Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
5th Year RVing

Unhappy RV Loan - Bank of the West Title pending

Hi, I purchased a 2017 FR Flagstaff Superlite 26RBSSA from a private party.
The private party had a loan to payoff from bank of the West and we've been waiting for the title to arrive so I can take it home (from Rhode Island to Mass.)
and it's been three weeks now. Does any one have recent experience dealing with this Bank? Thanks
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:56 AM   #2

Have you contacted the bank?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Team

That's the bank that we have our RV loan through. Never had a problem in all the years we've dealt with them.

However it may depend on *how* they sent the title. I've had more problems than I can count with the USPS over the years.

It may be "on the way".
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #4

Why can't you take it home? Don't you have a Bill Of Sale?

NEVERMIND. I read that Massachusetts does not allow returning with a vehicle from out of state until it is titled and registered in Massachusetts first.
NavyLCDR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #5

I would contact the Bank ASAP.

A little late in this case but if I were buying Vehicle/RV from a private party that still had a lienholder on the title I would be writing a check to the lienholder (after getting a payoff statement from them) and the balance of the sale price to the seller.

This is how it's done when you trade in a vehicle or refinance with a different institution.

The Bank won't release the title until they're paid and in your case hopefully they have.

Title releases can take some time due to the size and "inertia" of large banks. When I paid off my TT it took about a month to receive the title with lien release.

Like a former President said "Trust but Verify". CALL THE BANK (and cross your fingers).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
D W

Three questions here:

1. Does the "bank" know who you are?

2. If so, is the 'bank" authorized to re-assign the Title to you?

3. Have you checked with the seller to see if the loan has been closed?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #7
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

If the seller closed the loan, the bank will send them the title -- usually 30 days, then it's up to the seller to get you the title.

Good luck!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #8

We had a problem with the mail (USPS). We had paid our loan with them off and we’re due money back from an overpayment. After 3 weeks contacted them, they showed it was delivered but we did not get it. After a month convinced them to put a stop payment on first check and they issued a second check that they requested a signed delivery receipt.
TomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #9

Title from bank

I recently paid off our tow vehicle. I received the title in less than a week. I would suggest investigating with the bank and seller.
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:48 PM   #10

Ran into this problem recently when I sold a Motorhome. Many states now keep the title on file and the bank does not "hold" the title. When there is a new owner, the bank fills out the paperwork (sometimes it's online) and sends it to the state and the state issues the title in the name of the person who had the MH financed. Then the title can be signed over to the new owner. In my case when I sold the MH it took 4 weeks for the state to issue the new title.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #11

Have you verified with the seller that they have, indeed, paid off the lien?

Talking with the bank might be a good idea, but I doubt they would talk with you about another customer's loan. Can you have the seller either call the bank or go on line to verify that Bank of the West got the funds and actually closed the loan? If so, the next obvious questions for the bank are "did you mail the title?" and "where?"

We had one of our trailers financed through Bank of the West, and they were very efficient and easy to deal with. We paid that trailer off early when we went to trade it, and had no problems with getting our title.

Maybe, as others have suggested, the problem is with the USPS.

Good luck.
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #12

Been dealing with this bank after selling my Dad's MH. I will say this is the slowest bank I have ever dealt with. Covid slow down or not, it was slow. Took a good six months and many phone calls to get it all done. Amazing.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 03:46 PM   #13
5th Year RVing

Smile Title Update

So I've pressed the private seller to provide me with the following and has produced thus far:
- A bill of sale which I've had since payment was made, notarized a local Mass.
Bank
- A copy of his payment to BOTWest
- A letter from the BOTWest stating Paid in Full for correct VIN.
- The letter provided me with a BOTWest call back # which accepted my request to confirm note was paid in full as of 10 days ago. (Slow posting is guess) and stated the Title was mailed out 4 days ago (Slow motion again)

So Now I'm waiting for private seller to advise me he has received the title...

Mass. RMV is running at least 7 days behind in regard to getting registrations so I am going to bit the bullet and place my utility trailer plate on the RV to get it home instead of waiting for RMV to mail me the registration... (My better half is pressing me to get our merchandise home asap)

I called state police to see how they would react if I try to get the TT home with out the new lpates and registrartion. The trooper stated off the record if I had all the above docs, they would/could give me some slack - just to get it home...

Thoughts and thanks for all the feed back!
bucknuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 04:51 PM   #14
Fla5er

Agree with SlowJoe: we had the same scenario, but it took only 3 weeks for us.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #15
D W

I've had numerous vehicle loans with USAA. USAA does not keep the titles in their Texas location. They have a repository in Lehigh, Pennsylvania. In all cases upon pay-off I received the titles in a week or less. Could be a COVID thing. These days, anything that can't be explained is blamed on COVID.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #16

Delayed Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts View Post
Hi, I purchased a 2017 FR Flagstaff Superlite 26RBSSA from a private party.
The private party had a loan to payoff from bank of the West and we've been waiting for the title to arrive so I can take it home (from Rhode Island to Mass.)
and it's been three weeks now. Does any one have recent experience dealing with this Bank? Thanks
We bought a previously owned motorhome as you did. It took then three months to get the title to me. The State of Louisiana penalized them twice because of the delay in registration. This was before COVID and no excuse. Thought mine was a fluke but it appears that they have internal problems in customer service.
Cajunrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:38 PM   #17

Bank West Loan

I just paid off a loan thru Bank of the West. They don't hold onto the pink slips, mine had to be issued from the DMV which seemed to take a few extra weeks. I think mine took close to 5 weeks to get.
KenStanion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:39 PM   #18

Quote:
So I've pressed the private seller to provide me with the following and has produced thus far:
Bank
- The letter provided me with a BOTWest call back # which accepted my request to confirm note was paid in full as of 10 days ago. (Slow posting is guess) and stated the Title was mailed out 4 days ago (Slow motion again)

Mass. RMV is running at least 7 days behind in regard to getting registrations so I am going to bit the bullet and place my utility trailer plate on the RV to get it home instead of waiting for RMV to mail me the registration... (My better half is pressing me to get our merchandise home asap)

I called state police to see how they would react if I try to get the TT home with out the new lpates and registrartion. The trooper stated off the record if I had all the above docs, they would/could give me some slack - just to get it home...

You might want to see if the state has a "Transit Permit" you can purchase. In my state you can purchase one of these that's good for 72 hours and only between two points. Some LEO's might cut you some slack with all those documents but you may run into one that won't and if there is a transit permit available it is usually a LOT cheaper than the ticket some "Dudley Doright" might feel it's his duty to issue. (usually not State but I'd be worried about small town and county officers as revenue is their prime motivator).

As for the "slow posting", if the original owner paid by check the bank may have a delay policy for "uncollected funds" before actually showing the note paid. I've seen that last 10 business days which in the bank world that's two weeks. The 4 days for mailing sounds like normal business processing as it probably had to pass over a couple desks for approval. 4 days in the mail already means you'll probably get it in a couple more days.

Good news is that the money you paid went where it was supposed to

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:09 PM   #19

Bank of the West (not best)

I sold my previous 5er (B of the W loan) to a guy in AZ, it took several dozen calls by his lender and myself to get the payoff amount, the payoff date, the BOTW loan to show paid off and I did not allow the super anxious buyer take the camper until all documents were completed properly and the whole process took several weeks. His lender was furious since they paid the balance in a timely manner. Never use them again.
Curt Q24 Hitch

JoeDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Bank

I called state police to see how they would react if I try to get the TT home with out the new plates and registration. The trooper stated off the record if I had all the above docs, they would/could give me some slack - just to get it home...

So though you called the Mass State Police, even if the person you talked to was an actual Policeman and not an Admin. I would not go on what he/she stated since no two policeman think alike and it could be costly if you did get pulled over or yet worse an accident. Then all bets were off and no one will own up to what was said. If it's the law to have it all legal before bringing it to Mass. then unfortunately I'd wait not worth the risk IMHO. On a side note, I've dealt with BOW on 2 separate MH's and they've been pretty good to deal with.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote