Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #1

Saskatchewan TT Insurance

I was wondering if anyone in SK can tell me what their TT insurance is like with SGI and how much their TV insurance went up when declared pulling the new TT with it?
Robert Renwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #2

We have SGI Personal Auto Pak on our TT as well as on our TV.

Wasn't aware there would be a change to the TV insurance. We plate all our vehicles and purchase the Personal Auto Pak through the same agency and they didn't say anything either.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 PM   #3

Reason I ask about the TV rates increasing, they ask if we are going to be towing trailers every time we plate our truck or renew it seems. I just figured the rates would be higher.

On average what is your annual RV insurance bill?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #4

I can't remember off hand what the plate insurance is for the TT, but the SGI package policy is about $65 a year.

Whenever I've renewed the plates on the truck I don't recall having to answer a question about towing. I'll have to ask the next time I go into the insurance agency.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

If your gross combined weight is over 11,000 lbs you need to declare that with SGI when you plate your TV as it is on the registration as RGVW (registered gross vehicle weight) I am registed for 19,000 and I think my plates are abt 10 or 15 bux a month more. Your SGI insurance place should be asking if you tow a trailer and if so is the combined weight over 11k every time you do your plates (at least mine does) Essentially this is thier way of charging us RVers a small amount of road tax similar to commercial stuff.

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/individuals/reg...reational.html

That link states more than 1 trailer but it is also valid for single trailer units.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskCampers View Post
If your gross combined weight is over 11,000 lbs you need to declare that with SGI when you plate your TV as it is on the registration as RGVW (registered gross vehicle weight) I am registed for 19,000 and I think my plates are abt 10 or 15 bux a month more. Your SGI insurance place should be asking if you tow a trailer and if so is the combined weight over 11k every time you do your plates (at least mine does) Essentially this is thier way of charging us RVers a small amount of road tax similar to commercial stuff.

SGI - Recreational vehicles

That link states more than 1 trailer but it is also valid for single trailer units.
Okay thanks. I see the question on the renewal application now.

I think why I missed it was I had renewed the plates on the truck using the online method last year before we had the trailer.

I'll answer yes this year when renewal comes up and see how much it goes up.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #7

My truck is at 8200kgs they also should be asking about towing out of prov. and if you do you need a
Highway traffic board certificate of safety fitness ( only required if towing out of SK., their also asking if your be out of prov. Longer than 31 days

Kdcamper 2011 Chev 3500 cclt 2013 8329ss tt d.p. husky centreline air safe hitch
kdcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdcamper View Post
My truck is at 8200kgs they also should be asking about towing out of prov. and if you do you need a
Highway traffic board certificate of safety fitness ( only required if towing out of SK., their also asking if your be out of prov. Longer than 31 days

Kdcamper 2011 Chev 3500 cclt 2013 8329ss tt d.p. husky centreline air safe hitch
Ya got all that too, sorry I forgot to mention that above. You need to have a copy in the TV at all times when towing.

John & Deb
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #9

Thanks all, I'll post here what my insurance bill comes to when we go to pick up our new unit.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #10

See how good my memory is.....SGI rep asks for gross combined weight of truck and trailer, I had the trailer, but the truck weight eluded me for some reason. I added 1000 kg to the existing policy just to be safe. $80 more per year on my TV policy. The Rep takes my word that this was good.

Asks if I will be towing out of SK for business purposes or for more than 30 days, and that's about it.

1 year policy was about $360 for trailer alone.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Renwick View Post
See how good my memory is.....SGI rep asks for gross combined weight of truck and trailer, I had the trailer, but the truck weight eluded me for some reason. I added 1000 kg to the existing policy just to be safe. $80 more per year on my TV policy. The Rep takes my word that this was good.

Asks if I will be towing out of SK for business purposes or for more than 30 days, and that's about it.

1 year policy was about $360 for trailer alone.
Too funny, that rate seems to be abt what I pay for ours. Except I only insure it for the months we plan on using it as I have it under the package policy of the truck so when it is not being used it is covered without having to keep separate insurance on it and it is much cheaper that way.

John & Deb
Old 04-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #12

Renewed the plates on the truck the other day and with the combined weight of the truck and trailer on the registration, the rate went up $10 a month.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bones View Post
Renewed the plates on the truck the other day and with the combined weight of the truck and trailer on the registration, the rate went up $10 a month.
When you renewed your plates, did you use the actual weight of your trailer or a projected weight? I am going to be renewing my plates in a couple weeks and won't be picking up the trailer for a month or so. I would like to have this included without having to go back or having to go to the scales to get an actual weight.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperShawn View Post
When you renewed your plates, did you use the actual weight of your trailer or a projected weight? I am going to be renewing my plates in a couple weeks and won't be picking up the trailer for a month or so. I would like to have this included without having to go back or having to go to the scales to get an actual weight.
I just rounded up the dry weight listed in the specs.