Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #201

I was a sailor for 30 years. Then had my own semi and mama and the puppy went with. We love to travel, and so does our Shih Tzu. We have another pup now so hotels/ motels don't fit us,
We enjoy taking our time trying not to do to much in one day.
We are going to a Coast Guard reunion in Reno in two weeks and will do about 250- 300 miles a day. Much better than trucking and trying to make it to the customer.
It's relaxing to us. To quote somebody who I can't recall, "it's how we roll"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 Sabre 32 RCTS-6 Platinum.
2002 F350 SD 7.3 Powerstroke.
tugger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:41 PM   #202

Haven't read this whole thread,
But out here in the west
Your favorite fishing water, camping spot, hunting camp etc. is nowhere near a motel......
Sure you could tent it cheaper than my TT, or sleep on the ground, but mtn. Nites are pretty nippy.
My TT is a necessity........
Gleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #203

Even expensive motels/hotels can have bed bugs! A neighbor brought them home from an interior design conference in Chicago, where she stayed at the hosting hotel.

I like the OP's view, it's a way of life choice. Travel is expensive any way you cut it. If the $$$ aren't too tight, you can make the choice you will enjoy most.
OutOfTheTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:44 PM   #204

The longer you stay at a camping location, the more the cost swings to favor camping, Rv'ing or what ever. Now your comparing CG rates at what, $30-$40 per night to $100 plus at a decent at best hotel.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #205

We don't avoid hotels to save money. Sure, its the bed-bug thing but also the fact we can bring our dog with us. My sister stayed a a brand new hotel in Universal Florida and got bed bugs. So, OutoftheTent is right. She was told every time you take your luggage to a hotel or cruise, etc, put it in a plastic bag for 24 hours to kill any bugs. The first thing we all do, is throw it on our bed and unpack. Not any more. Love my RV, but granted you will not save a lot of money over hotels.
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #206

Malebarbor, my point is once you get to your location, double by return trip those costs are fixed now Sure a two or three day weekend you can probably hotel cheaper, but a week or more my experience leans to the RV. Last Sept. We went to Atlanta and Gatlinburg, TE for 13 days and my total expenses were under $1600. That includes my cost of ownership of my motor home, I.E.loan, registration, insurance and yearly basic maintenance. No 13 day trip at hotels and air or car travel will touch that expense.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #207

I truly do not even think about cost. We have been camping at the same place for 20 years. We are right on the lake, and our site has both sun and woods. No hookups, small campground, so the kids could run wild. Water every couple of sites, bathroom and bathhouse with showers. That's all we need. Our campground is $18 a night plus $9 registration fee. B&B's in the area start at about $250 a night, and you're not outside. We do everything outside, even in the rain. We cook dinners on the fire, put up a lean-to if the weather is really bad, have a great screen house for the same bad weather, and love every minute. No luxury hotel could compare. (Did I mention the loon calls at night, the merganser families, the fledging Merlins, the Bald Eagles, the fresh fish, the campfire at night, the beer in front of the campfire....?) Priceless.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:48 AM   #208

There really isn't a comparison. Usually for us, when we consider sleeping in a motel it would be only when on vacation or out of state at a funeral or something like that. With the camper we can travel to a campground, several nearby, within 45 minutes and stay for a weekend for family time. Nobody is going to do the same on a weekend so close to home. Camping to our family is priceless.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #209

Nobody is going to do the same in a motel on a weekend so close to home.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #210

Nearest "rv resort" is 1 hr away, several times a year me & wifey drag the 5er over there & stay all weekend, no more hotel rooms for us.
Biggest perk: I sleep in my own bed!
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:24 AM   #211

I will admit, while trying to locate a good campground for our Yellowstone trip this fall, I was alarmed by the rates advertised.

P.S. We'll go anyway, of course.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #212
Somewhat right of center

RVing is much cheaper cause I'm in debt and living pay check to pay check. I camp for a week once a month during spring/summer/fall. There's no way I could afford that in any motel. No luggage to worry about, all the comforts of home plus no surprises under the bed, on the bed, behind the dressers or in the closet let alone what is sometimes missed in the bathroom.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:36 AM   #213

We use to run away from home almost every weekend (daughter and grandson at home), sometimes we would only go 30 minutes from home. sometimes its just to unplug. and get away from the everyday stuff. To me staying in my RV is priceless, I have a comfy bed and chair, I know the place is clean because I cleaned it. I love sitting out by the fire with my little dogs, you can't do that in a hotel.

My friend got bed bugs and brought them home, it cost her over $1000 to get rid of them

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #214

i think by going to a hotel/motel is a waste of money bc all you are doing is paying to watch someone else's tv .In a rv or tent unless you are outside listining to the birds and bees and meeting new people
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:12 AM   #215

For our semi annual trek to Fort Wilderness, I ran the numbers several times and it was about a wash money wise.
The cost of eating out with two boys that were ALWAYS hungry growing up was what made the difference money wise.
Now that they are grown, taking the grandson, same problem LOL
For the weekenders and short trip, motel would be cheaper I think, but as others have stated, staying in YOUR own bed, etc.. No reason to compare prices, it is priceless
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #216

Campsites here in WI are getting so expensive, unless your at a state park the fee's are getting to almost a cheap motel..than add in the expense of dragging the camper, (forget what the camper cost and maint...), its almost a wash now.
For us we bought to take our girls with (3 beagles..), no more vacations without them.

InTheSticks
Old 05-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #217

I hate air travel. Than you have to rent a car, book a hotel (who knows what slept or did what in that bed the night before), lug your baggage, eat at restaurants and hope you don't bring bedbugs home. We just returned from 5 nights in the Ocala National forest for $99.00. (Salt Springs National Recreation Area). Full hook up with sewer. Saw abundant wildlife, away from the heavy traffic of RV resorts. Swam in 72 degree fresh water spring. Cooked our own meals and enjoyed the company of other campers with like interests. In a hotel you will likely never talk to anyone in the corridors. Can't wait to full time and get rid of the anchor (house).

2015 Rockwood 2703ws
2013 Ford f-150 5.0
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleaner View Post
I will admit, while trying to locate a good campground for our Yellowstone trip this fall, I was alarmed by the rates advertised.

P.S. We'll go anyway, of course.
I was too, but I'll still be there this August!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:08 PM   #219

My favorite campground is still inexpensive and the cleanest park I have ever stayed at. Unfortunately it is 375 miles away. It is on the Snake River in Hells Canyon. The park is called Copperfield. Full hook-up is $16.00 per night. The parks that we go to for weekend trips are anywhere from $35-55 per night.

Nights camped 2015....23
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #220

We bought the travel trailer and I still struggle with the cost. It seems to me that in order for the rv to be cost efficient you have to be gone at least 3-4 days. We usually travel within 6 hours of home. I am learning the overall family fun is out weighing going to a hotel because the rv trip half the fun is getting there. The problem I worry about is that trying to find an affordable State campground is becoming harder to find and reservations are too hard to find too. I will keep trying the experience but once it's not worth the effort, it will be time to go back to hotel travel.
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote