Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

RV Direct

So we are looking to purchase a new Sunseeker, and so far no dealer has been able to come close to the pricing we have received from RV direct. My only concern is that I read on Forest River's website that they encourage local purchase and that the local dealer if you purchase from somewhere else does not have to perform warranty work. Does anyone have experience with getting worked performed at a local dealer after you purchased from someone else?
Acut2660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
2012 Georgetown 378

We do, purchased our RV at Orlando RV and then moved and had warranty work done here in SC. No problem whatsoever. FR says that to placate their dealer network but it is like buying a car in the sense that any Chevy dealer will service your Chevy, warranty or not and when it comes to RV's nothing is proprietary so you do not need a FR dealer to do the work. RF just assembles components, they do not manufacture anything

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #3

We purchased from RV Direct in Albany and our warranty work is being done at a local FR approved/authorized RV repair facility. Makes the world of difference being able to drop the RV for repair 10 minutes from home as opposed to 2.5 hours away. I bought from RV Direct because they offered the best price and their were the closest dealer selling Sunseekers. Our local RV dealer/repair shop does not sell Sunseekers.
colestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #4

There are dealers who when trying to sell you an RV will tell you that they will not do warranty work on an RV that you bought somewere else. I wouldn't deal with those dealers. It is not very nice of them, if you buy an RV from a dealer were you live and then move two states away, they will not repair your RV? Forest River will find a dealer or repair shop for warranty work if you should need one.
I am lucky because I got a 2012 V-Cross 275 fiver in February of 2012 and have had no issues with it, NONE! When my 2nd year warranty from Forest River expires on February 17, 2014, I will be able to got to any dealer or repair shop to get it fixed because I will be paying and not Forest River at a reduced warranty rate.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #5

Bought our Sunseeker from RV Direct in Buffalo NY. Two reasons. First was selection. Local dealer only had 1 - 2 units in stock at a time and never the exact model we wanted. Second was price. Local dealer said they'd match RV Direct price. But when push came to shove, they didn't. Probably due to not having to discount much to sell the few units they had. When I told them "no" to their price and that I was going the RV Direct route, they proactively offered to do any warranty work I would need.

In any event, no issues in getting warranty work done locally. Actually, I don't use the local dealer I mention above but 2 others that are 30 minutes closer. My strategy is to give them some paid business plus the warranty work. For example, can you winterize it and also look at x y and z as warranty items. I also go to FR dealers that don't sell the Sunseeker line. Not quite as in your face that way it seems.

I disagree with the post above that any FR dealer has to do the work like a car dealer does. I don't know for sure, but I don't believe that's the case. At least a couple people on here have reported they have been denied warranty work. However I think FR has helped some track a servicing dealer down.

YMMV so good luck.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #6

You are correct, dealers don't have to do warranty work on units that they didn't sell and Forest River will find you a repair facility for warranty work that you require.
Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #7

We just ordered a 2014 Sabre 36QBOK fifth wheel that we are picking up on Oct. 2. Our local dealer actually has a sign in the store saying to "Buy from us so you don't have to go elsewhere for your service work". I found that to be a little slap in the face. We ended up going with a dealer about 5 hours away. They are about 1/2 mile from the factory where the Sabres are made. We got to pick out the colors, added several more options, and saved $3000. Hopefully I do not need any warranty work. The next closest dealer is about 1.5 hours away.
RadColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadColt View Post
We just ordered a 2014 Sabre 36QBOK fifth wheel that we are picking up on Oct. 2. Our local dealer actually has a sign in the store saying to "Buy from us so you don't have to go elsewhere for your service work". I found that to be a little slap in the face. We ended up going with a dealer about 5 hours away. They are about 1/2 mile from the factory where the Sabres are made. We got to pick out the colors, added several more options, and saved $3000. Hopefully I do not need any warranty work. The next closest dealer is about 1.5 hours away.
Yep...welcome to the world of buying out of town but Dealers in town don't want to service ya...I don't blame them for that policy, we as consumers must pick what's most important to us when making an RV purchase....and that is usually end price!

Old 09-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
I would be REALLY tempted to go there on a busy Saturday, wait until no one is looking, and scratch on the sign with a Sharpie "lower your price by $3000 so I don't have to shop elsewhere"!!!

In case you're not aware, any FR dealer (not just a Sabre dealer) can do warranty work. For example, a dealer selling class A Georgetown's can work on your unit.

I think FR could help you find a servicing dealer if you can't track one down.

Guessing you live in a northern climate if the factory is 5 miles away. Assuming so, try to get a couple trips in yet this year, figure out some initial warranty items, then drop it at a local dealer when it is quieter over the winter months. Then the same thing at the end if next season. Just an idea.

Worst case, plow your $3000 savings into a couple tanks of gas to drop it at the selling dealer or factory.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
I would be REALLY tempted to go there on a busy Saturday, wait until no one is looking, and scratch on the sign with a Sharpie "lower your price by $3000 so I don't have to shop elsewhere"!!!

In case you're not aware, any FR dealer (not just a Sabre dealer) can do warranty work. For example, a dealer selling class A Georgetown's can work on your unit.

I think FR could help you find a servicing dealer if you can't track one down.

Guessing you live in a northern climate if the factory is 5 miles away. Assuming so, try to get a couple trips in yet this year, figure out some initial warranty items, then drop it at a local dealer when it is quieter over the winter months. Then the same thing at the end if next season. Just an idea.

Worst case, plow your $3000 savings into a couple tanks of gas to drop it at the selling dealer or factory.
LOL, pretty funny. My local dealer told me that is the best price they could do. The funny thing is that I did not purchase mine from one of the large Internet dealers like RVDirect or RV Wholesale. I bought it from a small dealer in Northern Indiana. They have great testimonials for doing a thorough PDI. In fact, they will get it from the factory on Sept. 27 (factory is 1/2 mile from dealer) and I can not pick it up until Oct. 2. So I hope I don't have too much warranty work to worry about. I live in the Louisville, KY metro area, so I should be able to find someone close to do the warranty work. I didn't realize it could be any FR dealer. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:

LOL, pretty funny. My local dealer told me that is the best price they could do. The funny thing is that I did not purchase mine from one of the large Internet dealers like RVDirect or RV Wholesale. I bought it from a small dealer in Northern Indiana. They have great testimonials for doing a thorough PDI. In fact, they will get it from the factory on Sept. 27 (factory is 1/2 mile from dealer) and I can not pick it up until Oct. 2. So I hope I don't have too much warranty work to worry about. I live in the Louisville, KY metro area, so I should be able to find someone close to do the warranty work. I didn't realize it could be any FR dealer. Thanks for the heads up.
In the Cincinnati area, Colerain RV in Colerain OH and Holman RV in Batavia OH do FR warranty work on units not sold by them. Colerain also has a location in Indy. But there's a few options for you only a couple hours away.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #12

We purchased our camper from Colerains in Indy. They told me that they will work on any trailer but that they try to give priority to customers who purchased from them. I thought that was a fair enough policy.

They also gave me a good price and was only $200 more than RVDirect. I would have spent more than that in gas to go pick it up.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #13

RVDirect is great for price but in my experience expect to never see you again unless you want another unit. Service after the sale is slow, you must stay on them like a rash and they like to ignore phone messages and emails. I have a good local independent repair shop so they do my repairs but I must file the repair through RVDirect - I'm still waiting for compensation from June repairs...

When I bought my Forester - I bought it from Terrytown who beat RVDirect price. Terry town had GREAT after sale support and IMHO RVDirect isn't even close in service. Terry town carries both Forester and Sunseeker, RVWolesalers is a Forester dealer now.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
RVDirect is great for price but in my experience expect to never see you again unless you want another unit. Service after the sale is slow, you must stay on them like a rash and they like to ignore phone messages and emails. I have a good local independent repair shop so they do my repairs but I must file the repair through RVDirect - I'm still waiting for compensation from June repairs...

When I bought my Forester - I bought it from Terrytown who beat RVDirect price. Terry town had GREAT after sale support and IMHO RVDirect isn't even close in service. Terry town carries both Forester and Sunseeker, RVWolesalers is a Forester dealer now.
Why do you file the repair through RVDirect? I bought my Sunseeker from them. But went locally for warranty service. The warranty servicing dealer billed FR directly.

Maybe because its an independent repair shop? But I would think you could pay them then and get reimbursed directly by FR. Takes RVDirect as the middleman out of the picture. They probably don't reimburse you until they get money from FR which is likely the reason for the delay (the extra step).
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
Old 09-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #15

I have a Jayco now - the nearest Jayco dealer is two states away. So, unless I want to drag it two states an independent repair facility is a must. Some of it is Jayco paying, most of it is just plain out slow and non-existent service from RVDIRECT. I had to threaten filing a claim against them for me to get someone to call me back.... Terry town and RVWholesalers would be my choice....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
In the Cincinnati area, Colerain RV in Colerain OH and Holman RV in Batavia OH do FR warranty work on units not sold by them. Colerain also has a location in Indy. But there's a few options for you only a couple hours away.
Sounds like Colerain RV would be a good option. I used to live in Indy and still go up there quite a bit (Indianapolis Colts season ticket holder). Great suggestions as Indy and Cincy are both close. Hopefully the guys at Wana RV do a thorough PDI and I won't have to worry about it.