Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Up selling like a pro...

During a recent phone call with the dealership I was speaking with the gentlemen who is in charge of aftermarket purchases for your trailer. He went on and on about how bad I needed to make these modifications and would be fool not to.

Each recommendation sounded somewhat interesting and logical until the pricing. That's were he lost me.

- A specific vent cover for my RV that would enable me to have constant air flow through the trailer no matter the season. $97 installed.

- He pretty much told me it was law that I let them install a hardwired 30 amp surge protection. No other equipment will work and if I didn't I would not be able to use my AC unit all day or night. $800

- The Ferron camera I wanted to purchase was no longer $349 it was now "either, $499 or $599 installed)". I reminded him it was a simple install and could do it myself for the cost of $327 on Amazon.

- The slide topper. He insisted I purchase a device that rolls or unrolls out thick material to keep your slide clean. It cuts down on the possibility of when you close your slide that you are bringing in acorns trees or sticks and compromising that seal. $690

All in all some good ideas but the pricing was of obnoxious.

2012 Infinity QX56
2017 Forest River Cherokee 274DBH
Halifax, Massachusetts
Whiskey Priest 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vent covers are a good idea but easy to install yourself and a check of a lot cheaper than that.

A surge protector is a good idea but not law by any means....I use a portable 50A surge guard model. You want one with over/under protection. Hardwired is not a must.surge guard and progressive are the most favored brands.

I do not have a back up camera for the fiver. DH with a walkie talkie works just fine.

I do not have a slide topper. DH climbing the roof and using a blower for a couple minutes before departure to clean them off if we are under trees works just fine.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:15 PM   #3

I had the opposite experience at our local CW. I wanted to add about $1000 worth of accessories, salesman said they were not allowed to do that and I would have to talk to the service department. What? Are you kidding me? I bought (somewhere else) and install the stuff myself.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:01 AM   #4

Most of the Items should have been "Negotiated" Before the "Purchase"! Vent covers and install are Low Cost selling/bargaining tools,Before! After the Vent cover (50$) and Labor(100 $ + Hr) is the going Rate! And it goes right on down the List! Just do a Search at the Top for Need/Want on the Items he stated! Youroo!!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)

If you are fairly handy, the slide topper is easy to install with a helper and you will save a bunch of $$ in labor! We took our time and installed mine in a morning.

There are many threads "discussing" the pros and cons of toppers, like most things it pretty much comes down to personal choice.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the info!

2012 Infinity QX56
Halifax, Massachusetts
Whiskey Priest 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Vent covers are a good idea but easy to install yourself and a check of a lot cheaper than that.

A surge protector is a good idea but not law by any means....I use a portable 50A surge guard model. You want one with over/under protection. Hardwired is not a must.surge guard and progressive are the most favored brands.

I do not have a back up camera for the fiver. DH with a walkie talkie works just fine.

I do not have a slide topper. DH climbing the roof and using a blower for a couple minutes before departure to clean them off if we are under trees works just fine.
what he said .. but a back up camera would have been nice for friends of ours.. before their radios quit and he didn't - they took out their shed.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #8

Used cars?

I have finally come to realize that RV dealer are no different than the new car dealers or used car lots. Our States license these people only to get revenue, but there seems to be no ethical standards by any regulatory agency. What happened to consumer protection agencies that police these scavengers? My dealer flat out lied about so many things. He said of my new Forester MBS 2401 R, "You can't overload these things".
Aspenmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Priest 6 View Post
During a recent phone call with the dealership I was speaking with the gentlemen who is in charge of aftermarket purchases for your trailer. He went on and on about how bad I needed to make these modifications and would be fool not to.

Each recommendation sounded somewhat interesting and logical until the pricing. That's were he lost me.

- A specific vent cover for my RV that would enable me to have constant air flow through the trailer no matter the season. $97 installed.

- He pretty much told me it was law that I let them install a hardwired 30 amp surge protection. No other equipment will work and if I didn't I would not be able to use my AC unit all day or night. $800

- The Ferron camera I wanted to purchase was no longer $349 it was now "either, $499 or $599 installed)". I reminded him it was a simple install and could do it myself for the cost of $327 on Amazon.

- The slide topper. He insisted I purchase a device that rolls or unrolls out thick material to keep your slide clean. It cuts down on the possibility of when you close your slide that you are bringing in acorns trees or sticks and compromising that seal. $690

2012 Infinity QX56
Halifax, Massachusetts
If you're at all handy, you can do the slide topper yourself for a lot less money. I just added one to my Roo. 12' Carefree slideout topper was $350 on Amazon! ($275 for the awning and $70 for the mounting bracket)

I camp in NH in wooded sites all summer, and I have a tree overhanging my driveway at home. Up here, a slideout topper is essential!

The Max Air vent covers for me are a nice-to-have, and something I'll think about doing soon. Also easy to install. And protects against forgetting to close the vent cover before driving away.. Not that I've ever done that!!
Old 06-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
DW's 401(k) Plan

First thing I did on our first trip out was install 3 vent covers. Took me maybe an hour, including up and down the ladder a couple times. They are the 3 vents behind the A/C

And, yes, you can install all the other stuff and save yourself BIG bucks. BTW, those 3 vent covers probably cost me in the neighborhood of $100.
Tell the salesperson to STICK IT!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #11

Vent cover $26 at camping world and 20 minutes to install. Very easy all you need is a drill, screw driver,wrench,and sealant. Mounted 2 in 35 minutes. Have portable 30amp progressive surge protector no slide toppers a broom works great And use walkie talkies when backing 30ft TT had no problems with this method.
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:

2012 Infinity QX56
Halifax, Massachusetts
you should run from this guy . he's full of it flat out lied about the surge protector . i would for sure call him on that . if it was law then the manufacture would install one . the prices are way over what it would cost you to buy and then pay for someone to install . people like this person make me sick
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #13

Vent cover installed by my dealer was $73...well worth it when it's hot and it rains when you are dry camping. Leave mine open all the time. Dealer recommended a surge protector, which is a good idea, there are many available on Amazon.com. Think any dealer recommends a lot of things at pick up, but to tell you something is required by law that isn't is just wrong.
stellaandspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:

2012 Infinity QX56
Halifax, Massachusetts
When your writing about a crooked dealer please let us all know who & where he is then we all may be a little safer. CW is just so over priced it's a laugh.They need to know we are all not stupid.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote