Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2021, 11:27 PM   #1

The Cost of Stuff for RVing

About a week to go before taking possession and already blew a grand or so of stuff for the essentials for it; I consider this the minimum before even going there. Have about another grand or so of more stuff to probably get me on that first trip without the consumables. And I say there's easily at least another grand or two to go before I think there may be more stuff that I think I might need.

Does this sound about right?

I'm probably duplicating some stuff since I don't want to haul stuff to/from home and keep it in the travel trailer pretty much full time. I have tent camping stuff I'll leave there but not everything would be appropriate for glamping. I'm also looking at a minimalist approach to things and will add stuff if I really see a need for it.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:35 AM   #2

3-4 grand worth of glamping stuff seems like a bit much. Yes, there are absolute essentials that you’ll need, but the last thing you want to do is buy a bunch of crap that you haul around and never use. That being said, everyone has their own priorities and camping style, so maybe this is the right number for you.
Old 05-10-2021, 07:01 AM   #3
Member: Old Man Club

Wow! I really can't see it. Three or four hundred bucks maybe, but three or four thousand?! I can't imagine hauling all that extra stuff. Everybody has their own ideas on what camping is, I rekon. Good luck to you.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
I'm also looking at a minimalist approach to things and will add stuff if I really see a need for it.
You start off saying you'll be spending multiple thousands $$$ on stuff then end your post with this quote above.

I suggest that there is always a Walmart close by that you can buy most stuff at and an Amazon that is usually only 2 days to get stuff you can't find at Walmart.

Good luck with your new adventure...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:34 AM   #5

Agree with the other posts, maybe a couple hundred for essential hoses, tire chocks, etc. A majority of the stuff can come from your house until you figure out what you actually need.
I always advise everyone to buy minimally until you actually go RVing a time or two and know what you need.
My step Mom didn't take my advise and went to CW and bought everything they had, about $4k worth. They never used 1/10 of it and ended up giving most of it away when they sold their RV.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #6

I think it might be helpful to hear what you've purchased already, and what else you might be needing in the future, but it does seem high to me right now. I did some basic math and can come to about $1500 to get setup from nothing but it I'm running out of things I think you'd need for nightly camping in a powered site.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 TRX4 Cummins
Seasonal at Saskatchewan Landing Provincial Park
camaro80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
I'm probably duplicating some stuff since I don't want to haul stuff to/from home and keep it in the travel trailer pretty much full time.
I've found this is the best approach as it is less aggravating than forgetting to bring something...or forgetting to bring it back home. I would guess we have spent around $1,500 on non-RV specific "stuff", mostly kitchen, to equip our trailer. In some cases we bought new "stuff" for the house and took the used item to the trailer. Since we usually upgraded for the house that ran the cost up.
2020 Ford Expedition Platinum 4X4
3.5L EcoBoost 400HP with 480 lb.-ft. of Torque
9,200# Heavy Duty Tow Package with 1,524# Payload
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:13 AM   #8

In 2010 I retired and bought a nice big popup and headed out on my dream trip. Loaded out with stuff from the house and some extras from Walmart. After the first nigh on the road we pulled into another Walmart for more mattress foam and other oddities.
In 2012 I upgraded to a 18ft TT and moved everything over plus my new bride added a lot more stuff but less than $200. Headed out for a shakedown cruise and yep, another trip to the store.
In 2016 we were going to go to Alaska. So another new trailer, a 5th wheel, and a shakedown cruise and just a little bit more stuff as we had a lot more storage space.
She passed away so it was me and my dog and we were happy with what we had.
Eeyup, picked up another Lady and she started playing house with a few more items added. Now we have a pretty well equipped wagon and have actually been able to live in for extended periods.
Still have the original cookware and cutlery from the popup but more bedding, pillows, towels and bathroom supplies.
It's been a fun but crazy journey.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #9

I will add my bit of advice here, based on my parents having multiple different campers throughout my childhood, and then my wife and myself going from tent, to pop-up, to our current trailer.

We purchased the minimum needed to make it convenient, and then brought things with us as needed / wanted. When we ended up bringing things multiple times, and/or only using them when camping, and not much at the house, we just left them in the camper. For some items, we found that we were constantly moving them from the house to the camper, so we purchased new. BUT, the new went in the house, and the used, went in the camper. We're not buying new items like a stir crazy popcorn machine, electric skillet, toaster, etc. to put in a camper we'll use 10 times a year.

