Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 09:07 PM   #21

Just finalized our new camper purchase at local dealer. At first they didn’t seem to want to deal much then I said no problem the Cleveland RV show is in a few weeks I’ll see what deal I can find when I go then. They immediately came back with a price 35% off MSRP beating any other dealer in the area. They even wrote down what their ‘show’ price for the same unit which was a few thousand more. They claimed it cost roughly 90k for them to be at the show so they have to recoup costs. I’m sure they were just telling me a story to get the sale but either way their price was right and that’s what really sold me. I told them I still want the free tickets to the show so I can see their advertised price there and we’ll still look around!
Dmaster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:22 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
The Hershey Show is a Manufacturer Show, not a dealer show, so you can do better. Either way you can be taken advantage of if you let your guard down. 35% below MSRP is where you want to be.
35% to 40% off MSRP. Agreed.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:45 PM   #23

I have been in contact with a few dealers trying to get a ballpark figure on price. One dealer gave me a price and texted me several days later asking if I have made a decision. I told him we are thinking about waiting and checking out the Houston RV show.

His response..."I can guarantee the price will be higher at the RV show"

My response.." Well that's not an incentive to stop by the (Dealership's) booth"

Is 35% average off MSRP with any brand? We are also looking at different manufacturers besides Forest River. We are in no hurry to purchase, we can wait on when the price is right.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
I have been in contact with a few dealers trying to get a ballpark figure on price. One dealer gave me a price and texted me several days later asking if I have made a decision. I told him we are thinking about waiting and checking out the Houston RV show.

His response..."I can guarantee the price will be higher at the RV show"

My response.." Well that's not an incentive to stop by the (Dealership's) booth"

Is 35% average off MSRP with any brand? We are also looking at different manufacturers besides Forest River. We are in no hurry to purchase, we can wait on when the price is right.

Here’s how one sales guy explained it to me:

At the RV shows dealers have to pay people to transport the units from their dealership to and from the shows. They also have to have more than usual staff to accommodate so much foot traffic so they fly in and house sales staff from all over.

Therefore the prices cannot be any less than what you would get straight from the dealer at their showroom if not less there.

In my opinion the great benefits of going to shows is you can see so many models and brands all in one spot instead of driving around to different dealers.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #25
Retired and Loving Life!

Send a message via MSN to Alan F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post

At the RV shows dealers have to pay people to transport the units from their dealership to and from the shows. They also have to have more than usual staff to accommodate so much foot traffic so they fly in and house sales staff from all over.

Therefore the prices cannot be any less than what you would get straight from the dealer at their showroom if not less there.

In my opinion the great benefits of going to shows is you can see so many models and brands all in one spot instead of driving around to different dealers.

That doesn’t hold true for a Manufacturer Show like Hershey. The dealers do not have anything invested in the show, only the manufacturers and the sponsors. The dealers get paid to deliver the units for the manufacturer and the sales people are paid by the manufacturer. Win/win situation for everyone, especially the consumer.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post

The cost of a dealer going to a show is just overhead - no different than the electric bill at the showroom. They've spent the money to go to the show whether they sell one unit or 1,000. The cost of doing the show won't dictate what they sell units for.

They will price show units at whatever the market requires for them to sell units. You have a huge pool of buyers available in a short time, but they have a lot of competition as well.

We've bought 2 trailers at the local show. If you do your homework and know what the best potential price is and negotiate a good deal, you should be able to get the a good deal whether you buy off the lot or at a show. The dealer is going to have a bottom line number and where you buy isn't going to have much influence on that. We did find the show special included some throw-ins as far as hitch and other accessories they only do for that week.

But, I also found that with a couple units we didn't buy, those dealers called back after the show willing to go $1,000 less than their best price from the show. If you really want to get the best deal, my strategy would be shop the show and start to negotiate then tell them you will think about it. They will follow up after the show on all their potential sales. Regardless of whether you are on the lot or at a show, politely walking away to think about it is absolutely the best way to get a better deal.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #27

Our intention is to go and look at different RVs , we have a short list on several we really like. I'm gathering prices on several units so I know the price prior to the show.

I'm not the person who gets lost in the lights and dazzle of the RV Show and must buy immediately, like my wife. LOL I'm sure the dealers love people who must have the new sparkling RV ASAP.

Hell, I may buy one before the show, we shall see.

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #28

So here is our story. Went to the RV show this summer and were pretty much totally overwhelmed by the variety of trailers. I knew we were looking for a trailer in the 20' range so that knocked a large portion out. Saw the flyers with $169 a month payments but they were definitely less quality units. Started doing research and decided the Winnebago Mini was our rig. Later found the FR 2104S with the Murphy bed was a better floor plan. No dealer within 150 miles had one in stock at the time. Nearest dealer said he would order one because he knew he could sell it even if I didn't make a purchase. Sure enough 2 months later they had one we looked and eventually made the purchase. The offer to seal the deal was after looking they called a couple days after the first viewing dealer calls and offers $1000 cash back (tag and tax) and no payments til March. The hardest part about price comparison at least on RV trader.com is knowing exactly what options come with your trailer. There is often an $8000 price difference in a nation wide search but the descriptions are vague about exactly what you are getting. Earlier post mentioned it is to your advantage to walk away and think about it before committing and I totally agree. The dealer told me the manufacturer incentives are at the highest during the shows. The offset is you have to (or get to) pick out options. I hold value in seeing what I am getting and not assuming anything. Oh I didn't know you wanted the aluminum wheels or the 15000 BTU AC. Wait 8 weeks or however long it takes to get a custom order and maybe not really get what you want.
Okmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show