Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2021, 01:17 AM   #1

Title, Taxes and Fee and DMV registration etc other state purchase?

Hi,

I'm new to this, can someone help me out here. I live in Los Angeles California and I purchased a Geo Pro in Utah.

On the title it is register under Utah. Now I got trailer towed home. Is there any other paperwork I need to fill out? DMV to go to or any other fee to pay? I'm not sure how it work. Please advise what I need to know in order to get this title to me completely.

thank you
Old 02-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #2

To register, head to the DMV, or notary, and submit:
A Completed Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343).
The Vehicle's Out-of-State Title.
The Vehicle's Out-of-State Registration.
Proof of Insurance, if applicable. When we bought our TT in NY we drove directly to a notary here in PA to register. All we did in NY was put our old TT plate on and drove directly to notary . Did not pay tax there or register the TT there. Living in Erie PA we are very close to Ohio and NY and bought vehicles from both states and do the same any time we do. Most states temp plates are just $25 if you do not have a current plate to attach to trailer or vehicle. Not sure if hanging an existing plate is legal until transfer, but we have done it a few times and one time bought a temp plate. If any applicable sales tax it should be paid in your state, not the purchase state.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #3

We bought ours 2 years ago in AZ. At that time I had to physically take the trailer to a CHP or DMV office to have the VIN checked. What a pain in a tight parking lot. Again, at that time I was required to pay the difference between AZ and CA registration plus the difference in sales tax. For your sake I hope you don’t actually live within the city of Los Angeles.
COVID has changed most things so I would contact the CADMV to validate what I had to do.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
To register, head to the DMV, or notary, and submit:
A Completed Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343).
The Vehicle's Out-of-State Title.
The Vehicle's Out-of-State Registration.
Proof of Insurance, if applicable. When we bought our TT in NY we drove directly to a notary here in PA to register. All we did in NY was put our old TT plate on and drove directly to notary . Did not pay tax there or register the TT there. Living in Erie PA we are very close to Ohio and NY and bought vehicles from both states and do the same any time we do. Most states temp plates are just $25 if you do not have a current plate to attach to trailer or vehicle. Not sure if hanging an existing plate is legal until transfer, but we have done it a few times and one time bought a temp plate. If any applicable sales tax it should be paid in your state, not the purchase state.
You might want to check state laws concerning putting the license plate from the old trailer onto the new trailer right after purchase. Without going through the DMV process, that is considered an infraction or a misdemeanor, depending on the state. In Alaska, it's a misdemeanor.
AlaskaErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #5

You never said if it was new or used. If new, you’ll need your purchase agreement that shows what, if any sales tax you paid. If less than your local sales tax you’ll pay the difference at the time of registration.

You will need to take the trailer to the DMV so they can do a VIN verification. If unable to do so, you can hire someone to do the VIN verification for you. Do a google search and you’ll find people in your area that can do this for you. We paid $150 for our VIN verification because she had to drive 1.5 hours to our property to do it.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #6
Wanderluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this, can someone help me out here. I live in Los Angeles California and I purchased a Geo Pro in Utah.

On the title it is register under Utah. Now I got trailer towed home. Is there any other paperwork I need to fill out? DMV to go to or any other fee to pay? I'm not sure how it work. Please advise what I need to know in order to get this title to me completely.

thank you
aboyz,

Since you are in CA, and assuming you will register/title in CA, go here:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicl...-registration/

Keep in mind that the registration, title, and tax procedures for any vehicle (trailer, motorhome, car, truck...) varies from state to state. There are also a number of other factors that will change how/where it's done, how much you pay, etc. Any advice/experiences you get from anyone outside of CA, and dealing with something different from your specific circumstances probably will not apply to you.

Here are examples of questions that may determine how/where/what you need to do:

Did you buy new or used? From a dealer or private seller? Did you finance or pay cash? What is the gross vehicle weight? Are you using the RV strictly for personal use or is there any commercial activity? Which county do you live in?
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
aboyz,

Since you are in CA, and assuming you will register/title in CA, go here:

Keep in mind that the registration, title, and tax procedures for any vehicle (trailer, motorhome, car, truck...) varies from state to state. There are also a number of other factors that will change how/where it's done, how much you pay, etc. Any advice/experiences you get from anyone outside of CA, and dealing with something different from your specific circumstances probably will not apply to you.

Here are examples of questions that may determine how/where/what you need to do:

Did you buy new or used? From a dealer or private seller? Did you finance or pay cash? What is the gross vehicle weight? Are you using the RV strictly for personal use or is there any commercial activity? Which county do you live in?
There is no plate ont he vehicile just a temp paper plate on it right now. I purchased brand new from a dealer in Utah. I pay cash for it. Gross weight of the vehicle is 3500lb. I use RV for personal use. I live in the city of Riverside.

The only document I got from them is Buyer order and agreement when I signed the contract and the price I paid. I also got a title to my name and the VIN # on the card.

I'm pretty sure DMV is so busy now due to COVID. So you saying I can hire someone to verify the VIN and help me submit the form to DMV is that my best option now? How do I know how much I need to pay in taxes and fee?

thank you
Old 02-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #8

This is all the document I signed and have.

Buyer's Order
Sales and Use Tax Exemption Affidavit for Exclusive Use Outside of Utah
Vehicle Application for Utah Title
Buyers Guide
Motor Vehicle Contract of Sale
Title Registration

Thank you all.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You might want to check state laws concerning putting the license plate from the old trailer onto the new trailer right after purchase. Without going through the DMV process, that is considered an infraction or a misdemeanor, depending on the state. In Alaska, it's a misdemeanor.
I agree it is likely a violation. We always go from the purchase location to the notary we use all the time so it is only on there for a couple hours. I would not try doing so for any more than that.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
Wanderluster

Quote:
This is all the document I signed and have.

Buyer's Order
Sales and Use Tax Exemption Affidavit for Exclusive Use Outside of Utah
Vehicle Application for Utah Title
Buyers Guide
Motor Vehicle Contract of Sale
Title Registration

Thank you all.
Since you bought it new, from a dealer, they should have done all of this for you. Also, you probably don't have a title, since it's new. You probably have a certificate of origin/manufacturer, and you need that to apply for a new title in CA. If the dealer did not give you an original title or certificate of origin/manufacturer, then they can and should still process the initial registration and title. Did you ask the dealer to do your own registration and title? If not, it sounds like this dealer may have just blown you off.
www.instagram.com/operation.wanderlust
JACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACA View Post
Since you bought it new, from a dealer, they should have done all of this for you. Also, you probably don't have a title, since it's new. You probably have a certificate of origin/manufacturer, and you need that to apply for a new title in CA. If the dealer did not give you an original title or certificate of origin/manufacturer, then they can and should still process the initial registration and title. Did you ask the dealer to do your own registration and title? If not, it sounds like this dealer may have just blown you off.
yeah. i don't think he did my registration and title, because I don't see any dmv form to sign . I guess I have to do it myself.. let me look for someone who can do it for me remotely without my going to the DMV..
Old 02-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
In our state the violation is Improper Use of Registration albeit the previous owner's plate or one not currently registered to the veh or trailer. The time one can use a bill of sale varies between states. In some states it is 24 hours or the next business day if it is a weekend or holiday.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:21 PM   #13

Quote:
yeah. i don't think he did my registration and title, because I don't see any dmv form to sign . I guess I have to do it myself.. let me look for someone who can do it for me remotely without my going to the DMV..
I would call the dealer as they do this type of sale/transfer all the time and I'm betting they have done something and maybe you just missed it in the excitement of picking it up. I would start with them so you don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #14

We have done three interstate transactions of vehicles:
1. Illinois resident purchased new vehicle from dealer in Wisconsin and licensed/titled in Florida. The Wisconsin dealer did the paperwork. We paid sales tax to Florida along with plates and title transfer.
2. Purchased new motor home in Minnesota and paid sales tax in Wisconsin along with plates and title. Dealer did the paperwork.
3. Purchased new truck from dealer in Illinois and had it ferried to Wisconsin during the Covid pandemic. All of the paperwork was signed in our garage. The dealer provided an "in transit" permit once the payment cleared. Due to the pandemic, it was mandatory to file for title, plate transfer, and taxes on line. Because of the factory rebates, I had to determine which figure to use for taxing purposes. I then mailed the application along with a copy of the bill of sale, check to cover fees and taxes, and a cover letter to explain the situation. Wisconsin DMV did not notify us that the plate had been transferred 3 days after the postmark. I called the state police and determined the plates were valid on the new truck. Had we known, we could have attached the plates. Within 45 days, we received the registration card and the title. It seemed a little overwhelming at the time, but it went smoothly considering the pandemic.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinfever97 View Post
I agree it is likely a violation. We always go from the purchase location to the notary we use all the time so it is only on there for a couple hours. I would not try doing so for any more than that.
FLORIDA has, for $5.00, issued temp tags to me when I go tell the DMV that I want to buy a motor vehicle out of state and bring it back for registration. I guess they would do that for a trailer as well.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I would call the dealer as they do this type of sale/transfer all the time and I'm betting they have done something and maybe you just missed it in the excitement of picking it up. I would start with them so you don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.
just talked to the dealer, this is what they says
They will not help me do the dmv stuff because I purchased it. Unless it was finance they will do the dmv stuff .

they will send me everything all paperwork orginal doc and I bring it to dmv to do the transfer.

Question for you all. they need the VIN number of the trailer. can i just take a picture and show it to them?

Or likd the other poster stated I can hire a notary or some short to do this VIN validation without going to the DMV?
please advise. due to covid , my wife do not allow me to go .

thank you
Old 02-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #17

We bought our new rv in Texas, live in Oklahoma. Dealer had us sign statement that it was to be registered in another state, copied our I’d and sent that to state department in Texas. We paid no taxes or registration fees in Texas, just Oklahoma. As stated above, all states are different, ask dealer and California dmv.
lescarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:52 PM   #18

ok. i think i know what I needed. for VIN verification. I'll hire a third party to come onsite to do the VIN verification. Is it a cerficate they give me after its done? and after that I can go online and grab this form

and fill it out along with the VIN verification and I can send it in through postal mail?

Can this be done through mail or do I need to pshycially go in?

please advise..
Old 02-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #19

Quote:
just talked to the dealer, this is what they says
They will not help me do the dmv stuff because I purchased it. Unless it was finance they will do the dmv stuff .

they will send me everything all paperwork orginal doc and I bring it to dmv to do the transfer.

Question for you all. they need the VIN number of the trailer. can i just take a picture and show it to them?

Or likd the other poster stated I can hire a notary or some short to do this VIN validation without going to the DMV?
please advise. due to covid , my wife do not allow me to go .

thank you
When we registered a boat in Wisconsin, we took a picture overall and a picture of the Vin plate. I time/dated the pictures. They accepted that as proof. You may want to check with your CA DMV. Because of the Covid,some agencies are relaxing the rules.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #20

Quote:
ok. i think i know what I needed. for VIN verification. I'll hire a third party to come onsite to do the VIN verification. Is it a cerficate they give me after its done? and after that I can go online and grab this form

and fill it out along with the VIN verification and I can send it in through postal mail?

Can this be done through mail or do I need to pshycially go in?

please advise..
In our state, mail was mandatory. According to the DMV website, we could walk in. But when we walked in, we were advised that it could only be done by mail.