Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #21

California Registration

California is ridiculous when it comes to DMV. You most likely will be required to have a VIN verification and possibly a Brake and Light Inspection. Then you will need to get all of those documents to DMV. Due to the covid-19 restrictions not sure if you can do this on line or have to make an appointment.

There are Businesses that can prepare all the DMV paper work and submit it for you. Also There are business that can do VIN verifications and Brake and Light inspections. I have not registered a trailer in many years but have done numerous cars and motorcycles.

If you have AAA insurance they did several registration for me in the past. Other wise check by using goggle or the yellow pages. Sometimes a reputable tow company has someone on staff to do DMV paper work.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
California is ridiculous when it comes to DMV. You most likely will be required to have a VIN verification and possibly a Brake and Light Inspection. Then you will need to get all of those documents to DMV. Due to the covid-19 restrictions not sure if you can do this on line or have to make an appointment.

There are Businesses that can prepare all the DMV paper work and submit it for you. Also There are business that can do VIN verifications and Brake and Light inspections. I have not registered a trailer in many years but have done numerous cars and motorcycles.

If you have AAA insurance they did several registration for me in the past. Other wise check by using goggle or the yellow pages. Sometimes a reputable tow company has someone on staff to do DMV paper work.
Thank you!!. I know CA is crazy and due to covid.. some of the DMV are closed. I searched on Yelp and find someone who can do the VIN verification. But Brake and Light? verification? Wow!!.. crazy..

Still looking through yelp to see if I find a all in one.. to do this ..
Old 02-25-2021, 04:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Thank you!!. I know CA is crazy and due to covid.. some of the DMV are closed. I searched on Yelp and find someone who can do the VIN verification. But Brake and Light? verification? Wow!!.. crazy..

What did CA DMV say when you called? That’s a much more resourceful way to figure out what exactly you need to do. When I did my out of state 2 years ago there was no 3rd party option. COVID may have changed that.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #24

Quote:

I'm not sure if you will need a Brake and Light inspection on a new trailer. On a motorcycle yes. I would ask the person that does the VIN verification and DMV paper work. Good Luck

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Old 02-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by simiHal View Post
What did CA DMV say when you called? That’s a much more resourceful way to figure out what exactly you need to do. When I did my out of state 2 years ago there was no 3rd party option. COVID may have changed that.
There is no way to get on the phone with a DMV rep. this is redicoulious.. Its just a automated system with no one to talk to.. this is crazy!!
Old 02-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #26
Tom.B

Several years back, I purchased from a Ohio dealer and brought into Southern California. I had a cop do my VIN check in my driveway, no charge. Printed the forms from DMV website for him. No light inspections on the trailer, he just checked the VIN. I had to pay difference in Ohio tax paid and CA. tax.
trbirkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbirkett View Post
Several years back, I purchased from a Ohio dealer and brought into Southern California. I had a cop do my VIN check in my driveway, no charge. Printed the forms from DMV website for him. No light inspections on the trailer, he just checked the VIN. I had to pay difference in Ohio tax paid and CA. tax.
on the buyer order, they didn't list any tax. so you saying i need to pay tax in CA when I register this?
example: 25000 for the trailer
my sale tax is 7.75%
= $1937.5

does this seem right?
Old 02-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbirkett View Post
Back on 2006, we bought our new HTT in Chicago and brought it back to California. We also paid cash so unless Utah is different, that dealer is BSing you. As above, we paid California tax minus the Illinois tax we paid before we left. Once we got back to California, we had a CHP sign off on the inspection, at the California DMV and registered it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #29

Quote:

I don't think Covid has anything to do with "crazy" in CA. It's been that way as long as I can remember. CA has yet to see a regulation they don't fall in love with.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #30

Quote:
on the buyer order, they didn't list any tax. so you saying i need to pay tax in CA when I register this?
example: 25000 for the trailer
my sale tax is 7.75%
= $1937.5

does this seem right?
I think i got rip off becuase we agreed it on OTD price? I thought that should include the tax and everything? DMV fee whatever paper work is needed? So is this a switch an bait ? this is not good.

I thought OTD price is included with TAX? but on the buyer orders they just list the following
example:
customer price 23,995.00
Dealer Pre / Rigging FRee 455.00
Unit Subtotal: 24,450
Temp License Plate: $32
Document and administrator fees $295
Cash price: $24,777.50
Out of state Sales Tax: 0
Out of State Title Fees: 0
Title/License/REgistration fees: 0

What should I do now? should I call the dealer and ask them to do my title and license registration fee?
Old 02-25-2021, 11:53 PM   #31

You live in CA and will register in CA. What others did in other states has NO bearing. Like it or not you're in CA and have to abide by the CVC. CA Vehicle Code. Call your local PD or CHP office and ask about getting the VIN verified. Take all your completed paper work to DMV, see if they are making appointments. If not check your local DMV office wait times on line and head there when convenient. Bring money or credit card and pay the fees. They'll give you plates and registration or may send you the plates in the mail. If your VIN is verified you should not need to bring the TT there. Enjoy your rig.
myclmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by myclmac View Post
You live in CA and will register in CA. What others did in other states has NO bearing. Like it or not you're in CA and have to abide by the CVC. CA Vehicle Code. Call your local PD or CHP office and ask about getting the VIN verified. Take all your completed paper work to DMV, see if they are making appointments. If not check your local DMV office wait times on line and head there when convenient. Bring money or credit card and pay the fees. They'll give you plates and registration or may send you the plates in the mail. If your VIN is verified you should not need to bring the TT there. Enjoy your rig.
I got it . i will do that. last question. I guess when I fill out the form it'll ask for for the price i pay for it. Can I just put some random number and lower my tax cut? will this work? please advise..

thank you
Old 02-26-2021, 01:30 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
I got it . i will do that. last question. I guess when I fill out the form it'll ask for for the price i pay for it. Can I just put some random number and lower my tax cut? will this work? please advise..

thank you
Nope because they will verify the selling price.
You should have bought used if you wanted to do that kind of thing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:43 AM   #34
Wanderluster

Quote:
I got it . i will do that. last question. I guess when I fill out the form it'll ask for for the price i pay for it. Can I just put some random number and lower my tax cut? will this work? please advise.

thank you
Do NOT misstate your purchase price to try and lower your tax liability. That is called a crime. The state of CA will not look kindly on a citizen trying to shortchange the tax owed under their law. The sales price needs to match what is on the buyers order, invoice, or other document from the dealer.

Your dealer did not do you any favors at all.
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:26 AM   #35

Quote:
I think i got rip off becuase we agreed it on OTD price? I thought that should include the tax and everything? DMV fee whatever paper work is needed? So is this a switch an bait ? this is not good.

I thought OTD price is included with TAX? but on the buyer orders they just list the following
example:
customer price 23,995.00
Dealer Pre / Rigging FRee 455.00
Unit Subtotal: 24,450
Temp License Plate: $32
Document and administrator fees $295
Cash price: $24,777.50
Out of state Sales Tax: 0
Out of State Title Fees: 0
Title/License/REgistration fees: 0

What should I do now? should I call the dealer and ask them to do my title and license registration fee?
We had the same argument when we had our truck ferried from Illinois to Wisconsin. The sales person stated there would be no doc fees because we would do our own title and transfer. When it was delivered to the door, the fee was there. Apparently the dealer has to file and keep documents for several years after the sale-at least that was the explanation. As displeased as we were, the deal was good enough that we paid the fee. The factory incentives on our purchase was over $10K.

As JACA stated, it would be tax fraud to misstate your purchase price. We submitted our bill of sale and had a cover letter showing how we derived at the taxable figure.
If the state requested your bill of sale as proof, what would you give them-incriminating evidence?
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
We had the same argument when we had our truck ferried from Illinois to Wisconsin. The sales person stated there would be no doc fees because we would do our own title and transfer. When it was delivered to the door, the fee was there. Apparently the dealer has to file and keep documents for several years after the sale-at least that was the explanation. As displeased as we were, the deal was good enough that we paid the fee. The factory incentives on our purchase was over $10K.

As JACA stated, it would be tax fraud to misstate your purchase price. We submitted our bill of sale and had a cover letter showing how we derived at the taxable figure.
If the state requested your bill of sale as proof, what would you give them-incriminating evidence?
There is no way to change the buyer order from the dealer? Maybe have them send me a new one with the same price but add in the sale tax there to be included in the OTD price? Or it was my mistake I didn't see that at the first place?

I know buying a car in CA . I always get the OTD price. and its included the tax in there. know what i mean?
Old 02-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #37
Wanderluster

Quote:
There is no way to change the buyer order from the dealer? Maybe have them send me a new one with the same price but add in the sale tax there to be included in the OTD price? Or it was my mistake I didn't see that at the first place?

I know buying a car in CA . I always get the OTD price. and its included the tax in there. know what i mean?
aboyz,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's no way that dealer will give you a nearly $2,000 discount on the sale price, AFTER you already signed the purchase order and drove away with the trailer. As far as that dealer is concerned, because they were not taking responsibility for paying your CA sales tax, the amount you paid was, in fact, the "out the door" price. This was a miscommunication or misunderstanding between you and the dealer, but it could and should have been cleared up before you signed the contract.

In any transaction, it is so critical to read all the documents, and more importantly, to understand all of it, before signing. Too often, all this gets forgotten or lost in the excitement of buying a new RV. Lessons learned...
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #38

Quote:

What you are asking us to do is join into a conspiracy to commit fraud. A dealer, even from a different state, is not going to jeopardize their dealers license to participate in an illegal act. There is state-to-state reciprocity. The Secretary of State may well audit a dealer's book. Some dealers don't feel comfortable doing license/title work in other states-others do. Quite simply, a purchase was made knowing the implications of having to pay fees and taxes. Even suggesting this on an open forum puts one in a bad place.

The multiple responses of advice given here is from personal experiences of doing it right. Personally, any questions I have are resolved by speaking directly with the agency involved. Do it right and you will sleep better at night.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #39

I made some phone calls to several Privately owned vehicle registration services in your area. All of them told me the same thing.

If you did not pay any sales tax at time of purchase, You will be responsible for the Calif. sales tax based on the purchase price as shown on a title or dealer sales contract. There is also the fess DMV charges for completing the registration and plates. The cost for most of their services depends on the number of forms required and the time they spend, But averaged about 10% of the total of sales tax and DMV fees.

So if you want to avoid The hassles at the DMV office there are alternatives but it's going to cost your about 10% more than DMV.

Just do a Google search for Vehicle Registration Services in your area. "Yelp" showed up with the "Top Ten". and shows where they are located on a map of the area. I called two just to see if your situation was something they could help with and both said it was not a problem. They could also complete the vin verification form.

Now I better get back to work before the boss finds out.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
aboyz,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there's no way that dealer will give you a nearly $2,000 discount on the sale price, AFTER you already signed the purchase order and drove away with the trailer. As far as that dealer is concerned, because they were not taking responsibility for paying your CA sales tax, the amount you paid was, in fact, the "out the door" price. This was a miscommunication or misunderstanding between you and the dealer, but it could and should have been cleared up before you signed the contract.

In any transaction, it is so critical to read all the documents, and more importantly, to understand all of it, before signing. Too often, all this gets forgotten or lost in the excitement of buying a new RV. Lessons learned...
I think you are right. i sigend it and forgot about the sale tax a big mistake by me!! I guess I gotta eat it up!! not good .. a big big mistake!! for anyone reading this. when you buy a trailer or car out of state. make sure the OTD price include the sale tax!! this way you only pay the difference from your state!!.

thank you