Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 PM   #21

Computers have become so diversified, and everyone has their own preference. I've been using PCs since before they were "personal" computers, have an iPad, iPhone and Mac Air, several Windows laptops and a Dell desktop. Hm. What will my next computer be....? I don't know if any RV manufacturer could predict what computer might suit a buyer. I did note, though, that the place I just bought my RV from offers iPads with rentals.
Too Many Cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #22

I think a custom PC install would be awesome. The only problem will be finding a touch screen that will cover the opening left over from the Concertone. You can already buy a 12V power supply and the rest of the components can be mounted in the void behind with out any case. Add a wireless router so you can control it from anywhere with a iPhone, iPad or any Android device. The only draw back with this would be dry camping. The only question I have with this I'm assuming this Concertone is fed with 12V's?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1 View Post
The only draw back with this would be dry camping. The only question I have with this I'm assuming this Concertone is fed with 12V's?
Yup, 12v.

For a "drop in" 2 din 12v carcomputer solution, have a look at the store located at mp3car.com

Touch screen, mp3, DVD, Internet, phone integration. Controlling accessories, etc. Your imagination (and skill) is your only limit.

You can buy them off the shelf or, as I used to do, build 'em myself.

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #24

Thanks GW, mp3car is in my bookmarks already

Re-thinking this I'd probably stick with a 7" touch screen and trim it out.

One thing that bugs the crap out of me with the Concertone is how many lights are on the unit, it sits directly above my TV and is very distracting. They really should have the ability to dim the lights.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #25

We have been surviving with a few lap tops. They are either wireless connected to the CG web or to out 3G tablet. I think that's better quality than we would get thru a PC supplied by a RV manufacture.
Wally
Old 12-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #26
MrT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if all RV's come equipped with PC's. Personal preference a Mac, but IBM will do.

Buffett buys $10.7-billion stake in IBM

Buffett buys $10.7-billion stake in IBM - The Globe and Mail
I disagree with any point of view that says an RV should come equipped with a specific personal computing technology. Let the users bring their own.

2017 Cedar Creek 38CK Hathaway Edition
2015 Ford F-350 6.7 CC 4x4
B&W RVK3300
Full-timing since 5/2/2016. Roam Sweet Home.
FROG Int'l Rallies: 2012-2017
MrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #27

I support Windriders' point of view, however I know I am amongst a dying breed, which is good for me because my kind of camp sites are less and less overpopulated. My trailer does not have a television, nor would I ever equip it with one.

However, for the occasional trip to So. California, if I take a computer, I have my laptop, which is already set-up with the programs I prefer, camp pictures, drivers for my cameras, GPS, and I don't have to worry about setting up a new computer to fit my needs.

Personally, I would not be interested in purchasing a travel trailer/motor home with a computer already in the contract. I think the upcharge would be too much, I would prefer to buy a computer at a better price.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote