Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2021, 08:20 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1desertdude View Post
I had the same thin happen to me. It took 4 weeks to get the appropriate paperwork from Bank of the West for a trailer sale. My family will no longer do business with Bank of the Worst!
Hope you can do better than what happened to me. I have a 2000 Trail-Et horse trailer that will want to sell some day, so went to look for the title. Turns out we never received the title from the bank. It's been paid off now for nearly 20 years, and whats bad about this, Conseco, the company that had the lien, has been out of business for 15 or so years. I went to file a lost title on it, and because the lien was never released, I need proof of release of lien. Talk about a catch 22.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #42

Awaiting title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts View Post
So I've pressed the private seller to provide me with the following and has produced thus far:
- A bill of sale which I've had since payment was made, notarized a local Mass.
Bank
- A copy of his payment to BOTWest
- A letter from the BOTWest stating Paid in Full for correct VIN.
- The letter provided me with a BOTWest call back # which accepted my request to confirm note was paid in full as of 10 days ago. (Slow posting is guess) and stated the Title was mailed out 4 days ago (Slow motion again)

So Now I'm waiting for private seller to advise me he has received the title...

Mass. RMV is running at least 7 days behind in regard to getting registrations so I am going to bit the bullet and place my utility trailer plate on the RV to get it home instead of waiting for RMV to mail me the registration... (My better half is pressing me to get our merchandise home asap)

I called state police to see how they would react if I try to get the TT home with out the new lpates and registrartion. The trooper stated off the record if I had all the above docs, they would/could give me some slack - just to get it home...

Thoughts and thanks for all the feed back!
Well, depending on how law abiding your are; here is what I did. I simply took a plate from my truck, put it on the MH and drove home. Unless you have an incident, nobody is the wiser. The VIN check at the DMV immediately revealed the bogus tag and plate but no one cared. I should have removed the plate in advance but forgot. The title eventually came about 6 weeks later.
ronncda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronncda View Post
Well, depending on how law abiding your are; here is what I did. I simply took a plate from my truck, put it on the MH and drove home. Unless you have an incident, nobody is the wiser. The VIN check at the DMV immediately revealed the bogus tag and plate but no one cared. I should have removed the plate in advance but forgot. The title eventually came about 6 weeks later.
That is a misdemeanor offense in some states. Meaning you now have a criminal record, with your fingerprints on file forever.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
That is a misdemeanor offense in some states. Meaning you now have a criminal record, with your fingerprints on file forever.
Fingerprints on file? Big deal. If you served in the military, ever held a security clearance, have a concealed carry permit, or in some states ever purchased a "you know what", your fingerprints are on file even with no criminal record.

Only people who need to worry are those who leave their prints where they shouldn't.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Fingerprints on file? Big deal. If you served in the military, ever held a security clearance, have a concealed carry permit, or in some states ever purchased a "you know what", your fingerprints are on file even with no criminal record.

Only people who need to worry are those who leave their prints where they shouldn't.
I don't know about you, but I like the fact that I have no criminal history. As for people who served in the military, hold/held a security clearance, have a CCW or purchased some item, we're talking about a relatively small segment of the population. Most people go a lifetime without ever being fingerprinted.

But regardless, I would not advise people to use a license plate that is not legally associated with that vehicle.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

Fingerprints on file is not the problem. Having a misdemeanor associated with those fingerprints is. In most states, driving with a expired or non-existent vehicle registration is a moving traffic violation. Moving license plates from one vehicle to another rises to the level of attempting to defraud the government and is a misdemeanor. The OP knew they were driving the vehicle in violation of Massachusetts state laws. Then they attempted to cover their actions by moving license plates. The second action intentionally taken to prevent detection of the first action would completely negate any defense in court that would mitigate the first action.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #47

My Mother-in-Law was a wise old lady and I loved her tremendously. Sadly she is gone now but much of her wise guidance still exist within the grey matter.

Id like to pass alone her advice regarding anything unlawful...........DON'T DO IT!
Old 05-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #48
5th Year RVing

Smile All set

Hi, I took position Wed. and tittle is now in process in MA RMV. Agent says 7 to 10 days for plates to arrive with registration. Thanks 4 all your input!
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Hi, I took position Wed. and tittle is now in process in MA RMV. Agent says 7 to 10 days for plates to arrive with registration. Thanks 4 all your input!
We are at over 15 weeks here in Oregon for titles. They are blaming COVID. Supposedly law enforcement has been told to not stop anyone in Oregon for tag violations. The temp tag on my new to me Durango expires 5/2 and the temp tag on my new trailer expired a month ago. I've made every possible legal effort I can to comply with registration requirements and just going to leave the expired tags in the Windows and continue to drive.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #50

Purchased a car from private party once... we drove to the bank handed them the CASH and they handed me the title.... took them 20 min to find it.

In terms of your situation I would have the previous owner sign a release of interest on the unit and Bill of sale. Their state should have a forms for it. then I would drag it home. NO way I would have Paid for it and not hooked up to it. Not sure if previous owner cares about the lic plate but if not leave it on and take it home and or promise to mail them back.

I can't see police being THAT picky especially given the situation, even dealing with a ticket after the fact would be fairly simple to do as once it's all said and done your going to have registration.

Not to scare you but friend deals with titles for a large dealership in the area and she has a few cars that took a year to get cleared up as multiple banks, states ended up involved and less then fully honest owners trading them in.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
Hope you can do better than what happened to me. I have a 2000 Trail-Et horse trailer that will want to sell some day, so went to look for the title. Turns out we never received the title from the bank. It's been paid off now for nearly 20 years, and whats bad about this, Conseco, the company that had the lien, has been out of business for 15 or so years. I went to file a lost title on it, and because the lien was never released, I need proof of release of lien. Talk about a catch 22.
My state has a process to get a title, AKA lost and unknown situations. Basically they give 3 years for someone to complain and if no one does you get a title. you can register it, use it etc and then it's yours. Did it on a boat :
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #52
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Thank you for circling back and letting us know how it turned out for you.
Now go camping
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post

In terms of your situation I would have the previous owner sign a release of interest on the unit and Bill of sale. Their state should have a forms for it. then I would drag it home. NO way I would have Paid for it and not hooked up to it. Not sure if previous owner cares about the lic plate but if not leave it on and take it home and or promise to mail them back.

I can't see police being THAT picky especially given the situation, even dealing with a ticket after the fact would be fairly simple to do as once it's all said and done your going to have registration.
Previous owner financed the TT with OPs bank. Payoff process---- bank, bank to dmv, dmv to registered owner= exactly one month.
When I bought the TT, I took it home with bill of sale, and current registration and tag. Then I got a full coverage insurance(Good Sams) for it even though it's still not registered under my name. Two weeks later, used and enjoyed TT at the beach for 5 days!
Just got a call from the previous owner that I should receive it in 2 days. So I guess I'll head to AAA office to do a dmv title transfer this weekend. Happy camping!

Life is sometimes short, make the memories last longer- go RVing and just enjoy Life
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #54

One thing to keep in mind is that all the 50 states have their own laws regarding vehicle titles and lien holders. So whatever happens in the other 49 states is not applicable in bucknut's state.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:48 PM   #55

Just wanted report on my personal experience with BoW. I've been going back and forth on selling my SunSeeker 2700DS. Being that my loan interest rate was over 4% and reading some of the problems described in this thread I figured it would be a good time to pay off the loan and get the title in hand. Bottom-line, I wired the payoff on Friday 30 April and just received a letter from BoW today (Monday 17 May) notifying me the lien has been released from my electronic title and the paper title is available from the local BMV. For reference I am in Ohio and will need to go to the county title office and it will cost $15 to get the paper copy.
Emil Faber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:09 PM   #56
Enjoying Life

Take the letter with you. Sometimes the release does not occur the way it is supposed to and you will be needing the letter to prove it to the title office.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote