Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #1

To File a Claim or Not?

It happened sooner than expected. We bought our EPro in January. We've used it six times so far, and on Tuesday 8/4 Hurricane Isaias decided to drop a tree on it. We did't get there to check on it until Wednesday because we also had water and sewage forced back into our basement by the strom.

We originally thought the damage to the camper was very minimal and that the roof rack had caught it, but now that we were able to remove some branches we see that the camper roof is supporting the weight of the tree and prevented it from severely damaging the RV next to ours as well as the storage facility's fence.

The call was put in to the insurance company as soon as we got there and saw that it had happened. The facility is working on getting someone out to remove the main part of the tree.

I realize that until it gets inspected, there's no way of knowing the full extent of damage. What we can see so far is that there's a dent in the roof and a small tear in the roof liner, the roof rack also took a large branch and is dented, the satellite antenna had a larger branch on it, the one end cap to the awning had a piece on the ground (not sure if it broke or just pops off) and the solar panel is shattered internally.

I have no idea how much any of that may cost to replace/repair, and am curious as to whether - assuming this is all the damage there is - it's likely to be significantly more than our $500 deductible on our insurance plan and worth filing the claim. My gut is saying probably.

My husband is insisting that it's going to be able to be repaired and in use again come September/October, but that's also going to depend on when the tree gets removed and how soon I can get it in for repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper claim 8-5-20 b.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	236129   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper claim 8-5-20 c.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	236130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200808_094107097.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	620.6 KB
ID:	236131   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	236132   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper claim 8-5-20 g.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	236133  

CJGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #2

Sorry to hear, hopefully you and your family are safe. You will want to protect it from water damage now either with a tarp or eternabond in the hole in the roof. Insurance would cover the initial damage but if you don't act to protect it they will not cover the subsequent water damage so better safe than sorry. Don't give them any excuse not to cover 100%.

Hard to tell from the photos as to what the damage is. It is possiblely structural if the tree hit too hard but you may be in luck. Hopefully things work out for the best. I would file the claim and see what the damage is before taking action.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Sorry to hear, hopefully you and your family are safe. You will want to protect it from water damage now either with a tarp or eternabond in the hole in the roof. Insurance would cover the initial damage but if you don't act to protect it they will not cover the subsequent water damage so better safe than sorry. Don't give them any excuse not to cover 100%.

Hard to tell from the photos as to what the damage is. It is possibly structural if the tree hit too hard but you may be in luck. Hopefully things work out for the best. I would file the claim and see what the damage is before taking action.
Yeah, I know it's hard to see. The structural bit is what I'm worried about, as that was a large walnut tree loaded with walnuts on the branches and what we did remove was probably 400lbs or more of branches. (photo attachment is about 1/4-1/3 of what we took off of the tree) I'm also worried that the seals around the antenna and roof rack may have been compromised. He put flextape over the tear yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200808_103408193.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	619.0 KB
ID:	236134  
CJGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGray View Post
Yeah, I know it's hard to see. The structural bit is what I'm worried about, as that was a large walnut tree loaded with walnuts on the branches and what we did remove was probably 400lbs or more of branches. (photo attachment is about 1/4-1/3 of what we took off of the tree) I'm also worried that the seals around the antenna and roof rack may have been compromised. He put flextape over the tear yesterday.
Just remember Flextape is for temporary repairs only. Read the disclaimer on the website as they don't state it on any of their products.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #5

Go get a framing square, and go inside and put the framing square against the wall and ceiling on both sides of the impact. That will tell you if there is structural damage. On the opposite side of the impact, if there is a gap of any kind between the wall and top of the framing square, that means the tree pushed the entire roof towards that side. You can confirm if there is a gap at either end of the framing square when placed on the strike side wall.

Another way is to eyeball the roof edge and sidewall, but only if the roof is flat front to back. Takes a good practiced eye to spot a deflection though, which is why I recommend the large framing square.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Brake is on left

Wow, I’m sorry for all the trouble in both homes (with and without wheels). I’m sure your insurance company would know, but is the storage facility insurance kicking in? Just curious. Sort of like if my tree falls on my neighbors fence, it is my insurance that picks up the tab.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #7

As for making a claim, why wouldn't you.

That's why we carry insurance.

If the insurance company covers repairs, working with the repair facility, most insurance companies see to it that that subsequent issues are handled. Better than DIY repairs.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #8

There's no harm in calling your insurance agent and getting some advice.

My guess is that they won't be able to do any appraisal until that tree is removed and you should be able to get some idea of the damage at that time.
In the meantime, continue to take plenty of pictures and protect the trailer from further damage.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJGray View Post
RV next to ours as well as the storage facility's fence.
Not an insurance expert. (just a life expert :-)

But, if this was in a storage facility. The facility insurance should cover this. And it does not matter what their small print says in the rental agreement. I would first ask the facility. Then talk to your insurance company about who is liable, they may actually intercede on your behalf. And as last resort ughhh a lawyer.

Good luck!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #10

Get the insurance adjuster out there. After they tell you we hat they will cover and how much then you can decide if you want to file the claim.

I have had several experiences like this with my home insurance when I lived in STL. Minor storm damage that would only result in $100-$200 in my pocket after the deductible. I decided that it was not worth it due to the bump in my premium for filing a claim.

You may be able to get parts paid for by insurance and do the repairs yourself. Depends on the company. I assume other RV's got damaged so there will be a backlog at the shops.

Lots to think about. Good luck.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #11

You've got a new trailer. Mine is 5 years old. I have had 2 body repairs done in those 5 years - one for delamination on a side wall and one from damage from a blown tire. One repair cost me over $1000 with Rockwood splitting the cost with me. The other cost $1900. Doesn't take long to get over your deductible.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #12

File the claim.

Get the tree off and if it can be safely towed, pull it to your chosen repair shop. Whomever the adjuster is will want to discuss the possible repairs and if repairable the unit is already there it may expedite repairs.
Tomacs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:15 PM   #13

Bump in Premium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post
Get the insurance adjuster out there. After they tell you we hat they will cover and how much then you can decide if you want to file the claim.

I have had several experiences like this with my home insurance when I lived in STL. Minor storm damage that would only result in $100-$200 in my pocket after the deductible. I decided that it was not worth it due to the bump in my premium for filing a claim.

You may be able to get parts paid for by insurance and do the repairs yourself. Depends on the company. I assume other RV's got damaged so there will be a backlog at the shops.

We had some residential damage from Hurricane Fran in 1996. Also a claim for a grease fire in the kitchen. Our carrier, Amica, never raised our rates. Also an automotive claim for a taillight broken by vandals and being rear-ended by an uninsured motorist did not result in increases.

And remember, if they total it, you get a new trailer and don't have to worry about hidden damage.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobienick View Post

That's assuming the company does business that way. Mine doesn't.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #15
Retired Old Fart

Who owned the tree? Was it on the storage facility lot? If so, the facility owns all the damage as well since it was "their" tree.

Insurance companies are a funny thing. You end up paying a deductible and they low ball you on the repair, then they try to recover full value from the storage facility insurance company. And in the end, your rates go up because you filed a claim. It's almost like a rigged game (actually it is).
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #16

Time to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That's assuming the company does business that way. Mine doesn't.
Time to change. Mine sure does. That's Amica for the house cars/trucks. We have Progressive on the big trailer, never had a claim so no experience.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #17
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Who owned the tree? Was it on the storage facility lot? If so, the facility owns all the damage as well since it was "their" tree.

Insurance companies are a funny thing. You end up paying a deductible and they low ball you on the repair, then they try to recover full value from the storage facility insurance company. And in the end, your rates go up because you filed a claim. It's almost like a rigged game (actually it is).

Just retired from an insurance related job and this post is exactly correct. And, lasst year I had a claim of my own from water damage to my home. (Same company). My new premium went up over $200.00 And, I have been with this company over 30 years and made my last claim in 1995. They are out to get you for all they can.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #18

It comes down to pay me now or pay me later. I have found that higher premium plans probably won't raise your rates. Lower premium plans probably will. So, you can choose higher premiums and know you will pay more over time or, choose a lower premium plan and know you will pay more if you have to loose it. Fixed cost vs. Variable cost. Your risk tolerance and rainy day fund determine what works best for you.

Of course there are a myriad of factors that determine your premium so the blanket statements in this post are not absolute.

2022 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
2020 Rockwood Roo 19 (Sold Jul 2022)
2012 F150 SuperCrew Ecoboost
hobienick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #19

Check your axles and springs for damage also.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #20

Framing Square

Got a chuckle out of that. Something square in an RV?
Ohinaz1970 is offline   Reply With Quote