Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Salem 171rbxl vs 241qbxl

Hello. I'm new to the forum. My husband are getting ready to enter the world of travel trailers and we've narrowed it down to two: the Salem 171rbxl and the Salem 241qbxl. Any one out there own either model? What would you say are the pro's and con's of both?

Our TV is a Ford F150 with a 5.4 V8 engine so either trailer should be towable for us. My husband has experience pulling horse trailers so we're not new to the towing thing - just the travel trailer thing.

Any advice you can give will be appreciated.

Thank you!
pamelasou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #2

These models are quite similar. Having gone from a pop-up to an 18' Hybrid to now ordering a 32' bunk house in less than 1 year, I suggest that you consider the one that has the features you know you'll need and ones you may not have considered. Weigh the benefits of storage and optional sleeping of one vs. the other. A standard bed will be much more convenient than a Murphy bed. In either case, opt for the 15K air conditioner. Look for an RV show in your area to visit. It's eye opening to see what's available in the RV world.
Good advice is to buy your 3rd RV first - something we did not do!
Wish you the best of luck and happy camping!
frostriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:59 AM   #3

Thank you for your advice!
pamelasou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #4

Just remember to slow down and enjoy the view. Have fun
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #5

We have a Wildwood 17rbxl which I believe is like the Salem. We love It! Murphy bed works great fur us, but not for others. Look both over, do walk through, and go with the one you like.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #6

I own the 241QBXL and I really like it. I moved from a 20' 1991 Dutchmen that had the convertible gaucho and wanted a solid bed that I didn't have to close up. It appears that the 241 will give you more room as it has the sofa. I do like that the 171 has the closets in the bath though I don't know how big they are. There is good cabinet space in my bath below the sink. My unit has the power jacks which make set up so much easier than having to get down and hand crank.

The two things I would change would be to have more counter space in the kitchen and a shower that is easier to get in and out. I have to sort of maneuver between the bathroom door and the shower door.

Take a good look at whatever you decide to buy. Figure out what you want, don't want, and what you can live with. Nothing will be perfect, most likely but you want to come close. I used a form I created when I went to the camper show a couple of years ago and listed what I wanted out of each section (bed, bath, kitchen, cabinets counters etc.) and rated each. When I bought mine it seemed right and came to find out that it was my first choice of the ones I saw at the show a year or so earlier based on my sheets. Had kind of forgotten about doing that.

Personally, I think you'll like the 241QBXL. I love mine.

2021 Nights Camped: 29 (so far)
2020 Nights Camped: 18
2019 Nights Camped: 18
MartiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:51 AM   #7
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostriver View Post
Good advice is to buy your 3rd RV first - something we did not do!
Wish you the best of luck and happy camping!
this is great advice. Buy the biggest baddest trailer of your dreams first. Cause if you don't you will end up buying it in the end.
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:03 AM   #8

The 241 is longer and the additional space is nice without a huge penalty of additional weight.. The bath appears a bit more spacious although it is a bit surprising that it doesn't have the hanging closet space of the 171. We love the corner shower. We have friends with the 241 and it is nice.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem