Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
Hello fellow members. We are from north Florida and just purchased our first travel trailer. We are picking it up next Thursday. We purchased a 2013 Salem Cruise Lite 221 RXBL and can't wait to use it. I do have question about where to purchase the most reasonable insurance. Have a great day, Sherry & Frank
Congrats on the Salem Cruise Lite 221 RXBL! I have a 2011 Cruise Lite 20RBXL and just love it so I'm sure you will enjoy your RV too.

One thing to keep in mind is that not all policies or coverage are the same so often we are not comparing apples to apples. Do some research to help figure out what coverage is best for you. Will stolen items be covered or only if the RV is stolen? Can the home owner or renters policy come into play and if so, when?

And in the event that you find better coverage down the road you can always make a change.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc View Post
Hello fellow members. We are from north Florida and just purchased our first travel trailer. We are picking it up next Thursday. We purchased a 2013 Salem Cruise Lite 221 RXBL and can't wait to use it. I do have question about where to purchase the most reasonable insurance. Have a great day, Sherry & Frank
Frank and Sherry,

Congrats on the new Salem Cruise Lite and welcome to the forum.

Liability conerage is an extension of the liability insurance on your TV. All the extra coverage you need is comprehensive and collision. Road service is furnished by FR through CoachNet during the first year, and can be continued or replaced by Good Sam, AAA, etc.

Enjoy the new trailer.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #23

Don't forget about personal contents. Every company has different amounts of included contents coverage and some offer none at all. Make sure your policy has enough to cover your stuff inside. If not, call your agent and bump up the coverage. Anything in the camper that's not factory installed/attached is considered personal contents.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #24

It also depends what state, county, city you are in . I've had state farm for over 20 yrs in Lancaster, Dallas county , Texas
Auto's , home ... They have come up with a 20% raise on home owners

My truck , TT (2012) 831 RKSS is with Geico since 2012 , they were cheaper than state farm
2010 Harley ultra classic ..... Geico ... State farm a lot higher
2013 Honda scooter wife's camping ride ... Geico

I'm either going to to go with Geico on home and 2 other autos , or swiching to Safeco ??
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #25

Keep in mind that GEICO will not be your home insurance carrier. They do not write home insurance. They act as a broker and the home will be written with a different company.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #26

I have State Farm for everything but even my agent told me that the progressive quote I got at lazy days was better then what they could give me on it . I have full replacement at the price it was when I bought it. And i think like 300,00.00 coverage if anyone get hurts its seems to be a pretty good deal only 45.00 a month and it includes some other coverage too I can't remember what it was for. And the deductible is like 500.00
Rustydade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #27
One Happy Camper!

Progressive here. About 325 a year, low deductable with current model year replacement coverage.
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hi Sherry and Frank. Welcome!

We've always bundled our trailer insurance in with our auto & home. We get a bit of a discount, but its more for convenience.

Some others will separate their insurance presumably for a cost savings. Either way is fine, but you might as well start with a quote from wherever you have your home and auto and then get quotes from other places if you want to compare.

We also have a separate coverage for towing and things like that with AAA RV Plus but Good Sam's and others also offer these services.
Triguy I have A A A plus to but I use to have A A A plus RV .It does not cover your trailer if your truck breaks down.I broke down a 107 miles away from home and had them tow my truck which was fine it cost me the 7 miles diff. But they would not tow my trailer I had to get my dad to go get it.They told me the only why the trailer was cover if you got a flat or a broken axle on it so i drop the RV.Has anybody else run in to this problem.Please let me know thanks
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #29
Site Team

Last summer I got a quote from AAA and was pleased with the difference in price & additional coverage in comparison to my Allstate policy. With AAA it would be swtiching to AAA for my truck too. Dad's home owner policy is linked to my auto and he gets a good discount so I have stayed with Allstate on his behalf.

My recommendation would be to determine what coverage you want or need and go from there.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
Last summer I got a quote from AAA and was pleased with the difference in price & additional coverage in comparison to my Allstate policy. With AAA it would be swtiching to AAA for my truck too. Dad's home owner policy is linked to my auto and he gets a good discount so I have stayed with Allstate on his behalf.

My recommendation would be to determine what coverage you want or need and go from there.
I had to file a complaint with them and they they gave me my money back for rv part. I still have AAA plus for my truck and I satified with that part.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #31

I have The Hartford group for my car, home and flood and I happy with them .I call for a quote with the same ded. and coverage and aaa was higher.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #32

I didn't know that anyone other then the Federal Government sold flood, rising water, insurance?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I didn't know that anyone other then the Federal Government sold flood, rising water, insurance?
As I know all ins. co. do but there is no saving on it it is regulator by the gov.
There is no discount with a bundle plan either. To put it straight it is a waste of money.The only reason I have it is I owe on my house and they say i am in the flood zone
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #34

That wasn't my question.My question was has anyone been broke down and had to have there truck and trailer tow by AAA. That had AAA plus RV .I had it and I broke down twice and I had to get someone else to go get my trailer.They told me when I put it on my policy .That if I had to use it for that reason I would be charge with two towed that fine but when I broke down they told me that the trailer had to be disable.So is there any program out there that would tow your RV home .I know you wouldn't want to leave it along the road or a rest stop either Thanks Bill
Old 02-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill flick View Post
That wasn't my question.My question was has anyone been broke down and had to have there truck and trailer tow by AAA. That had AAA plus RV .I had it and I broke down twice and I had to get someone else to go get my trailer.They told me when I put it on my policy .That if I had to use it for that reason I would be charge with two towed that fine but when I broke down they told me that the trailer had to be disable.So is there any program out there that would tow your RV home .I know you wouldn't want to leave it along the road or a rest stop either Thanks Bill
Bill,
Are you talking about prepaid towing in case your vehicle breaks down? I am not sure why they told you that because it conflicts with their policy statements for AAA Plus RV. Attached are a few pieces from the handbook plus the member handbook description that describes towing of eligible vehicles, which includes travel trailers with AAA Plus RV.

Granted, I haven't used it so cannot prove it though my own experience, but, through the description and through their conversations with me, I have no reason to believe they would not tow the trailer if my truck broke down.

Of course, I could be wrong and in for a rude awakening when I need the service
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	97
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	24820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	24823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	24824  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AAA-Wisconsin-Membership-Handbook.pdf (2.53 MB, 23 views)

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #36

Insurance

Has anyone really looked at the difference in cost for a lower deductible versus the higher deductible.?? Insurance companies want you to have a high deductible as they don't have to pay out sooner than later. It is usually only a few dollars difference. When you add this up and compare it to the 500 or 1000 dollar deductible you usually come out ahead with the smaller deductible even though it may cost a little more each month.
jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #37

A trailer is not a vehicle. It is a trailer and does not, I assume qualify as a towable.
I could be wrong, but that is my interpretation.

I guess another way of saying it is if it is not broke then AAA won't tow it?
jeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Bill,
Are you talking about prepaid towing in case your vehicle breaks down? I am not sure why they told you that because it conflicts with their policy statements for AAA Plus RV. Attached are a few pieces from the handbook plus the member handbook description that describes towing of eligible vehicles, which includes travel trailers with AAA Plus RV.

Granted, I haven't used it so cannot prove it though my own experience, but, through the description and through their conversations with me, I have no reason to believe they would not tow the trailer if my truck broke down.

Of course, I could be wrong and in for a rude awakening when I need the service
TRIGUY On page 6 in the 2012 handbook under AAAPlus RV it states. 100 miles of towing for eligible RV,motorcycles and travel/boat trailers That have become MECHANICALLY DISABLED.So that tell me if your truck breaks down your trailer is not cover. I was told when I bought it the first time I was cover but would be charge for two tows that was find with me.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanette View Post
A trailer is not a vehicle. It is a trailer and does not, I assume qualify as a towable.
I could be wrong, but that is my interpretation.
Why isn't.Then what does rv stand for on the aaa policy
Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Bill,

Thanks for posting this. You really have me thinking about it now.

I decided to call and pose the exact question you asked and you are right.
AAA Plus RV will not tow your travel trailer if the truck has broken down but the TT is otherwise fine.

Thanks again for making me aware of this limitation.

Think I'm going to look around for alternatives

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote