Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #1

RV Wholesalers: where/how do i get service?

I purchased my RV from RV Wholesalers last August. I did not buy the extended warranty. I'd like to have someone look at my leaky AC unit. RV Wholesalers tells me: first that I must email my questions/concerns to them; second: their response is: "get an estimate in writing, submit it to them, they will then contact Forest River to see if it will be covered". This sounds odd to me. Are they telling me that I need to bring the RV into a service center, drop it off for who knows how long, to receive an estimate; to send off and wait who knows how long... Will a service center even allow my unit to stay that long?

I know that this inconvenience is part of buying outside the typical dealer. I just want to know if anyone out there has had experience with this process, or if they have better suggestions like contacting Forest River directly.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks for reading. -ron
1 wonderful wife
and too many Toys to bring along!
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
camping

I would call and email the factory warranty manager for your unit and have them tell you how to proceed. I know any service work will need to be approved by the factory before they can proceed, most likely RV Wholesalers is going to forward your email. I think it would be a lot faster.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Site Team

i bought my Rockwood Roo in Chicago and live in Napa, Cal.

i contacted the FR Roo rep to get some local dealers that would do the warranty work.

FR found a number of dealers, one didn't even carry any FR products. i was able to have all my warranty work done locally.

FR even said that i could go to an independent RV service shop if they submitted an estimate to be approved and i was willing to be reimbursed after the work was done.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #4

If your problem is with a component not put together by FR such as a Dometic refrigerator, air conditioner, A&E awning, Suburban furnace or water heater, Amana microwave, etc. etc. etc. then you really don't even need to deal with an FR dealer at all. Get out the owners manual or go to the web site for the component in question and find the closest authorized service center and call them. They can and will do the warranty work for that item and bill the manufacturer directly. When you deal with only an FR dealer they become a midleman in the issue and it isn't necessary. If there is an issue causing a problem to the component that was due to FR's fault then the facility can contact FR for reimbursement with that issue.

Long and short of it is that unless it has to do with the actual construction of the RV itself you don't need to deal with FR at all.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #5

That's great news. I will try to contact Dometic.
1 wonderful wife
and too many Toys to bring along!
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
camping

Also let FR know, couldn't hurt

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote