Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #21

Many of these replies nailed what we did. Bought the bunkhouse model for the Grandkids. They haven't traveled with us yet but we have camped with them and our daughter/SIL with their TT. The grandkids often slept with us then, otherwise the bunks are big storage shelves taking up space.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:26 PM   #22

It is difficult to get it right the first time ... I have heard buy your 3rd RV first ... easy to say hard to do ... as many have already said buy it for you and your needs ... and remember it is only $$ and you can always make more best of luck .... in my business if I thought I needed a 18 ft trailer I bought a 24 ft
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:47 PM   #23

We learned a lot from suffering from 3-footitis while owning sailboats. We never did get it right. It took us well over 2 years of searching and looking and then searching and looking more. We’re pretty dang happy with our first travel trailer purchase. We didn’t compromise on anything. Lessons learned.
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #24

The hard part for any RV purchase, especially your first is to know what you want. Well, how the heck is someone suppose to know their wants and needs if they're just starting out?

When my DW and I bought our first RV in 2006 we knew nothing about them. As I mentioned in a prior post, our experience was a small RV show in Buffalo, NY, and, talking to some family that had rented a class C from CruiseAmerica. Besides amenities like how many slides, interior furnishings, water heater gas/electric, A/C units and so on, what was even more of a cloud was the technical aspects of the rig. What the heck is the difference between 19.5 inch tires or 22.5, or, 18K pound chassis', 22K #, 24# or 26#? I at least knew the difference to a degree of gas vs. diesel. Hydraulic leveling jacks, knew nothing, especially electric vs. hydraulic. What are good brands, HWH, vs. lessor like Lippert. Same with slide out systems, electric, or hydraulic, Schwintek anyone? What in the world is a transfer switch, all I knew in my Allegro was I pushed the generator button and the genset started and the coffee perked. On my GT at our first overnight at a rest stop we had no coffee in the morning because I didn't realize that rig didn't have an "auto" transfer switch.

Now, almost 14 years into this, we are still learning since we moved up to a diesel rig last May. New systems like a 2000 watt inverter, and what can we run from it, a residential fridge (love it), 4 golf cart 6V batteries and what are they capable of, 6000 watt diesel generator that likes t run all day, and of course driving, fueling and maintaining a Cummins Diesel and Freightliner chassis instead of Ford.

Through out our RV experience my DW and I have read, talked to, noticed, internet searched and did everything in our time allowance to find out about what we thought would work best for us. However, what our experience has taught us is nothing beats good old hands on experience to be able to define our camping adventures needs. Anyone looking to make their first move on any type of RV purchase, small or big, don't spend years looking for that perfect rig right out of the box. Chances are you may never find it, but, once you have experience with "Something", now you'll know what you're looking for.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:47 AM   #25

Don’t upgrade yet. Pay off your current trailer, continue to camp with your kids as long as they will go, and enjoy your life. I don’t know how much time you have until you retire, but save that retirement RV until then. A lot can change between now and then. Have patience, pay off your house, save money for that future RV, etc.

We did tent camping when our kids were young and it rained every time we went. We got a pop-up we used for seven or eight years, until it was no longer useable. We bought a 2015 TT that we are using until we move up to a class A in a year or so. During the past few years we have debated fifth wheels and Class A’s as we approach retirement in three years. We have debated full timing or not. Selling our current house and downsizing or not. Anything can still change. If something happened to my husband I still would want to travel, but I’d do it in a camper van or Class B/C.

Future RV’s will have new features you might find are important to you and if you buy now, I predict you will end up with another new one later. That is a lot of money to loose through depreciation. Just sharing 61 years worth of wisdom.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #26

Yes go BIGGER
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New 5th Wheel.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	222204  

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:30 PM   #27
Trailer Park Supervisor

I always find those giant rigs amusing, because unless you are living out of it, or have a big family, you could probably stay at 5 star hotels every vacation for the rest of your life, and maybe even hire a driver, for less than the cost of that. "But you can't camp in a hotel room". True, but hauling around a 40' or better home is not 'camping', lol. My Boyscout nephew already sneers at my 20' trailer and says, "That's not camping!"

**Getting ready to duck as the tractor trailer drivers here get ready to hurl stuff my way! lol
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:42 PM   #28
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Or the bunkhouse model bought for that "extra" sleeping capacity used as a laundry room and storage of the smoker.

X2 for sure

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:53 PM   #29

[... "But you can't camp in a hotel room". True, but hauling around a 40' or better home is not 'camping', lol.]

After decades of living out of hotels for work, I’m done with that - plus we don’t ‘camp’, we glamp. I value having/using my own stuff when away.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:45 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
[... "But you can't camp in a hotel room". True, but hauling around a 40' or better home is not 'camping', After decades of living out of hotels for work, I’m done with that - plus we don’t ‘camp’, we glamp. I value having/using my own stuff when away.
Yes well said ... We just finished our fist year of camping and I have to say the level of comfort is amazing ... I would guess many would say real camping involves tents and sleeping on the ground .... well not me ... while we spend most of our time outside in the shade and hiking and sitting by the fire when we go in for the night the a/c is on and the tv is streaming ... as far as large campers we do a lot of state parks and will always limit camper length to 35' that gets us in everywhere and easy to handle ... Happy Camping oh yes go bigger just no to big
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #31

Toy haulers sometimes have bunks in the back which also have areas to put bikes or atv some even have a second b/r. Might b worth looking into. Then when or if they lose interest in RVing get a fifth wheel RV they are sooo much easier to pull & hook up. Just my opinion. Have fun. Listen to Trace Adkins Your gonna miss this and it is so true.
Kennypatrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #32

I know your struggles. Was in your position a few years back. There are plenty on TT that will accommodate your needs. My suggestion is do your research online and get out to your local dealerships to see what is out there that will fit your needs. Also when looking try to see yourself growing or downsizing with the TT's you like. As you know it can get pretty expensive to trade in a TT every couple of years. The wife and I actually went with a little larger TT a Flagstaff 25FBLS. It has a spacious living area, a small loveseat that folds out into a bed for the occasional couple guests. A large bathroom which the wife loves and private master bedroom with a sliding door and small wardrob slide which is great because we both dislike those side of the bed closets, make you feel like your sleeping in a box. All of that is under 27' long and under 7000lbs loaded. Good luck in your TT trailer shopping.
Joe M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
[... "But you can't camp in a hotel room". True, but hauling around a 40' or better home is not 'camping', lol.]

After decades of living out of hotels for work, I’m done with that - plus we don’t ‘camp’, we glamp. I value having/using my own stuff when away.
This.

We recently bought our trailer, after I finally was able to convince my wife that since I spend 40-45 weeks per year flying to somewhere, staying in a hotel, and eating in restaurants - taking 2 weeks off of work so that we can fly somewhere, stay in a hotel, and eat in restaurants... well, that just doesn't feel like a vacation to me...

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #34

we started out with a tent many years ago, and actually my wife and i spent our honeymoon in at tent at the strugis motorcycle rally (she was a tropper for that one)
we then went to a van camper, and inclosed trailer camper and then to our first fifth wheel
After sitting for a week in the cold and rain in a small unit we the deceided that we want to be comfortable camping, and we our now on our forth fifth wheel.
so now we enjoy the comforts that we have, and we have worked hard to afford thoses comforts

it all depends what you want out of life

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #35
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I finally was able to convince my wife that since I spend 40-45 weeks per year flying to somewhere, staying in a hotel, and eating in restaurants -
That 'grass is always greener' thing is so true! I always was jealous of guys like you, traveling around, eating out, staying in hotels....That was always like a treat for us. I rarely had to travel for work. So flights; once every few years. I'm OK with that. Hotels; Only on vacations sometimes, that's fun for me, but I'm not a big fan of checking in and out of hotels every night, like on a road trip. And now with all the bed bug issues...yech... Eating out; We eat out maybe once a month because it's so expensive. Always a treat!

As muddyrode just said, it's all about what you want out of life. And I have decided what I want out of life is muddyrode's bank account!!! lol. On his 4th 5'er after 2 other campers! I don't think I've bought sets of underwear that often!
Old 01-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That 'grass is always greener' thing is so true! I always was jealous of guys like you, traveling around, eating out, staying in hotels....That was always like a treat for us. I rarely had to travel for work. So flights; once every few years. I'm OK with that. Hotels; Only on vacations sometimes, that's fun for me, but I'm not a big fan of checking in and out of hotels every night, like on a road trip. And now with all the bed bug issues...yech... Eating out; We eat out maybe once a month because it's so expensive. Always a treat!

As muddyrode just said, it's all about what you want out of life. And I have decided what I want out of life is muddyrode's bank account!!! lol. On his 4th 5'er after 2 other campers! I don't think I've bought sets of underwear that often!
It's definitely a "be careful what you wish for" kind of thing. I love what I do, and the travel is a necessary evil in order to do it. I've been on over 650 flights in the last 4 years - it's really not that much different than taking the bus anymore. I average 150-175 hotel nights per year, and they have all started to look the same. I often forget which floor I am on, or have to go to the front desk and ask for my room number before I can go back to my room. One time, I walked out of a restaurant after a somewhat late lunch and stood in the parking lot for probably a full minute thinking "CRAP!!! My rental car got stolen while I was inside!!!" And then realizing that I was standing right next to my rental car - and it was the only car in the lot!

I do enjoy the fact that my employer lets me keep my frequent flyer miles and hotel & rental car bonuses. I usually give them away. I used Hilton points to gift my daughter a week at a resort in Hawaii for her honeymoon a couple of years ago. Last fall I took the wife to Hawaii for 4 days - first class flights all the way, ocean view room at a resort, and a rental car... and my out of pocket was $51 + gas for the car! This week, my wife is in South Carolina, visiting a friend that she hasn't seen in 20+ years. Plane ticket was free...

But now camping in the trailer will be our vacation priority & be something that we can do together that doesn't also feel like going to work for me.

2003 F150 Supercab 4x4, tow pkg, 3.55 gears
2020 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS
Qwkynuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #37
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
I've been on over 650 flights in the last 4 years
Wow! At this point, you should just get your pilot's license! Simplify the whole process!
Old 01-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #38

Cant remember where I heard this but someone once said "Buy your third camper first" and we did.

I understand you couldn't get a bigger one right away cause your TV was not big enough. But now you can and I would.
You will learn as time goes on that you will need the room and enjoy camping more.

With that said, friends of ours didn't listen to my advice and they are on there second camper within a year cause the first one wasn't big enough and they were not happy.
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #39

Buy something the same size without the bunks. You'll be amazed how much more room you have. My wife's parents have a 2608BS. While only a couple feet longer, the added storage, and open living room area make it feel a lot bigger than our 2509.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:10 AM   #40

Personally I’d try to keep,what you have for now. Like what was stated earlier newer models will have improvements but will also cost more.
Don’t rule out something like the Freedom Express 248rbs. We went for it because of the standard queen, loveseat, and decent sized bathroom; all for our comfort. It has a large dinette which can be converted to a full bed easily for when you daughter (and friend) go with you. For me the best feature is that we have access to everything it the television when the slide is in. GREAT for poddy breaks and lunch on the road without opening the slide. This rig appears to be similarly priced as the one you are considering.
simiHal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, upgrade