Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Submarines once..........

Seasonal campsite

So DW and I are considering getting a seasonal campsite next year. We are looking into cost but it would save us gas money by driving her van instead of pulling the camper with my truck and work out better with my rotating shift work schedule. It will limit our destinations to one though for those of you who have done this how did you like it?
63 Nights in 2012! 8 Nights and counting in 2013
Four high energy Little Girls!:
melbornj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #2

We have a seasonal site. We are now full timers but before be moved into this great life style we had a seasonal site. It was within a 1/2 hour of work and a close commute. You can move your TT off the site any time you want and can take your unit on holidays. You have the best of both worlds. We used the trailer at the seasonal site as a cottage.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Had a seasonal site for 25+ years. Having a seasonal site is great, for many practical reasons. As to how you would like it, that all depends on how your own expectations mesh with how the campground is managed, the overall "climate" of the campground, and the behavior of other seasonals camped around you. Unless you already know the campground well, you pay your nickle and take your chances.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Always Learning

Right now, it's not for me. We enjoy seeing different places, but I have a very flexible work arrangement and can do it. My sister had a seasonal site for 4 or 5 years and loved having it. She probably gets more use out of hers as it was close to her work and she could get ready there and go into the office.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

I had a friend whose parents had a seasonal site and one of my employee's parents have one. I don't hear any complaints - but in both cases you have to maintain your own site - as in cut the grass. So if you don't visit for a few weeks you get a bill or nasty letter. Most often also meter your elec usage and I've seen some that also charge for sewage.

We joined a 'resort' via membership. A flat up front fee (worth 2-3 years seasonal charge depending on the CG) that gets us membership for 10 years plus $300/yr maintenance/membership fee. We can go to our resort as much as we want or any other in the association for no charge at all, and then there is an affiliate org that is $10 a night.
You can opt to pay more for a 'seasonal' site or vacate your site each visit - but then you can use a different site next trip - no concerns about neighbor issues, if you camp with friends you can choose adjoining sites, have a site in the back if you want quiet or near the pool if you plan to swim a lot, etc. All the resorts i"ve seen offer storage there and will set the camper on a site for you for a nominal fee so you can still drive the van or car instead of pulling the camper.

We go up in may and leave the camper thru july 4 week or so and then pull it home and go to other resorts the rest of the summer. Sorta splitting the difference between a seasonal site and always having to tow.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #6

We pulled our TT for a couple of years then got tired of choosing between our boat or our camper. We ended up at a seasonal site 15 miles from the dock our boat is at 200 miles from home. We love it, but the fact the campground is well managed and there are limits seasonal lots make the environment great. I can always pull the TT out if we wanted to go somewhere else for a trip, but we've found our grove of boating/camping from May - Sept, Key West in the fall and usually a business trip that the family comes along for in the spring. If we are going for a short weekend, we pitch the tent.

This works for us. Everyone's options are different.
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #7

After doing our fair share of travelling seeing the sites and as the kids got too old to go camping with us (college, jobs, etc) we decided to try a seasonal site. Been there 5 years and love it. Nothing like unpacking the cooler for the weekend, putting out the awning, sitting back and relax. Definately turn-key. Sure, sometimes I miss going to different places but seasonal camping is a different type of camping. Like another poster said it's like having a 'cabin' only on wheels. You can still pull out and go someplace for a couple weeks. We were fortunate to find a campground about 2 hours from home that has very private large wooded sites. We have met alot of great people who we enjoy socializing with. One thing I would suggest when looking for a seasonal campground, camp there for a weekend to check the place out. Is it a party place where quiet hours are a mere suggestion or are they actually enforced. Look around to see how the facilities like bathrooms, pool, grounds, etc are maintained and how the other seasonal sites look. We looked at alot of places before we made our decision. Some campgrounds were geared to kids with activities every weekend, too much for our tastes. Some places the sites were so small the end of the awning would be 5 feet from the next camper, too crowded for us. Good luck with your decision and search for a place that meets your needs and wants.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #8
Trailer Trash

As 5th wheels and travel trailers keep getting longer and more luxurious, it makes sense to do the seasonal site thing. Set it up, and use it like a cabin/cottage. The inside of my Columbus is nicer than most peoples homes. Between my truck and 5th wheel, the combination is 11 tons and 57 feet long. That doesn't make much sense to drag it around every weekend much less drive it all over the place if I was retired and doing RV full time.

Now, if I had a shorter lighter truck and a 20-30 foot RV, well that is easy to get in and out of campsites so traveling with it would be easier. It's what alot of us grew up with as kids or our younger adult years.

I used to do computer/laptop repair and consulting. Many people wanted me to help them buy a new computer. First question I asked them was what do you want to do with it. That same question applies to RV use. What do you want to use your RV for? Answer that and the type of campsite you need will be solved.

I use websites to check out RV parks. It helped me find the RV spot I wanted to go to. Couple examples are: RV Park Reviews :: Home

Woodalls + Trailer life merged. Check out
2013 Good Sam RV Travel Guide & Camping Directory
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
What do you want to use your RV for? Answer that and the type of campsite you need will be solved.
When we bought our first RV my goal was to get off the ground and have a way to carry stuff in the trailer to be more 'ready' to go than with tent camping.
A few years of that (tiny pop up) and we have kids, camp more - now I wanted as little setup as possible, a bathroom, heat, wife wanted a/c, kids needed separate beds and space for friends to come along - so we got a 28' trailer.

Now I want a 'rolling hotel room' as small and light as possible so I can go alone or with a friend/my wife on 'adventures' - aka long weekends and avoid the cost/hassle of hotels. I almost I guess want a van camper of some kind as I"m not finding a trailer that excites me and to visit a city you need to park and getting a car/teardrop even into a parking garage sounds like the worst idea on earth.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Having seasonal RV site is great! We have a family cottage on Lake Superoir with 100 ft of water front. My brothers stay in the cottage and we park the TT on the other side of the lot. It's 45 minutes away from home, so it's easy to run out to it. The great thing is the if the wife and dog want a weekend out, all they need to do is pack a few quick things and they are gone. Then if I'm working the weekend I can stop in for supper or something. Then on the times when we want to travel, pack extra clothes, pick up the TT and hit the road.

We have the best of both worlds and I think having a seasonal lot that you could pull out when ever you want is a great idea. For some RVers they may live in community that doesn't allow RV storage at their home or condo this is the answer.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote