Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2016, 02:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
am i missing something, the person asked for a reply.
Yup, you missed something. This reply has foreign overtures and phrases. They want to see if the seller is dumb enough to reply. On one instance, I played the game, knowing it was a scammer. They really thought they had a fish. The deal was I got a check from Boston College, was to cash it, and send the "buyer" a portion of the money back via Western Union. The item would be picked up by the shipper. I told them no and they sent a check anyway. They then demanded payment or I would be arrested. I gave them the phone number for local law enforcement.

In this process,I called Boston College and asked them about the check giving them specifics. It was determined that yes, it was a Boston College check with a valid account number and signatore. The catch was, the account number was for a different bank than was on the check. The college was given the check and an investigation started. The buyer never had me arrested.

The way this scam operates is that the seller thinks they are getting rid of the item. The check takes several days to be denied. Meanwhile, the seller has sent the "buyer" money via Western Union that is negotiable. They don't get rid of the item, but they lose money in the process. Apparently it still works.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #22
Site Team

I've sold stuff on CL several times.
Last thing was the metal shelter I had over my trailer.
I upgraded trailers and needed a larger shelter.
Sold my old one on CL for my asking price in 2 days.

I had some stupid replies but it was still nearly hassle free for me.

My son sells cars thru CL all the time.
You have to be savvy and very careful but it still works for lots of people.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
This is classic wording of a scammer reply. We have done a good amount of selling on craigslist over an eight year period and we would not reply to this email. Rather we would flag the email, so that others don't get taken in.

When we post the ad, we state "Please call. if this ad is posted, the item is for sale. We may choose to respond to an email very specific to this ad." An email asking if it is still for sale is ignored or flagged, depending on the wording. We will never give directions for viewing without a phone call. The caller is then added to our phone directory with name and the item they are calling about. If it is a blocked number, forget it. Except for one very large item, buyers are not allowed in the house. Cash only. We set the rules.
I meet the buyer at a public location.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
Nothing I ever listed on C/L even got a response. I guess my listed price was too low to be believed.....
Ya that was it
Old 03-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I've sold stuff on CL several times.
Last thing was the metal shelter I had over my trailer.
I upgraded trailers and needed a larger shelter.
Sold my old one on CL for my asking price in 2 days.

I had some stupid replies but it was still nearly hassle free for me.

My son sells cars thru CL all the time.
You have to be savvy and very careful but it still works for lots of people.
I can believe this. I have been looking for a used shelter for a while with no luck on craigs list and I am just in Lexington.
whitmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
This is a text I reviewed about my hitch. I get these all the time.....

Hi, I'm interested in the the purchase, do get back to me if its still available on my email (katherineconforto@yahoo.com) with your willing price of the Hensley bd3 air ride fifth wheel hitch /slider 5th
iPhone

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Put 66 VW beetle on immediately got a call from a scam artist.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #27

Google Voice is a wonderful thing to use on Craigslist. I have a google voice number and you can have the calls ring your home and/or work and/or cell phone - or go straight to voice mail. Once you are done selling the item, just turn off the call forwarding. I also use the number when I have to give out a phone number and I know I never want to be contacted.

Last time I sold our truck on Craig's list I changed my Google voicemail to some thing like "if you are a reseller calling to sell my truck, please hang up. Otherwise, if you are a serious buyer, leave your name and a number and I will return your call ASAP. Weeded out a lot of folks and they never had access to my private cell or home phone.
dalspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #28

The scammers respond immediately, but I have sold many things thru CL. Expensive items, I meet at the police station or inside banks. I was selling a very expensive ring once and told the person to meet me in the bank. He showed up with a buddy and they seemed like a pair of Russian thugs. I turned down their low offer. When I left the bank, I was very nervous and paranoid, looking in my rear view mirror that I wasn't being followed. Last summer I posted a moving sale. Four men showed up unannounced in my driveway(semi-rural neighborhood) at 10:15 pm wanting to buy my ATV. I called the police before stepping outside. The police told me they were 20 minutes away. I told the men to leave( only one spoke any English), fortunately they did so w/o any problems. I have now stepped up my security and gated my driveway. Craigslist can be useful- just be very careful.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #29

And just wait till the the forum site team finds out you've been talking naughty Capt.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #30

No, As a female who lives alone it is quite unnerving.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
No, As a female who lives alone it is quite unnerving.
??
Old 03-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #32

The jewelry incident was in downtown Los Angeles, a haven for crime. At my mountain home, their are many marijuana crops hidden away in the mountains. They are serviced by the Mexican Mafia who use ATVs to reach these remote sites. There have been many raids by the DEA and USFS. You can't be too careful or naive that nothing will ever happen to you. Just be careful and trust your instincts in doingthese transactions if something doesn't seem quite right, is all I'm saying...
Old 03-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
am i missing something, the person asked for a reply.
That reply is definitely the beginning of a scam.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
And just wait till the the forum site team finds out you've been talking naughty Capt.
And we did. It's better for that language and inference to be used somewhere else. It's not going to fly here.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
And we did. It's better for that language and inference to be used somewhere else. It's not going to fly here.
If anyone was offended please accept my apologies. That was not my intention and it was not directed to anyone on these forums. I was simply trying to communicate my great disdain for these parasites that try to prey on people and the tactic I used to ward them off.

Again, my apologies.
Heli-Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Pretty vivid and pretty gross.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:59 PM   #37

I sold my Class A on CL and lots of furniture on Kijiji. It is pretty easy to determine the tire kickers and other idiots out there and these will not stop me from using these two sites. One thing I ask is phone # and name. I then do a reverse lookup to see if it is legit. I, as others do, create a new email address for whatever I sell and then delete it after the sale.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #38

Kenny-Custom

I advertised a car for sale I got back the same canned email with the same name asking the price and they would purchase the car for my asking price sight unseen. All I needed was a PayPal account and if I didn't have one I should open one. They said they wouldn't deal with with cash or checks only paypal. Checked into it and it is a scam. Got ano ther email with the words different name.Just take care when dealing with CL.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #39

Eye opening thread.

I've bought/sold many things on CL, never ever negotiated.
If the buyer tries I don't kill the deal just say "you're my first call on this, call me back in a few days".
I do my home work, know what a good price is AND post quality pictures.
If the sellers picture aren't any good I ask for more/better pictures or just move on.
I DO NOT put OBO in the add, DO NOT give # or email till a public meeting has been set!

Only 1 scam attempt, offer to pay 25% MORE for my motorcycle.

All others has been very enjoyable, for both of us .
Old 03-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #40

When selling anything, any kind of way (which I do a lot)........please note, I am not your bank.

If your check is good, that's great! That means that they will give you cash if you go down there and pull cash out. Go do that first, before paying me. I don't want to go there, and I fear being surprised when I do. Not my job. If you don't want to carry that amount of cash around, don't buy stuff at my price.

Just sold a X thousand dollar trailer, and the guy is bringing cash. Good for him, he volunteered, I didn't ask. That way I can deposit cash, and it will be credited to my account, bingo bango. Any other way, not so.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote