Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
I made some phone calls to several Privately owned vehicle registration services in your area. All of them told me the same thing.

If you did not pay any sales tax at time of purchase, You will be responsible for the Calif. sales tax based on the purchase price as shown on a title or dealer sales contract. There is also the fess DMV charges for completing the registration and plates. The cost for most of their services depends on the number of forms required and the time they spend, But averaged about 10% of the total of sales tax and DMV fees.

So if you want to avoid The hassles at the DMV office there are alternatives but it's going to cost your about 10% more than DMV.

Just do a Google search for Vehicle Registration Services in your area. "Yelp" showed up with the "Top Ten". and shows where they are located on a map of the area. I called two just to see if your situation was something they could help with and both said it was not a problem. They could also complete the vin verification form.

Now I better get back to work before the boss finds out.
Thank you for this info. Will search on yelp and get someone to complete this registration..

thank you..
Old 02-26-2021, 03:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
I think you are right. i sigend it and forgot about the sale tax a big mistake by me!! I guess I gotta eat it up!! not good .. a big big mistake!! for anyone reading this. when you buy a trailer or car out of state. make sure the OTD price include the sale tax!! this way you only pay the difference from your state!!.

thank you
To your dealer, the OTD price does not include any sales tax, because you got out of HIS door without paying it. Any OTD price quote will typically only include money in the transaction at that place of business. Money for stuff you have to get done at other places will not be included in any OTD quote.

That said, you still have to be careful at any dealer after you shake hands on a deal. 99% of the time they will add in extra things that you either accept or take hours to force it out.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
To your dealer, the OTD price does not include any sales tax, because you got out of HIS door without paying it. Any OTD price quote will typically only include money in the transaction at that place of business. Money for stuff you have to get done at other places will not be included in any OTD quote.

That said, you still have to be careful at any dealer after you shake hands on a deal. 99% of the time they will add in extra things that you either accept or take hours to force it out.
do i have to pay sales tax for service? doesn't make sense right. Only pay for goods sold?

example:
Dealer Pre / Rigging FRee 455.00
Temp License Plate: $32
Document and administrator fees $295

Does that mean I can substrct that from the OTD price and just put that down on my total value? does that make sense?

Since i'm already got the switch and bait from the dealer. Can I just reach out to them and ask them to change the buy's order to reflect the OTD price including the tax? What worst they can say is NO right?

The finance team just need to modify it to come out to the excatl amount that was purchased included the tax you know? just lower the trailer sale and add in the tax.

I mean that is how they do it in the car industry.

What do they gotta loose? if they put in sales tax on the buyer order does that mean they need to pay tax? on their end? is that how it work. that is why they 0 tax on the buyer order?

Thank you..
Old 02-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #44
Wanderluster

Quote:
do i have to pay sales tax for service? doesn't make sense right. Only pay for goods sold?

example:

Does that mean I can substrct that from the OTD price and just put that down on my total value? does that make sense?

Since i'm already got the switch and bait from the dealer. Can I just reach out to them and ask them to change the buy's order to reflect the OTD price including the tax? What worst they can say is NO right?

The finance team just need to modify it to come out to the excatl amount that was purchased included the tax you know? just lower the trailer sale and add in the tax.

What do they gotta loose? if they put in sales tax on the buyer order does that mean they need to pay tax? on their end? is that how it work. that is why they 0 tax on the buyer order?

Thank you..
Forget about the OTD price. That has nothing to do with how much sales tax you will pay. In CA, you'll pay 7.25% of the sale price, which you previously said was $23,995. You've already paid the other dealer junk fees, which don't impact your sales tax. Your dealer won't do what you're suggesting, because it's illegal. Since you have a purchase order/invoice which shows the sales price ($23,995), the DMV will charge you for sales tax based on that amount.
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #45

Quote:

example:

Thank you..
Unless CA requires sales tax on services, you should not have to pay sales tax on services. Most states do not tax services, and for a vehicle, the sales tax is typically only on the vehicle price. You definitely do not pay tax on doc fees and temp plates, and probably not on admin fees.

Yes, you can deduct items that are not subject to sales tax from the price you paid for the vehicle. That is not fraud, as long as reasonably factual.

Any good dealer should write up an invoice that shows the sales price for the vehicle separately from the add on items that are not taxable. I can’t say they will, but why would they not? They should help you avoid paying sales tax on items that are not taxable. You can pay CA tax only on the vehicle, most likely. As long as it is truthful, the dealer should not have a problem.

The seller does not pay any sales tax on resale items. The seller is obligated by law to collect tax from the buyer (in most cases) and pay that over to the state, but they do not have to pay the tax themselves. Sales tax is typically only on the final consumer, so they don’t pay sales tax on the units they buy for resale. The idea is that sales tax only applies only once to any item, that once being on the final sale to the ultimate consumer.

As for your question, “Can I just reach out to them and ask them to change the buy's order to reflect the OTD price including the tax?”--it’s not clear what you would be asking for them to do. There is no "OTD price including the tax" from that dealer's point of view for your transaction. The OTD price for them was whatever you paid to them, and that did not include taxes. Their OTD price cannot include money paid elsewhere. OTD to them means "out their door," not getting in your door through the CA DMV/local tax collector. They are not in a position to know what taxes you will be paying, so they cannot really be asked to include your taxes they are not collecting in any of their paperwork. I suppose there is no harm in asking, but they might be puzzled.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
Unless CA requires sales tax on services, you should not have to pay sales tax on services. Most states do not tax services, and for a vehicle, the sales tax is typically only on the vehicle price. You definitely do not pay tax on doc fees and temp plates, and probably not on admin fees.

Yes, you can deduct items that are not subject to sales tax from the price you paid for the vehicle. That is not fraud, as long as reasonably factual.

Any good dealer should write up an invoice that shows the sales price for the vehicle separately from the add on items that are not taxable. I can’t say they will, but why would they not? They should help you avoid paying sales tax on items that are not taxable. You can pay CA tax only on the vehicle, most likely. As long as it is truthful, the dealer should not have a problem.

The seller does not pay any sales tax on resale items. The seller is obligated by law to collect tax from the buyer (in most cases) and pay that over to the state, but they do not have to pay the tax themselves. Sales tax is typically only on the final consumer, so they don’t pay sales tax on the units they buy for resale. The idea is that sales tax only applies only once to any item, that once being on the final sale to the ultimate consumer.

As for your question, “Can I just reach out to them and ask them to change the buy's order to reflect the OTD price including the tax?”--it’s not clear what you would be asking for them to do. There is no "OTD price including the tax" from that dealer's point of view for your transaction. The OTD price for them was whatever you paid to them, and that did not include taxes. Their OTD price cannot include money paid elsewhere. OTD to them means "out their door," not getting in your door through the CA DMV/local tax collector. They are not in a position to know what taxes you will be paying, so they cannot really be asked to include your taxes they are not collecting in any of their paperwork. I suppose there is no harm in asking, but they might be puzzled.
Since there is no harm in asking. I'll just ask and see what they got to say. Thank you for the explanation. So I'm going to just list the sale price i pay for the trailer excluding the other fee.

So $23,995 x $7.75% corona sale tax.

thanks again all. lesson learned..
Old 02-26-2021, 05:55 PM   #47

Bought a motorhome in Texas and had to register it here in so cal you will pay the difference in sales tax and register as you would your car.
2013 Rockwood 2608ws
2013 Ram 2500 4x4 megacab
2015 Dynamax dx3 super c
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:39 PM   #48
Wanderluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Barb View Post
Bought a motorhome in Texas and had to register it here in so cal you will pay the difference in sales tax and register as you would your car.
2013 Rockwood 2608ws
2013 Ram 2500 4x4 megacab
2015 Dynamax dx3 super c
Joe-Barb, just so the OP is not confused by your circumstances - he did not pay any sales tax at the dealer in Utah. This means he will need to pay ALL of the 7.25% of the sales price when he registers, not just the difference between the tax rates in UT and CA.
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:56 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
Joe-Barb, just so the OP is not confused by your circumstances - he did not pay any sales tax at the dealer in Utah. This means he will need to pay ALL of the 7.25% of the sales price when he registers, not just the difference between the tax rates in UT and CA.
Well....the difference between 7.25% sales tax and 0% sales tax is 7.25%.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #50

I got through to the DMV twice in the last 2 weeks. Just select other at each menu choice and eventually you will ring through. The hold time will be over an hour so just give them your number to call back.

Best is go to AAA if you are a member. They printed my registration and gave me tags for the motorhome I purchased last October (the DMV still hadn't sent them).

Good luck.
Former owner of 2016 Wildwood X-Lite 231RKXL
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #51

we also bought a trailer in Utah and then brought it to AZ for registration. The dealer sent a whole package of paperwork for the registration process which we had to do in AZ where we paid taxes and fees. But that paperwork came a week or two after the purchase. So you might check. We bought ours from Castle Country
garmanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:40 PM   #52

As someone who lives in California I can tell you how this is done. It’s very simple. Get your checkbook out, write a check to the DMV for the entire amount of your checking account and you’ll be good to go.
bmwdave52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:07 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoods View Post
I got through to the DMV twice in the last 2 weeks. Just select other at each menu choice and eventually you will ring through. The hold time will be over an hour so just give them your number to call back.

Best is go to AAA if you are a member. They printed my registration and gave me tags for the motorhome I purchased last October (the DMV still hadn't sent them).

Good luck.
Thank you for the tips.. I'll schedule a time to go in.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmanmd View Post
we also bought a trailer in Utah and then brought it to AZ for registration. The dealer sent a whole package of paperwork for the registration process which we had to do in AZ where we paid taxes and fees. But that paperwork came a week or two after the purchase. So you might check. We bought ours from Castle Country
Same place where I brought mine.. Can I see our buyers order if you don't mine. that listed the tax? Strange thing is that they don't list my tax
Old 03-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdave52 View Post
As someone who lives in California I can tell you how this is done. It’s very simple. Get your checkbook out, write a check to the DMV for the entire amount of your checking account and you’ll be good to go.
Hahaha. Its all about the MONEY!!! Money talk!!
Old 03-01-2021, 08:15 PM   #56

We purchased our fifth wheel from a dealer in Oregon this past Sept, we live in CA as well. The dmv person at the dealer setup all paperwork and fees needed for us. When we got home I had to get the vin verified for getting our license plate. The dealer was off by $300 so I had to pay that. Otherwise it was straight forward.
alvinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #57

IF you have a Utah Title and plates, I would just enjoy life until the tabs need to be renewed. Then before they need to be renewed take in your info and get new plates. Covid should be way less in 11 months. CA web site should have all the info your state needs as well, enjoy your camper and stress way less
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #58

Buyers order does not list the tax as they collected no tax. That is between you and the state you register it in. They only give you the package necessary for the registration. Each state has a different process, but the tax will likely be based on the selling price. Mine was about 1,700 for taxes and registration. I expect CA is not cheaper. So it depends on the trailer and the relative price
Old 03-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #59

I'm guessing your Utah "Title" was just like mine. It lasted for about 60 days and then expired and sooner or later you have to go to the local DMV and pay up. The dealer explained it all pretty clearly to me when I purchased mine.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:03 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmanmd View Post
I'm guessing your Utah "Title" was just like mine. It lasted for about 60 days and then expired and sooner or later you have to go to the local DMV and pay up. The dealer explained it all pretty clearly to me when I purchased mine.
Yeah thank you all for the help.. I know what is needed now.

1. Get someone on Yelp to do the VIN registration? Is it possible to go to Police station and have them do it? is it FREE? anyone know.?
2. Call DMV and make appointment to go in and pay the FEE? does this sound right? Anyone know what form I need to print out online before going in? so the process can be faster and smoother?

thank you all.