Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 03:11 AM   #81

Great advice and follows very closely the way I negotiate for anything that is a large purchase. My last trailer I negotiated very fair price and filled out the paperwork to order my new 2608ws. I then hit the dealer with my request that they throw in a new weight distribution hitch worth $700.00 before I would give them the down payment which I also cut in half from their normal requested amount. The salesman was back and forth with the dealership owner several times during the negotiating process and I got below my well researched price I wanted by many hundreds of dollars. Oh by the way a PDI should be free. They did their standard pdi and then I did mine without them for several hours both full hookups up and unhooked at the dealership. I wrote down all my findings which were few and then had them fix them before giving them any money. By the way my dealer has been great to work with.
ADKDAN
Old 04-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #82
Broken Toe

We just concluded our latest deal last night.

Sticker Price: $37,989
Out-the-door price: $31,773
Dealership visited: 3
Time frame: about a week.

So... What did we buy? I'll tell you tomorrow when we pick it up, but its not camper/camping related at all.

Had a deal pretty much made at dealer 2 but they did not have color we wanted. Dealer 3 is a good distance away, but they had one in the proper color and agreed (eventually) to meet dealer 2's price. All contact with dealer 3 up to that point was done via phone and email, which was a first for me.

Went to dealer 3 to view unit and get sales order paperwork done for Credit Union and despite agreeing to the price, salesman tried to drop a $199 "Administrative fee" on us. I refused. In the preceding hour, salesman had already told me about 5 times how they were "Loosing $2,000 on the deal". So when told me he had to charge us that because they were 'losing money on the deal", I reached the end of my tether.

I boiled over and told the guy (with profanity deleted for the sensibility of the forum) "I don't wanna hear one more ***** time about how much money you are losing on the deal. You aint losing ****, you just ain't making as much as you want. If you actually losing money, then you wouldn't make a deal, now would you?". I told him in no unclear terms that I was not paying that "admin fee" after we had already agreed to an "out-the-door" price. He quickly scurried away to "talk to the manager"

Manager came out to smooth things over and tried to explain that Dealer 2 would have included the fee in their price. I showed him that they already did, and he agreed to match their price. Either he was extremely stupid, or he thought I would just give up. He kept just saying, "But see, we have to charge that fee for paperwork". I had finally had enough and told Miss Kelly we were leaving and the Manager actually asked me (incredulously) "you are really going to walk away over $200?". I stared right at him and asked "Are you really gonna scrap a $32,000 deal over $200?"

He blinked first...

He backed off, told the salesman to waive the $199 fee and we were all friends again. The salesman was still a little rattled, as I don't think he has ever seen anyone go from friendly, to confrontational and back as quickly as I had just did (it's a gift). I did notice that when he tried to sell me the usual 'add-on' stuff, he didn't push the issue even a little after my refusal.

$200 don't sound like much, but Ill be damned if I give it to someone just for the hell of it.

Pictures tomorrow.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 04-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #83

I had a similar outcome a few years back. The manager finally came within $100 of my out the door price. When I refused, he stated "Come on, it is only 100 dollars." I said exactly, it's only 100 dollars. He looked right at the salesperson and said "F-it, sell it to them."

I have always believed in not letting yourself get in a situation where your desire to buy excedes their desire to sell. If you do, you lost your edge.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #84

Tim you know how you really scared him, it was that he did not think someone of your small petite size could get that Pissed Off and yes I typed that with a straight face!!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:55 PM   #85
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Tim you know how you really scared him, it was that he did not think someone of your small petite size could get that Pissed Off and yes I typed that with a straight face!!!!!
I never get p'ed off. I usually go to dukes by the time I'm 'mildly annoyed'. Lol

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 04-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I never get p'ed off. I usually go to dukes by the time I'm 'mildly annoyed'. Lol

Tim
Tim, You are larger than the average bear. I am laughing thinking about when the check your shorts moment happened when a man of your diminutive size gets loud.

As a child, I have lived through moments when my little old red headed mother would go toe to toe with a salesperson. I felt so embarrassed but now having grown up I realize that she was right on the mark.

Great story.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #87

Great to hear another customer success. Please let us know what you purchased. Our local dealer/salesman said to us "If you can get it for that price, order one for me,". We Drove 4 hours and "saved" 6K and it arrived with auto leveling.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #88
Broken Toe

What we bought, aka 'Miss Kelly's new ride':

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170412_182955.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	134573

I assume the smile means she likes it...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 05-02-2017, 01:03 PM   #89

Tim, this could of been written by my husband. He LOVES the thrill of a good barter ESPECIALLY with buying a car, as for our first travel trailer that we just got in February we got an awesome deal on a nearly new 2016 wildwood, I know they are at the bottom but the couple we bought it from, he was 82 (retired lawyer) he paid 25,000 and ordered 7,000 worth of upgrades , they used it once , his wife hated it and told him she wasn't camping anymore, lol, he kept it stored almost a year hoping she would change her mind but she wouldn't, she stocked it with everything and included it in the sale. Our budget buying used was 16,000 he was asking 17,000 , I thought for sure my husband wouldn't even blink for a thousand since it was already a steal but 16,000 was what came out of his mouth, lol, and that's what we paid. Probably chump
change to them as they lived in a nice gated community in Florida and spend summers in their house in Connecticut,
Old 05-07-2017, 11:45 PM   #90
mle

I'm so glad I checked here and found this post. Thank you for the write up!

I joined this forum for research purposes before we purchase a new camper and I just requested out the door prices on Friday. I completely enjoy the haggling in car sales, but RV sales is foreign to me as I have never done it before. I feel so much better after reading this that my knee jerk reaction of feeling offended at the price they threw at me first was justified or not.

Now it's time to put the poker hat on and get a camper.

Thank you!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #91

Truth from the other side

Well Tim, I can tell you this. Apparently you've been shopping at the wrong dealerships. I can tell you that the more of an a-hole you are, the worse the deal will be. You see Tim, you can dehumanize us salespeople all you want, but at the end of the day, we're human too. The nicer the customer, the more we want to help them. Now I will acknowledge there are some high pressure dealerships with salespeople like you describe, but with a little common sense, you would figure that out right away and leave and find a dealer that will treat you the right way. At my store we actually post our best price on every unit and post a real payment, so your tricks are worthless. I can also tell you that life is too short to deal with an a-hole customer. If a customer is treating me or one of my salespeople like you describe, we walk away and hope they leave. We find customers like you aren't worth the hassle because if you're an a-hole during the sales process, you're going to be an even bigger a-hole when it comes to service and you aren't worth the headache because there are a lot more nice people to work with. You see Tim, maybe you should try and find a dealership that cares and treats their customers the way they should be treated. You should find a dealership, RV or automobile, that offers a good product for a fair price and at the same time treats people right.

So, to everyone that reads Cow Racers guide to buying anything and thinks it works, please be aware of the cow pies he is slinging because it will get you nowhere at the right store.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #92
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4sparty View Post
Well Tim, I can tell you this. Apparently you've been shopping at the wrong dealerships. I can tell you that the more of an a-hole you are, the worse the deal will be. You see Tim, you can dehumanize us salespeople all you want, but at the end of the day, we're human too. The nicer the customer, the more we want to help them. Now I will acknowledge there are some high pressure dealerships with salespeople like you describe, but with a little common sense, you would figure that out right away and leave and find a dealer that will treat you the right way. At my store we actually post our best price on every unit and post a real payment, so your tricks are worthless. I can also tell you that life is too short to deal with an a-hole customer. If a customer is treating me or one of my salespeople like you describe, we walk away and hope they leave. We find customers like you aren't worth the hassle because if you're an a-hole during the sales process, you're going to be an even bigger a-hole when it comes to service and you aren't worth the headache because there are a lot more nice people to work with. You see Tim, maybe you should try and find a dealership that cares and treats their customers the way they should be treated. You should find a dealership, RV or automobile, that offers a good product for a fair price and at the same time treats people right.

So, to everyone that reads Cow Racers guide to buying anything and thinks it works, please be aware of the cow pies he is slinging because it will get you nowhere at the right store.

Your very first post on this forum and its about being you being butthurt over me giving advice on how not to overpay at a dealership? Hmmm. Interesting how you seem proud to point out that the price paid is variable to the customers attitude, as is your willingness to provide service...

Anyhow... You opinion is duly noted.

I can only assume that, as a salesman yourself, your opinion of the... ahem...'right' dealership is one where the customer overpays. In that case, I will gladly, gleefully and willingly do business with the 'wrong' dealerships. And I will tell you, sir. If being a patsy and spending too much is required to be "treated the right way" then maybe its not really "the right way" after all, now is it?

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Old 08-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #93

I see(or it seems that way) that salespeople take price advantage over nice people. I am not saying to be mean, but you have to stand up for yourself. If you don't use some firmness in your buying process and take "the best price" you will pay more....especially buying a stupid car.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 08-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #94

I might be reading your post wrong but it seems to me that if one of your customers tries to get a better deal that makes them an A-hole?

So please tell us the name of your dealership where your first price is the best price and all you care about is the customer getting the best possible deal.

I’m turning 72 next month and I’ve bought 5 RV’s and more new cars that I can remember and as far as I’m concerned Tim’s advice is spot on.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Old 08-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Some great points here. I will add that not having a trade in the mix makes the negotiating process much easier. They can try a whole slew of shell games with price when you involve a trade in the game. My thought is if you are attempting a trade, do not mention it until a bottom line price is reached on the new unit. Then mention the possibility of a trade to see what they are truly offering you for it. In most cases of course it pays to sell your unit privately but that's not for everyone.
This is why I negotiate the price, and then mention my trade in and we talk about how much they will give me for that.

If nothing else it makes things much easier for me to understand and keep track of.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
Old 08-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4sparty View Post

Pretty good guide I'd say.

Since when does negotiating a good price make someone an a-hole?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
Old 08-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

So please tell us the name of your dealership where your first price is the best price and all you care about is the customer getting the best possible deal.
Bob, that probably won't fly, as it could be taken as advertising, which is against our site guidelines.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork&page=rules

Commercial Parties (For-profit companies and Industry professionals): The forum does not discourage nor endorse any commercial entity and is not intended for soliciting business. Our purpose is sharing knowledge so others can benefit. Forest River Forums may, at it's discretion, grant vendor account status to industry professionals who are already members in good standing. Authorized commercial participants must adhere to all the forum policies including these specifically set out for commercial participants.

The site team is reviewing this thread currently, so please be civil to one another as we look into the matter.

We decided to close it while we review it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #98
Site Team

Well it looks like it's time to end this one.

Some pretty good point- counter point discussion here.
Also some personal name calling which is not nice at all.
It also seemed to veer away from RV buying at one point.

All in all it's time to close this show.
Thanks for all the opinions.

Happy Trails and remember keep it friendly and
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
Closed Thread