Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

Values

For the past 5 years, I have been a staunch supporter of Forest River, especially the Shasta Phoenix. Little things and major were always taken care of. Recently my son purchased a KZ sportsman, so we had 6 less people in our 5er. When we arrived home fro a 2week trip to Colorado, we found we had mice. We had previously sealed all the holes we could find, not realizing that the entire space under the floor was open. Now my wife, in her full OCD mode when it come to mice, will not step into it. I went to trade it in for a considerably smaller Sportsman only to find out our $54,000 33CK, is only worth $13-18K. This was supported by NADA as the low end, but selling this 5er would be hard. I’m so mad right now, I have a useless 5er stuck on a consignment lot with no hope of selling. I’m just venting here. I’ve had to put so much time and money into this 5er with no hope of even breaking even. Ever. I just don’t ser me ever buying anything Forest River again.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #2

This isn't a Forest River (FR) issue at all. In fact, it's kind of a personal issue.

This is supply and demand that is not in your favor.

Over the last 5 or so years, the US economy has been stellar and consumers have purchased new RV's at record rates. In doing so, everyone and their neighbor has an RV that, according to them, is VERY high value because they paid $XX,XXX for it new. It's not worth that though. Your trailer, like everyone else's, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If the used market isn't dictating a high resale value, can you honestly blame FR or a dealer for not giving you a trade value that YOU think is fair?

As a reminder, that dealer, is in business to make money for profit....not to break even. They gave you a low trade in value because, as you stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Geneseo View Post
... we found we had mice. We had previously sealed all the holes we could find, not realizing that the entire space under the floor was open. Now my wife, in her full OCD mode when it come to mice, will not step into it. I went to trade it in for a considerably smaller Sportsman only to find out our $54,000 33CK, is only worth $13-18K. This was supported by NADA as the low end, but selling this 5er would be hard....
So, in your own words, the 5er has a mice problem that someone (dealer?) needs to deal with, you wanted to trade it in when trade in values are notoriously low compared to private sales, and the NADA backs up the value that the dealer gave you.

Quote:
...I just don’t ser me ever buying anything Forest River again.
Yep, sounds like Forest River's problem to me. I'm sure this wouldn't happen with a Thor Industries product....

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
For the past 5 years, I have been a staunch supporter of Forest River, especially the Shasta Phoenix. Little things and major were always taken care of. Recently my son purchased a KZ sportsman, so we had 6 less people in our 5er. When we arrived home fro a 2week trip to Colorado, we found we had mice. We had previously sealed all the holes we could find, not realizing that the entire space under the floor was open. Now my wife, in her full OCD mode when it come to mice, will not step into it. I went to trade it in for a considerably smaller Sportsman only to find out our $54,000 33CK, is only worth $13-18K. This was supported by NADA as the low end, but selling this 5er would be hard. I’m so mad right now, I have a useless 5er stuck on a consignment lot with no hope of selling. I’m just venting here. I’ve had to put so much time and money into this 5er with no hope of even breaking even. Ever. I just don’t ser me ever buying anything Forest River again.

I understand you are just venting here, but not sure it is what you are really venting about. I really don't understand why it's useless and/or you have no hope of selling? Is it because of the mice that it can never be used or sold? If they have done that much damage, would insurance be applicable and maybe write it off.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #4

Edit: Double Post

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #5

NADA is for dealers to low ball you . it's a fix from autos to boats to rv's for dealer by dealer and favors dealers . you should try and sale yourself . if you trade it in then you have to expect that loss . if they give you 18,000 you know they will list it for 33,000 . that's how it works . if the mice did not do any damage then get them out seal it up and tell your wife to get over it . well maybe not like that but you know what i mean . tell her it's been mouse proofed and sanitized and all good to go
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #6

NADA is a guide and that's it. Sometimes it's close and sometimes it isn't.

Welcome to the world of depreciating assets. Not surprised it has dropped that much value at all.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #7

I found a camper that I really liked, DW wanted to keep what we had. The salesman wanted my camper plus $20,000 before he would sell me his camper, I would then have pay a down payment on his camper. I’m a little slow and it took me a little while to figure that out, needless to say we kept the camper we have. Glad I did really
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
not realizing that the entire space under the floor was open.
I'm not sure I understand this.

Are you saying your trailer doesn't have the chloroplast covering underneath it? Because I'm pretty sure you can add it yourself.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I'm not sure I understand this.

Are you saying your trailer doesn't have the chloroplast covering underneath it? Because I'm pretty sure you can add it yourself.
My question is during the 5 yrs of ownership OP did not inspect anything under the trailer and know whether it had an enclosed underbelly or not? Mice will get into an enclosed underbelly if you only patched openings from the inside.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
Scoundrel

If the mice are truly from Colorado your 5er might even be worth more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fadeeva-m_ski_r3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	198689  

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
NADA is a guide and that's it. Sometimes it's close and sometimes it isn't.

Welcome to the world of depreciating assets. Not surprised it has dropped that much value at all.
That's why I'll never do a trade-in. I'll sell it myself and make twice the dealer trade-in value.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #12

A boat I bought a few years ago had a low retail of $28k and I bought it for $22K. The next boat I bought, I paid just a hair below low retail. It depends on the demand, time of year, location...
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #13

RV's are money pits, they are for personal enjoyment and are not investments.
Depreciation is a fact of life with all RV's. You get zero return on any upgrades you make.
I bought a cheap TT to lessen the hit to my wallet.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #14

NADA is just a guide and sometimes trade in values will change monthly depending on demand. The best thing to do when selling a used anything is on your own. If you decide, or need to, trade it in the dealer can not pay anything close to retail. The dealer is in business to earn a living and make a profit. When we bought our new TT it was ordered so we had plenty of time to try and sell on our own. The dealer was happy either way, bring as a trade or not. We were lucky and sold it in two weeks.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #15

Quote:

you have had this trailer for 5 years. and you are surprised that your camper is only worth 13-18k? did you expect it to increase in value? Sorry, this isn't a forest river issue.