Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #41

I have had five campers in ten years. I’m still looking but DW says this one is it
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #42
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I skipped over a lot of the posts...but here is one suggestion:

Keep the trailer you have and remove the bunks!

Make it a small office, or a second TV room, or a craft room, or...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #43

My wife and I just traded in our bunkhouse travel trailer (2 bedroom, bath and a half that slept 10) and it was the best decision we've ever made! We bought it 2 yrs ago to accommodate our adult kids & friends so they'd have their own space and bathroom. However, they didn't come often enough to justify us missing out on wonderful views of the lake, etc. So, we returned to the dealership, got an amazing trade in, bought an open floor plan, rear living and absolutely LOVE it! Our motto is, if it's not making your heart happy say goodbye! Life's too short not to love what you own!
66Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBob View Post
One thing we have learned over the years is to NEVER buy to please friends or family. Buy what is best for YOU. Family and friends can sleep in tents or their own rigs IF and when they camp with you. We always over estimated how often we'd have additional guests in the trailer.
X2 well said been down that road
mshenygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #45

Watch out if are thinking of buying a new forest river Rv because they just rewrote the factory warranty to prohibit using an Rv more than 30 days in a row or more than 18 days over the course of two consecutive months, or your warranty becomes void. Applicable for 2018 model year. Nobody has said that in their warranty before. It’s their new definition of “full time” use and it makes using a hotel or buying some other brand look better and better
RvRonDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #46
Coachman 312BHDS

Maybe we should down size? - both kids and their families tend to join us a lot after we upgraded to the 376 from a Coachmen. :-) Actually, we love to have them for about a third of our trips each season.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:03 PM   #47

We have a Flagstaff MicroLite 19FBS. It has no dinette, but a sofa in the slideout. We tow it with a 2017 Toyota Highlander. Trailer is listed as about 3400 lbs unloaded.

It is often referred to as a Couples Camper. Small, yet roomy. Check it out.
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvRonDayton View Post
Watch out if are thinking of buying a new forest river Rv because they just rewrote the factory warranty to prohibit using an Rv more than 30 days in a row or more than 18 days over the course of two consecutive months, or your warranty becomes void. Applicable for 2018 model year. Nobody has said that in their warranty before. It’s their new definition of “full time” use and it makes using a hotel or buying some other brand look better and better
Can you provide a link to this?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #49
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightlinespeed View Post
We are are in our late 30's thinking of downsizing from our Grey Wolf 22MSKE TT only after 1 year of ownership. We bought it with the thought of our teenage daughter camping with us (which she has, but will soon be off doing her own thing). As well as having others join us. We've only had 1 other time guest's have joined us.

While camping this past week, and sitting inside playing cards during a rain storm, we started thinking about all of the wasted space the double bunks are. Which got us talking about trailer weights, and layouts. What we did and didnt like.

We came home from our trip and started visiting all of the local RV dealer websites. We started to realize that the layouts in pretty much any brand are almost all the same with any given trailer size.

We are torn, and not sure what to do, for multiple reasons. Our thoughts, of why we want to downsize.

-Lighter Trailer
-Less Wasted (unused space)
-Better fuel economy (typical is about 10mpg with my 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi).

We do not want any slide outs, to help save on the weight of the trailer, unless its lighter than our current trailer. Which according to FR is 4300lbs. So I estimate it around 4500lbs dry.

I've read over and over always buy the biggest your truck can pull, but that seems like such a waste to me. I seriously hate the gas mileage Im getting and I dread ever going on a long distance trip. Has anyone else ever been in this situation, where you actually downsized your trailer?
If you are worried about the gas mileage then camping is not your thing in the first place. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #50
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds a little ridiculous as campers are for camping in and what difference would it make how much time you spend in the camper. You get a year warranty and that would sure cut sales. Be like vehicle manufactures saying you can only drive your cars `10 days a month and then if more void warranty . Ya right. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:00 AM   #51

Downsizing??? Did that once. In the 80s we had bunks for the girls then just bought NORMAL as they made do anyway. We did downsize from a 32' TT to 26'. Wifey thought it was 'cute' with 1 long slide. Cute lasted 4 months and it was gone. Went to a 35' 5er and loved it until she saw the current 43' 5er with 4 slides. Maybe our last as I'm 70. Towing with an F350 diesel and getting 10.2 average at close to 14,000#. Only difference towing 43' over 19' (our 1st back in the mid-70s) is more tail swing.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM   #52

Thumbs up We downsized to a 21' A-Frame and 20 MPG

We downsized to a 21' A-Frame TT and we love it. It is VERY roomy inside with twin beds, a nice sized kitchen and a huge dinette. Since the A-Frame collapses to the same height as our Jeep, it slip-streams behind with virtually no drag, so we get 20 mpg average when we tow it. Since we usually stay in nice full-service campgrounds, we opted for the model without a permanent shower. We do have a pop-up shower we can use inside if we happen to need it. We have several gigantic storage areas and can take all our clothes for a month long trip and never have to do laundry on the road. Food storage in the kitchen holds enough food for several weeks. The huge storage trunk holds my golf clubs, fishing gear, hiking equipment and much more. If you're looking to downsize and want a very open roomy feeling in a smaller TT, the Flagstaff T21TBHW is a great choice.

Bob
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #53

Downsizing

I want the smallest trailer I can be comfortable in. Smaller trailers are easier to pull, easier to maneuver,, easier to park and you can buy gas with a small rig in places that you can’t with a big one. I’ve towed lots of trailers and the bigger they are, the more hassle they are. As for gas mileage, if you only go from 10 to 11, that’s 10 %. I don’t understand why you don’t want a slide out though. A slide out changes a small living space into a larger one. They’re essential for small trailers.
mharrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #54
Chris and Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Burlington Ont View Post
I am the wrong guy to comment.. We went from a Tent (as a couple), to a Pop-up, to a Hybrid and 35 ft 5th wheel (when we had kids and their friends).. Now we are preparing for retirement and my wife had us upgrade to a 42ft 5th wheel and a F350 Diesel Dually. She wants us to have more space so we don't bother each other
Had to laugh! We just upgraded from 21 feet to 25 feet with larger slide and a real bedroom door because we wanted separate spaces too! 48 years of bliss next month but we sometimes need to get away from each other.
Alabama Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Potter View Post
Had to laugh! We just upgraded from 21 feet to 25 feet with larger slide and a real bedroom door because we wanted separate spaces too! 48 years of bliss next month but we sometimes need to get away from each other.
48+ years here too. 43' and 4 slide outs makes long term easier. 2 bedroom can come in as a good thing at times
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #56

Quote:

Where did you see this at?
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:33 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiG View Post
We have a Flagstaff MicroLite 19FBS. It has no dinette, but a sofa in the slideout. We tow it with a 2017 Toyota Highlander. Trailer is listed as about 3400 lbs unloaded.

It is often referred to as a Couples Camper. Small, yet roomy. Check it out.
We have a Flagstaff MicroLite 19FD with the Murphy bed, we love it. Just straighten up the covers, fold it up, all in 30 seconds, 10 seconds to take it down for bed time. You can actually exit the bed from both sides. Plenty of room for the 2 of us. 3064 lbs and also tow it with a 2017 Highlander. Not for everyone but perfect for us. Are you satisfied with the way your Highlander tows your trailer?
flag19fd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #58

Don't own a TT... We downsized from a 35' Class A with no slides to a 32' Class A with two slides. Love the extra space for dogs on the floor in the LR and we no longer run into each other in the kitchen area. The RV dogs appreciate the king size bed in the shorter RV. ;-)
Old 07-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #59
Retired Coastie

Downsizing or not?

In my opinion, nobody should be buying a truck/trailer because of mpg! Get something that basically fits 2 with the possibility of sleeping 2 more "if need be." We bought a 25FBLS which is for "2." 4300 lbs dry weight. I pull it with a Tundra and I get anywhere from 8-11 mpg. Enjoy your trailer, don't worry about the gas mileage! Get something that has some storage (FBLS is GREAT in that category). We found that "most" that have exactly what we wanted was over 30'. I wasn't comfortable pulling something like that as a first time RV-er. Don't buy too much, I think you'll regret it. Mark
mcsebald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 PM   #60

I originally wanted a TT with no slide in the 17-20 foot range. I got “talked into” a 2504s with bunks a Murphy bed and a slide. 2+ years later I’m glad I listened to her. Yes the slide adds complexity, cost, and weight but it’s worth it. This is our first rv of any kind. A lot of the time the bunks are unused so we just use the area for storage. Based on my limited experience my advice to the OP would go one more season with what you have. You won’t lose much in value and you will have a better idea of what you want. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote