us in the category of going with a trailer or truck camper. She is insisting on a separate shower or dry shower ( I think that's the correct term?) like the Class C had. So this has me interested in the Toy Haulers. I also like the "openness" in TH. I dont think Ive ever sat at a camper kitchen table that wasn't designed for humans under 5' tall ( Im 6'2" 185# ) And I love the roomy kitchens in the TH's. I realized slide outs are an option( the class c had two and they were awsum ! ), but the kitchen sink and burners were still a little small and cramped and the sliders didnt make the eating area any more comfortable. When we rented that Class C ,boondocking was a cinch and came in handy, I think I can get that also with a TH, correct? Am I correct in thinking this is the best bang for the buck ?

We will have to buy the Truck for towing , so I'm in a good spot to choose both the trailer and tow vehicle for the most optimal situation/ bang for buck / use TV as my normal vehicle/etc. We are both getting ready to purchase new vehicles as both of our cars have been paid off for years and are getting old so this is part of the decision making.

Oh, and yes I do have lots of toys to haul, not anything motorized but three mountain bikes, and 5 or 6 surfboards/ Sups, kites/kiteboards,tools/ ski -snowboard equipment / etc. ( Is boondocking /rving possible in freezing temps?)

I found 4Garylee's post ( #56 ) and the ones that followed very interesting. Buying what I think I want now so its mostly paid off when retirement comes around , being careful to consider depreciation...will have to think about that.
Any help / advice / critiques appreciated and if there are other threads in this forum I should be looking at please let me know ( I just signed up here ) .

To the OP, For what its worth (I could be totally wrong but its all I can offer!) ........I'm picking up that you didn't/aren't getting the pleasure/happiness that you thought the purchase you made would bring. Ive been in this spot. If so, selling/cutting financial loss can never be a bad thing. Consider looking inward for happiness and peace, and as you do, others around you will too. Hope that's not too woo wooish !
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:37 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanm View Post
Newb alert !

Great thread and very helpful as someone who is considering getting into Rving/camping. Thanks to the OP

In short ( or not! ) , Im 53 and can retire in 4 years, ( wife working full time and cant retire till normal age which is in 15-18 years ...options open )
Are you going to camp now or in 4 years? If you are not going to start camping until 4 years from now, I'd wait because the technology in the rigs change quickly. If you want to pay it off when you buy it, start saving now.

As to what rig to buy.... that's the million dollar question that no one can answer but your family.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:01 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Are you going to camp now or in 4 years? If you are not going to start camping until 4 years from now, I'd wait because the technology in the rigs change quickly. If you want to pay it off when you buy it, start saving now.

As to what rig to buy.... that's the million dollar question that no one can answer but your family.
X2

Bruce
Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #74

Small and happy!

This is a great thread. I bought a used, dirty 2012 2250 sun seeker and paid it off within a year. Rebuilt the insides on my dime, cost about $500 bucks is all. Just labor, parts are cheap. Now I have a paid for 2012 that rides and handles great. I love it. It was a great move. I have a total, with new tires etc, of 34k in it and have only 50k miles on it. It was a great move for us.

Small, but for two people and a dog it is marvelous. Some of us get lucky on the first try. Some don't. I got lucky and its a great fit. I would buy used again tomorrow if I needed to. But I don't need to.
popshumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post

Def camp now. Getting new vehicles soon , so trying to plan accordingly . Thnx for the reply
Deanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
My only regret is that I don't have more to spend..............
X2
Old 07-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpophin View Post
We are looking at moving from a 5th wheel to a class A, diesel pusher. I had not thought about the maintenance cost on the diesel engine. Can you provide a little more information on maintenance cost and how ofter this needs to be accomplished.
I haven't read past your post yet so I may be answering an already answered question.

When I went shopping I was looking at diesel engines for power and mpg.
I happened upon some ads for maintenance and couldn't believe the engine maintenance cost differences.
Diesel maintenance "specials" I found were 2 to 3 times that of gasoline engines.

I went a Class C with the Ford V-10.
I can change the oil & filter myself if I want and after driving it 5000 miles I'm happy with the choice even at 8 mpg pulling a toad.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
We like many others have stated hate staying in hotel/motels. Forget about lugging suit cases up and down elevators,pulled fire alarms in the middle of the night, drunks yelling or running up and down the hallways banging on doors, doors slamming shut and squealing tires or roaring engines out in the parking lot! Then there's the cleanliness of the room, bed bugs ugh or what ever else that we never have to worry about.

Yes we don't save money with our Class C but we wouldn't have it any other way. We love the freedom and being able to come and go when ever we want.

Bob Brown

2013 Forest River Sunseeker 3170ds
X2!!
Old 07-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Get tested for sleep apnea - the CPAP machine works wonders for DH - quiet as a mouse now !!!
X2!
Old 07-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #80

Quote:
One year ago we did a major upgrade from a small Jayco trailer to a 2017 Forester class C. We thought we could travel farther with greater ease and it would be so much easier to drive, etc. Some of that was true, but it has turned out to be almost as much hassle as the old trailer due to needing a toad and the costs are higher than we were told (8 mpg on a good day, taxes, insurance, upgrades needed, etc). Also, it still handles poorly after several upgrades.

So, I really wish we had never done it. For the money we have wrapped up in this thing we could afford several nights in hotels/park lodges every month with none of the hassle (storage, maintenance, etc).

Does anyone else regret spending so much just to go camping one weekend a month? We are still working, so at most we get a few weekends and a couple weeks per year.
Just a thought.... if you don't like your current payment, refinancing it after a year of ownership may lower it. Worth a shot.