Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2018, 02:42 PM   #81

Haven't read all the replies but this is why we started small and with something used that we paid cash for. It's paid for and it didn't put us in the poor house or in debt. Now, if we can just stop buying fun stuff for it!
I know we are in the honeymoon phase right now but we are loving it. We will probably keep this one for a few years and kind of decide if we want to A: get rid of it B: upgrade or C: keep it and maintain it to keep it in good condition. It has done most of the depreciating it is going to do already in the hands of the previous owners so unless we really let it fall to pieces we will recoup most of what we spent if we decide this isn't for us and we want out. I always drool over the newer, shinier, bigger, fancier rigs but we're just dipping our toes in right now, so we'll see where it takes us!
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Mr Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #82

Very interesting conversation...
I'm still ~15 years till retirement and kids to go through college, etc.
So we decided to use the few years left we have with the kids at home to enjoy the family on camping trips using the camper.
I like to plan ahead and we do have plans to retire and full time and wife keep mentioning the motorhome word , but honestly, apart from the benefit of using the RV while driving, I could not, so far, find the sweet spot to justify it. The 5er keeps looking a better deal with more space, same amenities and way less cost....
I'm not bashing motorhome, I do think the look nice, but 5ers seems to give you way more for less cost and trouble...
Am I wrong?

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOtel View Post
Haven't read all the replies but this is why we started small and with something used that we paid cash for. It's paid for and it didn't put us in the poor house or in debt. Now, if we can just stop buying fun stuff for it!
I know we are in the honeymoon phase right now but we are loving it. We will probably keep this one for a few years and kind of decide if we want to A: get rid of it B: upgrade or C: keep it and maintain it to keep it in good condition. It has done most of the depreciating it is going to do already in the hands of the previous owners so unless we really let it fall to pieces we will recoup most of what we spent if we decide this isn't for us and we want out. I always drool over the newer, shinier, bigger, fancier rigs but we're just dipping our toes in right now, so we'll see where it takes us!
Wise move. When the kids were young, we bought a new 22' class C at the Chicago RV show. We added some custom features when the coach was built. The cost new was $11,800 (oh, for the good old days) and we kept it for 13 years. DW made seat covers and we kept it in good shape. We replaced one front brake caliper and the trailer hitch-that was it other than routine maintenance!

Both of our in-laws thought we were foolish for buying it. We couldn't pay cash back then and it was a struggle, but we did it. We took it to conferences and special schooling, lived in it while building our second home, and did a lot of boon-dock vacations. We and our grown children have a lot of fond memories. We came very close to recouping our investment when we sold it.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:37 PM   #84

We are heartsick at the 2 summer-long repairs our Forester has needed in the two years we've had it. leaks in the over-cab bed area. Well, mad and heartsick. We'll probably be selling it after this last repair. it is costing us an arm and a leg and more in payments, insurance, etc.
condoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:03 PM   #85

Regret one year into $$$ purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condoonwheels View Post
We are heartsick at the 2 summer-long repairs our Forester has needed in the two years we've had it. leaks in the over-cab bed area. Well, mad and heartsick. We'll probably be selling it after this last repair. it is costing us an arm and a leg and more in payments, insurance, etc.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I also have a Forester. I purchased it new. This is my fourth summer camping. Last summer was a nightmare with roof leaks etc. I have concluded that it could be three to five years before all is as it should be. Don't know if there are years where something does not have to be addressed. It seem s that they need constant attention, no matter the brand.

Btw, there have been frustrations. FR does a lot to stand behind their product and have been good with support. Since I have wanted a MH all my life and never thought it would be possible, I don't regret buying it. I do wish it were not so much work to maintain, but them again, I wish a lot of things. Reality is what it is.

I hope you finally get all of your issues resolved and can enjoy some wonderful camping.[emoji41]
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote