Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys View Post
Some have alluded to but no one mentioned being safe. Make your "cash" transaction in a public place, Bank (#1), local library, restaurant, etc. You don't want your signed title and RV gone along with the cash you never got.
Offer to meet in the parking lot of the local police department. If they balk, run away.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #22

Definitely cash.

Definitely a bill of sale.

Get copy of ID or license information of people you sold it to.

Check with the DMV or County where the trailer is register. Each state has different requirements. Usually the state or county will have a website giving the requirements when you sell a vehicle. We don't have to take off the license plate. In fact, the trailer is required to have a license plate to be on the road.

Might not be a bad idea to get a picture of the vehicles (including license plate of tow vehicle) as they hook up.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Definitely cash.

We don't have to take off the license plate. In fact, the trailer is required to have a license plate to be on the road.
Trailer is required to have a VALID plate to be on the road. A plate registered to the previous owner isn't valid and is the same as no plate. It's the buyer's responsibility to bring a plate if they want to have one on. It can be a new one, a temp, one pried off of the old pop up dying behind their shed, doesn't matter to me. But it's definitely their problem to get a plate not mine. Not to be a broken record, but there's not a chance I'm letting some stranger drive off with my plate on a ride.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #24

Re certified check. We called the bank after getting permission from our buyer, before we met to confirm the funds and reputation of the buyer. They arrived with the check and bank loan officer's business card. We signed and gave them the title after they inspected the TT.

We attached the new owners' info to the back of our registration and mailed it to our DMV so they knew we no longer owned it.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #25

Well start here https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-fo...-an-individual

There is a contact link to ask questions. You can ask if a bill of sale is required. I would get one if only for self protection in case something bad happens after it leaves there is a record.

Take the cash. Be leery if they offer more than you are asking at any point even if you are doing them a favor. Most scams say I will pay you X more if you can do Y for me.

Meet at the bank. Have them withdraw the cash there if they can so you know there is nothing counterfeit. If they don't have a bank local use yours. They usually provide free notary services for the bill of sale and title and can deposit the cash so you know it's real. The cash should clear immediately.

Where ever they plan to register they may get a 30day tag or simply post "in transit" in the back window. Most states including yours require you register in 10 days of the purchase so the bill of sale and title should get them through anything. Not sure where they are coming from but this is on them so don't worry. You take your plate in most cases as you need it to refund any taxes but again each state varies. Ask your dmv at the bottom of the link I posted.

Good luck and stay safe.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #26
Erinn

As many have already stated, DON'T let them leave with your plates.

I would also contact the DMV in YOUR state, & see what they say; you can most likely find out what your state's rules/laws are, by simply going online...

Good luck with your sale, and CASH ONLY!
06/01/18-11/10/18 Camped 43 days!
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #27
Erinn

Regarding accepting a certified check - DON'T! Read this:

https://www.sapling.com/5873424/veri...ied-check-fake
Old 05-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #28

In CA the plate stays ON the vehicle.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #29
Just as confused as you

Cash only.

Bill of Sale with RV's make, model, model #, and VIN #. Just like an application for certificate of registration and title
example:
Forest River; Flagstaff Classic Super Lite; 832IKBS; VIN:XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Date of Sale
Buyers name, address, buyers signature, ( both printed and written)
Sellers name, address, sellers signature, ( both printed and written)
Notarized by a licensed Notary Public

Buyer and Seller signatures with date of sale on the title in the presence of Notary Public

Do not give buyer your plates. If the buyers state requires plates to stay with the rv is not the sellers concern unless both parties are from the same state.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #30

Either go online, or to your local DMV office and get it in writing what you are expected to do. And I agree CASH only! You might also want to do research the state the buyer is from. In CA you do not keep plates, and you are not allowed to drive any vehicle with out plates, what a dilemma! I was planning on buying my Motor Home out of state and drive it home. Prices are a lot lower, out of CA, until I did my research ( I live in CA) There are so many restrictions in this state, I gave up that idea!!! Biggest issue is how the MH is built, CA smog compliant, is required when CA resident buys out of state vehicles! Not to mention License plate issues!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #31

I'm not sure about a TT, although I don't see why not, but for a motorhome there's another item to be considered. Notify the manufacturer who the vehicle has been sold to along with their address so recalls can be dealt with!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #32
Erinn

In OR we're supposed to remove the plates.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
In OR we're supposed to remove the plates.
I don't think so.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #34

when selling and RV, you simple collect the money and give them a 'bill of sale', and the signed title....
they, themselves, are responsible for anything 'they' are required in order to drive or transport it back to their 'state'... that's not your responsibility. You don't give them 'your' tag. You don't give them 'your' anything, other than what they are buying: the RV.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
In CA the plate stays ON the vehicle.

The OP is from MA
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #36

in any state which still requires the plate the 'stay' with the vehicle is ONLY referring to when the vehicle is sold to another RESIDENT of the same state - otherwise the state could care less - it's going somewhere else!
Old 05-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #37

Consider this, you have not seen the item you are purchasing, but you will have a bank draft for the seller, payment in full? What if it doesn't meet expectations-and that happens often.

Yes, there can be problems with money orders, bank drafts etc. It could take a week or two for a check to bounce. However, the issuing bank can verify the funds. If you choose this route, verify the phone number is actually the bank phone number. Never give a buyer cash back because they have negotiated a lower price. That smells scam.

Cash is king. If they can get a a bank type draft, they can get cash. Do not sign off a title without cash in hand. It is difficult enough to go after someone in-state. Out-of- state is extremely difficult.

There is one other way and that is to do a bank-to-bank money transfer. The buyers accompany you to the bank. The bank rep knows how to complete this type of transaction.

You do not leave your plates because the title has been signed off. It would be improper use of registration. With a bill of sale, the buyers can lawfully transport the TT generally for 24 DMV business hrs. Weekends and holidays are not included in the 24 hrs.

We use a receipt similar to this-keep a duplicate copy for your records:

Date:

Received of____(Buyer's names)___, the amount of $ 1,000 (One thousand dollars) as payment in full for one (trailer description) Vin number ________. The above described travel trailer is being sold as-is, where-is with no warranties.

Signed:

Sellers________________________Date_______________

Buyers_______________________ Date_______________
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #38

T/T Sale

Have the purchaser prearrange an electronic transfer of the agreed price directly to your checking account. When you finalize the sale he can pull the trigger for the transfer. The $$$$$$$ usually arrives in seconds and your bank will notify you when. Some people are reluctant to carry large amounts of cash but I would not accept a check unless the buyer is willing to wait till it clears.
Tow Haul 3.55 rear
Hingham, Mass.
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORKLIFMAN View Post
Either go online, or to your local DMV office and get it in writing what you are expected to do. And I agree CASH only! You might also want to do research the state the buyer is from. In CA you do not keep plates, and you are not allowed to drive any vehicle with out plates, what a dilemma! I was planning on buying my Motor Home out of state and drive it home. Prices are a lot lower, out of CA, until I did my research ( I live in CA) There are so many restrictions in this state, I gave up that idea!!! Biggest issue is how the MH is built, CA smog compliant, is required when CA resident buys out of state vehicles! Not to mention License plate issues!
Isn't there a 7500 mile law for a California resident to purchase an out of state vehicle? In other words, California residents are not allowed to purchase a new vehicle out of state and bring it back to California..unless it has more than 7500 miles.
Yes, Ca requires plates but I see many vehicles without plates in the SF Bay Area.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #40

some years ago I sold a nearly new vehicle on Ebay, when ebay was then simply a way to advertise over the internet, with no fee or no payment 'method'...

the buyer was 6 states away, over 800 miles from GA to OK

they wanted the vehicle, and even agreed to pay me $1 per mile to drive it out to them...

now, there's a risk for me to do that. What if they don't show up? What if they are just really 'tire kickers'... it's a risk too much for most, and I smartly decided to make 'sure' this was legitimate.
I requested that the buyer provide me the details of their loan to purchase the vehicle, the bank the were receiving the funds from, the banker/loan officer's name, and the phone number.
I called the bank and had them send me a copy of the check, made out to me, so that I would have proof of it before I left my home. The bank also agreed, of course, to act as the 'escrow' agent/notary, and 'watch' the transaction take place, actually right in their parking lot.

The buyer was also taking a risk. The vehicle could have been less than what they imagined, or damaged while in transport, etc.

The sale went just fine. The vehicle was just as advertised, and the test drive went fine. The bank ITSELF handed me over the certified bank check, and I handed over a bill of sale, and my title.
I then removed my license plate from GA and brought it home with me.

And, while cash is king, sometimes that 'much' cash can be a little unnerving and maybe unsafe to be carrying long distances. If they are bringing cash and you are doing the deal within the same city where you bank, then do the deal in the lobby of the bank - your bank will be quite happy that you are bringing them such a big deposit!