There is a lot of good advice in the post above thus far. I'd say do what was advised, and maybe list what you have purchased already, and/or go camping, and see what you actually need before you buy more.
GXPWeasel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #10
D W

Quote:
About a week to go before taking possession and already blew a grand or so of stuff for the essentials for it; I consider this the minimum before even going there. Have about another grand or so of more stuff to probably get me on that first trip without the consumables. And I say there's easily at least another grand or two to go before I think there may be more stuff that I think I might need.

I'm probably duplicating some stuff since I don't want to haul stuff to/from home and keep it in the travel trailer pretty much full time. I have tent camping stuff I'll leave there but not everything would be appropriate for glamping. I'm also looking at a minimalist approach to things and will add stuff if I really see a need for it.

My goodness, what are you buying with all these "grands"?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 09:43 AM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Over 5 thousand. That's what I've spend so far on 'RV' stuff. I started a list of stuff and the amount of each. Added it up. Wife must never know! A lot of that was big ticket items right off the bat like a pair of golf cart batteries, the WDH, a pair of inverter generators, EMS, a 2nd solar panel and cables.

Then came RV cover, tire covers...observation cam, TPMS.. then a whole slew of stuff between 15 and 50 buck....starts adding up fast! Oh, this is on a new trailer I got for 17.6k.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

It would probably be better to list things I bought that I really DIDN'T need.

Solar suitcase with cables/wall plug adaptor(haven't used it in 3 years) $270
Champion inverter generators (about $1000)
Coleman Gemini (insert 2 one lb tanks, outputs like a large propane tank) $32
Eva-Dry desiccant dehumidifiers (worthless crap) $41
25 Amp CTEK smart charger/rubber bumper $242 (didn't realize how well converter works)
Old 05-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #13

RV-ing today is not cheap if you consider everything that you buy so you can get away for a while! But to me and my wife we want to sleep in our own bed and use our own bathroom. Plus, we get to cook and eat our own food the way we like the food to be prepared.

So, if you look at the entire package, my cost was well over $120,000 to enjoy this experience of RV-ing. This included the cost of the trailer, a Cedar Creek, a Dodge Mega Cab Diesel truck, a hitch to tow the trailer, satellite TV and receiver, water hoses and fitting, sewer hoses and fittings, towels and bedding that stay in the trailer, cooking gear, dishware, outside chairs, outside mat, cooking table for outside, grill, patio sunscreen, tools and electrical accessories as needed.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:26 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
RV-ing today is not cheap if you consider everything that you buy so you can get away for a while! But to me and my wife we want to sleep in our own bed and use our own bathroom. Plus, we get to cook and eat our own food the way we like the food to be prepared.

Ok, I feel better about spending 5k on stuff now! Agree with Jim, but you don't need to buy a tractor trailer sized rig to do it!

Trailer - about 19k, tax, title, reg, everything.
Tow Veh (used, 3 yrs old, 40k miles) - 30k
'Stuff' 5k

So for 54k you can live the good life like Jim, but with a little less indoor space! Oh! I don't have satellite TV. I have grown to despise TV.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:57 AM   #15

just tallied up the additions (not counting the truck or the trailer we bought.) and i am currently at $882 for hoses, adapters, cords, fifth wheel hitch and mounting rails (installed myself) and a bunch of odds and ends and a screen porch so far... we are going on our first trip this week, so we shall see what we add to that after the initial....LOL
Bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #16
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
It depends. If you choose to spend your disposable income on "RV Stuff" or have other priorities. I have a friend that just spent $500 on a compressor for his new 5er because his tires required over 130PSI. His lithium batteries were over $1,000 apiece and now his AutoStart on his generator won't work because his voltage never gets below 11.5 volts. When I lived on my boat, I used to say--"I spent all my money on women, wine and boats, and the rest I just wasted!" My guess is most people won't judge you for how you spend your money.
2018 F-150 4X4 Max tow EcoBoost 3.5
2020 Tesla Model Y
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #17

After purchasing our first trailer we bought nothing. Almost. Went on short local 3 day trips. After 6 months. We spent $3000. Including tires, tpms, rear view camera, mattress, surge protector and more. So not hard to do. Now on second trailer. We only needed tires.

Have fun!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:57 PM   #18
Always Learning

NEEDs are very few, SHOULD HAVEs a little longer, and WANTs are never ending! Watch out for “must have” lists with 30+ things on them. Some are good, some you’ll never use. Start small and go use it a few times before going overboard buying all the things.

See if this list helps get you started:

https://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/
Old 05-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #19
Happycamper

I am afraid to add it up over the years, but I do have boxes of stuff I thought I absolutely had to have and then never used or used once. As others have said, wait until you have need of it multiple times and then go buy. You are really never to far from a store to get what is needed.
fkovach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #20

Quote:

Just advice... like packing a suitcase, pack what you think you need then remove 1/2 of it.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote