Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
IF you can contact the original owner and IF they are agreeable, have them apply for a duplicate title (because of lost original), then have them sell directly yo you, leaving presrnt owner out of the deal.
Good idea. IMHO, you would not be liable for taxes and penalties for the previous owner - the party that you bought it from - but it wouldn't surprise me that the state of Texas would go after him in some way, like suspending his drivers' license?

It might be a bit of a hassle trying to get the title in your name, but I'm sure there must be a way to do it. You CAN'T be the first person this has happened to. But you can't be held liable for the failing of the previous owner.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
Oklahoma Proud

You can always Title 42 it. This is commonly known as a mechanics lien type title. We do them on cars that customers have not paid for repairs, wreckers have impounded or in situations like yours. You can even charge storage, which at $20 a day will exceed the value of a vehicle eventually.
But I dont think you could have any loan work on it to do this, but im assuming you bank would never do the deal with title issues like this.
I see adds in papers and on CL for people to do the title 42 paper work and all for $100.
Just google title 42.

Ps. Im in Oklahoma. We could do it up here and then you could transfer down there.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #23
rip

Remember my post, back where I said I'm not an attorney, etc., hopefully you have a friend or a friend of a friend who is one, or maybe know a used car dealer that deals in Texas title transfers a lot. If it were me, I would talk with one of them to see what they say before I did something out of the ordinary.

You can tell I'm on the conservative side. I even declare the 'actual' sales price and pay the full sales taxes when I've applied for title transfers. I can hear all those "Oh, sure Ray, right!" but it's one of my character flaws.

You've heard lots of suggestions, all made with good intentions. Hope this goes well for you in the next 20 days so you can enjoy your 'new to you' trailer soon.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
Professional Texan

Go to the Texas DMV website and get their phone number. Give them a call and tell them your situation. They will tell you what needs to happen for you to get the title. They are very helpful. I called them more than once to get things right but I did get my title fixed.

By calling them you will end all speculation about what to do.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #25

Man, I would just go down to the tag office and explain the situation. They will let you know what you need to do to get it legal in your name. Our tag office is extremely helpful.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #26
rip

I believe Diva has the necessary bills of sale and previous title to begin a transfer at her local office. I think they'll help Diva too. So TexasBob and bradnailer have good direct advise.

Likely, previous sales tax and late penalty may be due. If the signatures are ok, the county office should help Diva with the transfer. There may be some other red tape or fees, but Diva should be fine in the Texas system.

I talked with a friend that did a lot of title transfers in my situation (not like Diva's) and although there was paperwork I could do, as helpfully suggested by my local office, he recomended I just meet the seller at lunch at his county office so he wouldn't need to take time off from work. All went well for us, it was a nice trip, done that day, and he even took me out to eat for lunch for my (our) trouble.

And, of course, my friend reminded me it's best that buyer and seller should go to the county office at the time of the sale and take care of the transfer so all goes smoothly, but seller's office was closed Sunday when we first did business.

The 'system' should get Diva from point A to point B, and, if someone here in Texas had been thru the same circumstance, they may have suggested Diva do something before entering the 'system'. I think Diva was looking here to see if someone had been thru the same unusual exchange. I think we all want this to turn out well for Diva.

I came here for help when I ordered my trailer from a dealer. Great advise here, mostly not mine.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote