Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #1

RV Extended Warranties

I would like to see what people think of the extended warranties out there. I have received two quotes: one from Good Sam and one from GoRVer. The GoRVer is about $1825 for 5 years and covers most everything. Good Sam is about $1300 for two years. It covers a lot too but seems to have more restrictions.

I'm new to the RV world so I'm fairly new to these organizations. Is one supposed to be better than the other? GoRVer says they have been around for 20 years.

Recommendations? Advice?
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #2

I have never been a big believer in extended waranties but there are those that are. I would be very careful to read the fine print and make dang sure what they cover and what they don't.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #3

I agree. I don't normally buy extended warranties but on an RV it seems like there are a lot of things to break.
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:35 AM   #4

I do not like them, I think they are a waste of money. Now with that said, I purchased a used (1time) 08 Cardinal. Non of the warrenties transfer so with so much that could go wrong on a new trailer I purchased. Have not had to use yet. I think each case is different and you have to look at the trailer history and how much work you can do and go frome there.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #5

I think it depends on 3 things; (1) The complexity of your particular RV; and (2) Are you physically able to repair stuff yourself; and (3) Do you have the know-how (handiman) abilities to fix stuff yourself after researching the repairs needed. Only then can you weigh the pros and cons of an extended warranty. That's my 2 cents worth! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #6

warranties

Great advice on the warranties. It seems like an awful lot of money to spend when your only going to use the rv a couple of times a year.
TENNESSEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #7

My warranties are just about gone too so I checked when I received one of those mailings with Good Sam (and I have their roadside asst. - good stuff!) but the pricing was off the chart. For what they wanted each year, I could pay for some decent repairs. My coach has less than 7k on it now and most of it's use is during the spring/summer for racing trips. I just couldn't justify it. Also, while on the subject you should check your insurance. I had mine with my regular car insurance and recently moved it to Progressive with my same agent. Saved me a bundle of money.
Chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #8

I don't care much for extended warranties. I'm sure every once in a while, in certain instances, they may pay off. For the most part, the warranty provider will come out ahead. I usually take my changes doing without.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
Cunning Linguist

FWIW, the umbrella ESP's/Warranties are typically at a 40% m/u at the dealerships, as compared to what you can get off-the-rack (third party)..... so I wouldn't ever consider getting them from a dealership at time of purchase, unless you've already gotten third-party rate to negotiate with.

The idea of "extended warranty" on something being assembled from components that are purchased in pallet-to-warehouse quantities, and awarded to the lowest bidder is probably fantasy. IMHO the ESP just lock's you in to what dealership is going to take yr money when you need service. Cheap fasteners will need to be swapped with stainless, the sun will degrade external plastic components, heater elements/coils will foul, seals will separate, the 2-mil paint will eventually rust through ....all part of the joys of ownership.
If you haven't already ...take a look at the "not covered" section.... Typially thats 90% of what will go wrong with your unit in the first 10 years ..LOL

I've found that the labor rate almost always exceeds the cost of the components being replaced & some dealerships (especially here in Florida) will hold you hostage with daisy-chain repairs on non-ESP covered items, that they "must complete prior" to addressing the issue on the warranty part.

Finally, RV parts are fairly cheap & rarely "technologically significant". With some basic tools, a DIY attitude & some research-time on a helpful forum; you can do most repairs yourself. It's also been my experience on RV's/Trailers that when a lot of items fail, they fail catastrophically; so your just going to have to access/remove the component ....not actually "repair" it.

I guess if you can find a ESP that covers parts & labor, it could be worth it ... but I think regular DIY repair/maintenance on the unit & extended manufacturers warranty on the "big items" (a.k.a. "deluxe Items" on some policies) in your trailer would be a more cost effective route.

Again .... all IMHO & I'm only speaking in regard to TT's/FW's/towables ..... no experience with having to maintain/service a self-contained unit or big coach.
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We bought an extended warranty because of past experience and the numerous posts I see about stuff breaking. We are starting our 3rd year with our TT and have used the extended warranty twice; broken slide trolley and a bad water pump. So far, we have about 1/3 of the warranty price back. It will be interesting to see whether we break even. My guess is that it will be close. And if anything "bigger" goes, like refrig, air cond, water heater, etc, my guess is that we will come out ahead. Only time will tell. We got a 5 year warranty thinking that we will want something else in 5 years. It's all a crap shoot isn't it?
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Cunning Linguist

You have it ...so you won't need it ....

Isn't that how life works?
Old 06-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #12

How about the optional 2 year warranty for $150 that is available on Forest River products?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
How about the optional 2 year warranty for $150 that is available on Forest River products?
That's a good deal. It covers everything the first year warranty covers.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #14
Cunning Linguist

That's not much more than the hourly labor late at the local Lazydays.

I'd probably pay that just for the peace of mind.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #15

The only extended warranty we buy is the one directly from the FR manufacturer. We seem to find a few things after the 1yr basic warranty is up. Plus, it is fairly inexpensive? About $150 2 yrs. ago.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #16

+1 on the 2nd year from FR for $150 - that's a good deal and brings some piece of mind.

Denis
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #17

Like some have said. "If you have it you wont need it" it's like insurance.
calebgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #18
2011 Berkshire 390bh

To me extended warranties are like time shares. They sound good at the presentation, but the reality is the only one who makes out is the seller. Most of your rig is under warranty. If you find you have a lemon while it is under warranty then maybe the extended is a good idea, but other than that save your $$$.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #19

OK So I am one of the minorities and bought the insurance. So far we have used it to replace one of our jacks that started leaking, and a slide that didn't want to go back in. $100.00 was our cost. The insurance took care of the rest. Just piece of mind.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Just to be heard from

I bought a 1200 dollar mill stone of an extended warranty from my dealer.

To pay off, a stray electron coming in from outer space must be proven to have caused the damage. A sworn statement from ET must accompany the bill.

I trusted the dealer to pick one that they used for their warranty work.

When I folded the rear stabilizer while learning how it all worked, I learned the value of my warranty.

I reported the bent stab, thinking the warranty would cover it.
NOT! as it was "my fault" (True, but it was my first mistake! My second was reporting it and not just replacing the thing in the first place.)

Now everything that goes wrong with the rig can be traced back to that "bounce" when the stab folded.

Delam? screwed.
Out of rig anything? screwed.
Leak anywhere? screwed.

The roof is covered only for the material. Caulking, edge wear, scuff marks, branch scrapes, leaks, or anything else you can imagine that does not involve materal literally falling apart is not covered.

For 1200 bucks I could have replaced just about any appliance in the camper.

Live and learn.

OH, and the dealer NEVER mentioned the 150 dollar second year extension.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote