Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #1

State Farm Insurance

Just went over our insurance plan with our agent. State Farm charges a higher rate for a RV with a PVC roof than a RV with a rubber roof. RV techs that I have visited with about which type is better, seem to think the PVC is more durable and less likely to snag, tear, bubble and peel off, and just as good in hail as the rubber.

Our agent is filing an appeal with people higher up than he is to see if they might rethink this issue.

If anybody has a PVC and State Farm, contact your agent and check this out, and maybe your agent can help push this a little further up the ladder.

Not a lot of money involved in this, but anything helps and just the idea of the whole thing.

Guess it is snowy and cold here in Kansas and I might as well stir things a little.
Cedar Creek Sams President

RVing is a tough job,BUT someone has to do it!
Wildwood Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #2

that is interesting we (the masonic lodge) recently had a PVC membrane roof installed on our building and according to the insurance company that is the best long lasting material to use. Might not be so on a motorhome however I don't see the difference.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #3

One roof is plastic, European technology.

One roof is rubber, American technology.

Both are good. Both require skilled persons to install these roofs.

Thickness of material matters.

I was surprised how little our rv insurance was. $100 a year? One of the top companies.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
Site Team

I have SF insurance and they never asked me what type of roof my trailer has.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I have SF insurance and they never asked me what type of roof my trailer has.
Same here. Maybe they sent someone to stealth up my ladder at night to put eyes on it.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Same here. Maybe they sent someone to stealth up my ladder at night to put eyes on it.
I'm sure insurance companies have all the specs available to them, which includes what type of material the roof is made of.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:18 PM   #7

I guess my question with RV insurance is who's got the best rates? We have esurance (part of Allstate) for vehicle insurance currently. Will probably ask them first, but it'd be nice to know if I'm getting ripped off.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
I'm sure insurance companies have all the specs available to them, which includes what type of material the roof is made of.
Well, I thought from reading this forum that no two units are built the same; I thought none were built to ANY spec!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Well, I thought from reading this forum that no two units are built the same; I thought none were built to ANY spec!

I'm hoping ours has some actual right angles and parallel things.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #10
Out of Order

Just switched to State Farm

When we bought our trailer 4 years ago we got the Good Sam/National General insurance recommended by the dealer, with the thought we'd drop or switch if we found a better deal down the road. Like sheep, we simply had the $$ taken from our account yearly, never exploring trailer insurance pricing.

Last month when the premium came due, I noticed a substantial increase and called them. I was told the cost of doing business in CA had risen and the rates reflected that...to the tune of more than $100 a year.

Called my State Farm agent, who is also a friend and has all my toys/vehicles insured, and found the State Farm rate was less than a third of Good Sam/National General for (as far as we can tell) the same coverage. I should probably shop some more but the instant savings has me pacified for the moment!

He took all the trailer info including the VIN but I wasn't specifically asked about the roof.
todtc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #11

as an agent, for many independent carriers, I've never run across any type of question of what 'type' of roof an rv has, or for that matter, much of any type of questions about anything to do with the 'build' or 'components' of the RV.
But, I'll also say that no, insurers don't know much about the specifics of each and every RV built, it's almost impossible to - most of us owners don't even know what we have, ourselves. I've also never run into any 'inspector' of RVs, like there is for homes. RVs are mobile, and therefore, by nature, may never be at any given place at any given time - we wouldn't necessarily want our insurer to know that anyway, I don't think.

Most insurers have a general idea about how 'big' or how 'long' or the basic MSRP of most RVs, as they are probably available from many different areas, if not the manufacturers themselves, but asking a lot of 'specifics' about most any RV is not common.

I just renewed my own motorcoach insurance. Safeco didn't ask much of anything other than the Year/Make/Model, etc. Foremost, as a comparison, also didn't ask much more or any specifics, nor what 'type' of roof I have.

Maybe SF is taking so proactive steps if they've found out some 'secrets' about roof types on RVs... who knows. They can certainly ask what they want.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:44 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I guess my question with RV insurance is who's got the best rates? We have esurance (part of Allstate) for vehicle insurance currently. Will probably ask them first, but it'd be nice to know if I'm getting ripped off.
You simply have to inquire with each one and find out. There are way too many factors to come up with any sort of consensus answer from everyone.

It's like trying to come up with the answer to the question: Who makes the best pizza in Chicago? Ask 50 different people and you'll get 50 different answers.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
You simply have to inquire with each one and find out. There are way too many factors to come up with any sort of consensus answer from everyone.

It's like trying to come up with the answer to the question: Who makes the best pizza in Chicago? Ask 50 different people and you'll get 50 different answers.

I'd probably start a fight if I gave my opinion of Chicago pizza.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #14

When you give them, insurance company, your VIN they will know lots about your RV.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance