Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2022, 03:48 PM   #1

Trying to sell our rv

Looked for a recent thread on this to join, but couldn't find one..

In 2019, we traded up too quickly for our dream camper, a Forest River Surveyor. Turned out to be a "couples camper" and we really needed a grandkids camper. We found a used one in May (another "fun" story...), but are struggling to get rid of the "dream". We've had it on craigslist, facebook, and several of the online sales sites. We don't think it would be worthwhile to put it in the front yard on our street. I don't think we got it out there soon enough and we've only had a couple of legitimate questions asked. We've had 7 or 8 scam offers, including 2 the very first day it went online. I've found they go away when I ask for a picture of a 3d party document (like a utility bill) with their name and address on it.

I feel like the window is closing to get a good price for it now. We're still paying on it and I'm not sure trying to hold on to it until next spring would be beneficial in the long run. So, can I get some thoughts on what to do next. I'm wondering about trying to consign or sell it to a dealer. We have an RV dealer in our county and there's a CW close, too (and I've read threads about trying to sell to them).

Any recommendations for our situation will be greatly appeciated!
Thanks!
BGilleland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:01 PM   #2
llr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGilleland View Post
I've found they go away when I ask for a picture of a 3d party document (like a utility bill) with their name and address on it.
I wouldn't count that as the sign of a scam, if you asked me that I would be concerned about a scam from you and would never replay. It is a tough situation anymore to try to be safe without turning buyers away.

I have sold 2 TTs out at the road, the 1st one I listed on CL but sold to a drive by. The 2nd one I never got a chance to list it, 2 interested buyers in 2 days.

Even though I don't like FB I would try FB market place.

EDIT:
Also our prior TT was a couples camper too, the grandkids had no issue with air mattresses on the floor, it was just too big for my truck and I didn't want to go back to an HD truck
prior TV 2014 Silverado 2500 HD
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:35 PM   #3

Have you listed it on the FR site? https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f246/

Do you store your rig on your property? You never know who will drive by and see it in your front yard. We have a friend who lives on a dead end street, and even though he doesn't want to sell his C, people find it and make offers.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:41 PM   #4

It's not a good time to sell a RV. Inflation, recession and gas prices means people are not buying discretionary items like an RV. RV lots are full again and they are hurting for sales.
Lower the price a lot if you want to sell.
BTW, I have the grandkids Surveyor you want...not for sale though.
Best of luck to you.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:45 PM   #5

First, the scam thing-I don't ask for the verification until, as a friend says, it starts to "smell". Got to emailing someone and saw two different names on the email. One person said he was in NC, but sent me a doc with a North Atlanta mail address. We've bought 2 used campers and went in person to see both. The most recent one was 5 hours away, but, fortunately, the grandkids lived wihin an hour of it. You want my camper, you need to ask some real questions and plan to come see it in person. I don't want "no questions asked, sending an inspector with a cashier's check to pick it up"; that SMELLS!
We have lowered the price a little and will put a For Sale sign on the street. Will also look at the FRF Classifieds. And we do have a grandkids camper now - FR Flagstaff Microlite Bunkhouse.
Thanks for the quick responses!
Old 08-19-2022, 07:08 PM   #6

first? did you pay top retail at purchase? if was $44.000 you should have paid $ 28k. my 2016 puma 5w ,i purchased new at 28k. sold this year 2022 for $22, 400. i live in Texas. SO my rule - $1000 per year owned, + or - . sell near the 7th year at the latest.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Looked for a recent thread on this to join, but couldn't find one..

I've found they go away when I ask for a picture of a 3d party document (like a utility bill) with their name and address on it.

Thanks!
I would run away from You fast, If you asked me for this information and would assume that YOU were trying to scam me !!!!!!!

You might try this site.

Good Luck !!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:57 AM   #8

OakLevel- when you say "this site", are you referring to FRF Classified?

Scam thing - I will add that when I ask for some info, I tell them they can redact their street address. These messages have all come via text or email, never a phone call. Also, a couple of postings have our address on them, so they have some info on us. I'd like to know for sure where they live to decide if they will really come look at our camper. A couple of responses to this thread have said that the potential buyer may think my request for their name and address is an attempt by me to scam them. (Only one has responded to my request and he asked for a picture of my DL- heck no.)

So, can I get some suggestions on how to quickly identify and shut down a scammer on this? I don't want to get excited, waste a bunch of time, and even turn away a "real'' buyer before the light bulb comes on. Do I need to reply "texting and emailing is nice, but call me if you really want to buy our camper."?
Old 08-20-2022, 07:05 AM   #9

Not sure what a “third party document” is or how a utility bill will tell you anything…

Scammers will usually have an “agent” with a check, a check that is a higher than needed amount, and/or will not meet in person.
If I can’t see you and shake your hand, we aren’t doing business.

If you consign, use a local business, not a chain like Camping World.

I sold my 5er on FB marketplace in a couple of days. Only two people looked at it, one said that he was going to buy, then ghosted me, the second paid cash. Because she was so nice, I delivered it and set it up for free.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:30 AM   #10

Quote:
OakLevel- when you say "this site", are you referring to FRF Classified?

Scam thing - I will add that when I ask for some info, I tell them they can redact their street address. These messages have all come via text or email, never a phone call. Also, a couple of postings have our address on them, so they have some info on us. I'd like to know for sure where they live to decide if they will really come look at our camper. A couple of responses to this thread have said that the potential buyer may think my request for their name and address is an attempt by me to scam them. (Only one has responded to my request and he asked for a picture of my DL- heck no.)

So, can I get some suggestions on how to quickly identify and shut down a scammer on this? I don't want to get excited, waste a bunch of time, and even turn away a "real'' buyer before the light bulb comes on. Do I need to reply "texting and emailing is nice, but call me if you really want to buy our camper."?
Yes The FRF has a classified.

How to tell if a potential buyer or seller is a scammer in the million dollar question.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 07:46 AM   #11

I sold both my last 2 TTs on RVtrader.com.
Good luck!

2019 Mini Lite 2109S
2021 GMC 1500 Sierra Elevation 3.0 Duramax Diesel
NevadaMiniLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #12

Scammers : anyone who says they will send their brother or some other person to pick with a certified check .

Anyone who says they are out to sea and will transfer money have have unit picked up
Anyone who says they have a good transporter through e-bay or another source and will bring check with them .
Anyone that asks if item is still available . key word item .

the scammers are pretty easy to spot if they will not come or can not come in person
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 09:20 AM   #13

ask buyer if he is set on buying. have him go to his bank ,set up a Wire Transfer for $. contact your bank and give them his bank info and loan officers name . they email each other and it makes sure $ is transfered safely. and titles are legit. Just did this in Amarillo to Ponca City Ok. Sold
trailer site unseen. get title transfer papers in order by local tax offices requirements. email pics to buyer.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:12 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Scammers : anyone who says they will send their brother or some other person to pick with a certified check .

Anyone who says they are out to sea and will transfer money have have unit picked up
Anyone who says they have a good transporter through e-bay or another source and will bring check with them .
Anyone that asks if item is still available . key word item .

the scammers are pretty easy to spot if they will not come or can not come in person
Also anyone that sends a text that they want to buy it immediately without even looking at it and their texts have more misspelled words than a kindergarten class.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:32 AM   #15

Sounds to me like you're going a bit overboard on assuming everyone is a scammer after they send you one message. Try lowering your price and relaxing a little bit.
Rosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:43 PM   #16

Unsold since May -- prime camper months -- is a clue it's overpriced.

Tell us the camper you're trying to sell.
Tell us your asking price.
We'll let you know if your asking price is delusional or not.
You're not going to get "what you have in it" and you're still paying interest on the loan.

-- Chuck
Old 08-20-2022, 01:19 PM   #17

I would find a independent dealer in your area, sit down with them, and explain your situation. Ask them the trade in value against the amount owed, hopefully it is a positive number. Then, ask if they would be willing to make a cash offer. Let them know that you need know where you stand financially before you are willing to shop for a replacement.

Call for appointment, don't just stop in at the busiest sales time. On a positive note, if you purchased a 19 in 19 the retail price of that same model today will be up 20 to 30% or more.

In April of 2021 I sold a 2017 Fifth wheel to a dealer. The unit and dealer were 1000 miles away. I had a check within 5 days and have been smiling ever since.
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as downpayment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Also anyone that sends a text that they want to buy it immediately without even looking at it and their texts have more misspelled words than a kindergarten class.
yes yet another to add to the list .
Old 08-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #19

Sold mine in five days for what i paid 7 yrs ago did not cover all the add on's but pleased none the less . I know the op is trying to sale and not hear others stories . But if you're not getting offers then it's to high , not a model people are looking for , are you're just not getting it to the right people . only takes one person looking for what you have to sale . get exposure of the unit mine sold through FB market place it was a toy hauler and sold it in Colorado where TH sale faster then say Florida which is where i was when i bought a replacement to put on a permanent lot . knew when i got it back to CO it would go and for a better price . expand your areas futher out people will drive to pick up the unit that fits them for the right price .
Old 08-25-2022, 06:51 PM   #20

So we have sold three campers over the past 15 years and bought four.

Buying We try to buy in December in Michigan and sell in spring time. (We live in PA.) Michigan is close to the factories so their transportation costs are low and they have some huge dealers. They buys thousands of units and by the end of the year are ready to move out the leftovers. In December, no one is buying RV's in Michigan so they are eager to sell for a lower price at Christmas. I get 40% mark downs in December. A leftover unit is even cheaper.

Selling: Now (late summer) is when sales slow down, as camping is slowing down. The longer the season wanes, the more you have to lower your price. I don't drop my price. I use time as my ally, and I sell in spring and buy in winter. Wait until spring to sell when a new crop of RV buyers comes along. I sell on RVTrader.com and I park the unit at a big store (hardware, feed store) on a busy highway. I give the store operators $500 if I sell the unit there. I have sold on RV Trader and sold by placing the RV at a storefront. Both methods work.

I also go over the RV and make sure tires, interior are all first rate. New tires are a big sales plus if your tires are older. Use Goodyear Endurance and one higher tire rating as a selling point. Make sure everything is in first rate condition. Make sure roof is caulked and cleaned. Wax the fiberglass. My price is firm because I am selling a good looking product at a fair price. If you have a warranty, emphasize that.

If you want to sell in fall and buy in spring, you are doing things bass-ackwards. You'll sell for less and pay more to buy. I didn't make the rules.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote