Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #1

Weekend Camping ... pay for sewer hookup, or dump on way out?

We are waiting delivery of our first trailer and I have been checking out the different parks and campground near us for future camping trips.

I've noticed the pricing difference between getting just "Water / Hydro" and then "Water / Hydro / Sewer" is around $2.00 a night. My question, or more like asking opinions from you folks is, if you were staying for two or three nights, is it worth an extra $6.00 or so to be connected to sewer right at your site, then dump (I know not to just leave the black water tank open when connected), or would you save that $6.00 and find the dump station on the way out?

I'm leaning towards paying for a site that has sewer. That way I can dump anytime shortly before we leave and make sure it is clean rather than pack everything up, then have to make another stop on the way out. What do others do?

Thanks for your thoughts, James.
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #2

For me it’s always worth the extra $$ for sewer. I hate going to the dump station and have to wait in line to use the dump. Also, here in MO many of the state parks don’t have a hose connection that you can use to flush the black tank. If there’s a site with a sewer connection available I grab it. I can dump when I want and I can take as long as I want to flush the black tank.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Always Learning

Same as Oakman- I gladly pay the extra for sewer. Plus it lets me take a long shower and not have to worry about water filling my tank.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #4

Since it's your 1st time, I would pay for the sewer. If nothing else, that way you don't feel rushed thru the process if someone else is waiting to dump at the dump station. (Your going to want to check for leaks and what not)

Make sure your 3/4 full before dumping black tank even if you have to add clean water..

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

As a new camper; (and an old one in my case), I ALWAYS take sewer if available. Turboflushing after every dump is critical to maintaining healthy holding tanks and having your own place to do it is worth every penny.

Just in case no one told you:

You STILL have to keep your black tank dump valve closed until you are ready to dump. This is especially critical to avoid a deadly buildup of solids in your tank.

I always close the gray tank valve the day before we leave so I have shower water to flush out the pipes and hose before we leave.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Site Team

We land squarely in the middle on this one!

We favor state and national parks. Maybe stay at a private camp ground
1 out of 8 trips.
So we don't have the sewer hookup option. We dump on the way out.
It's rarely a problem. I've never had to wait to dump more than 5 min.
I know others have had to wait but that's been our good luck.

OTOH, we don't do the dirty deed in our potty. Wife would rather use
the flush toilets at the CG restroom for the heavy stuff. This means our
black tank doesn't smell as bad as some.
AND since we're houseboaters from way back no toilet paper in the john.
It goes in a wastebasket. So no toilet paper to have to flush out of the tank.

Others will say public restrooms are dirty. My experience is that is rare.
YMMV!

Having a sewer hookup is nice when it's time to take a shower!
We just don't usually have that option.

Happy Camping!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #7

Thanks so much for the replies!

I think sewer hookup it will be. I just know that there may be a little stress after packing up and making sure we have everything loaded before leaving that not having to stop to clean out the black tanks would be good.

It is good to see what others do so I can discuss the reason why with my wife when I decide to do things one way or the other.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

I need Sewer hook ups myself. With the wife and daughter and thier long showers i had to dump the tank 2 times in 4 days. the 30gal black and grey tank just seem doesn"t very big when you have 2 females with you.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #9
Site Team

You said this is your first trailer, so please don't feel offended by any advice I offer. You may know every bit of this, but I am just going to approach it as if your were a very first time camper.

I like the luxury of campgrounds with sewer hookups. $6 bucks is really a small price to pay, especially when you are ready to leave, and not having to wait in line.

Whether or not you NEED a site with sewer hookups is something else. Do you plan to take showers in your RV or use the campground bathhouse (if available)? How may people are you taking with you? Are you washing pots/pans/dishes in the sink? These are things that have to be learned and how to conserve water usage.............that also drains into your tanks.

Learning how to take what is referred to as "Navy Showers" is important. You will find there is an on/off lever on your showerhead. After you get the water temp adjusted, you basically wet yourself then turn the water off at the showerhead.....so it's not running and filling up your grey water tank. Now soap down, shampoo your hair. Turn the water back on at the showerhead and rinse off quick as possible. If you are done, then turn the water off at the faucet.....and your thru.

You will most likely fill up the grey water tank, before you would the black. It's no fun at all to have break camp and go dump the tanks down the road (if you don't have a portable water tote).

Being a first time camper, gladly pay the extra money, as you learn to judge your water usage. If you fill up the tanks, you can dump on-site easily.

Not knowing the campground you are staying at, or how far away the sewer inlet is, you may need to make sure you have a long enough sewer hose. I just stayed at a campground in Arkansas with sewer hookups, but had to make a trip in to Wal-mart to get an extra 20 feet hose to attach to my basic sewer hose, to be able to reach the sewer. You definitely want to make sure you have enough sewer hoses with you, and these hoses are fairly cheap to purchase. Also certain campgrounds are finicky (and your neighbors will not cuss you) about making sure you have
a proper end on your sewer hose that helps seal the edges when you dump so the odor doesn't escape. Nothing spoils a good outdoor cookout, like smelling sewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prothos View Post
I need Sewer hook ups myself. With the wife and daughter and thier long showers i had to dump the tank 2 times in 4 days. the 30gal black and grey tank just seem doesn"t very big when you have 2 females with you.
I hear you. I took two teenage girls on the last trip, and had to do the same.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
You STILL have to keep your black tank dump valve closed until you are ready to dump. This is especially critical to avoid a deadly buildup of solids in your tank.
My wife still gives me the gears on this. When in Cape Cod the trailers on both sides of us had the valves pulled. "See she said, you are supposed to have the valves open, what is the point of having a sewer hookup when you have to empty the tank all the time". Go through the explanation and reasoning again to no avail. I tell her again, "the valves stay closed when I'm in charge of this". Nothing better than hearing the rush of gallons of liquid visible through the clear elbow!

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One thing you might do, as a new camper, is to keep your tanks closed until they are full, just to see how much water you are using and how long it will normally take to fill, just in case you are at a campground that doesn't have full hookups.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #12

Great replies!

One of the things we looked for with our new camper was that it had a small tub, not just a corner shower. Easier to sponge bath was our thought. Not that we would fill the tub, just a tad of water in the tub. Then would use the shower just for the hair.

Keeping the valves closed will be done for sure, until time to dump.

There will be myself, my wife and our young son.

I have no issue with using the campground showers and bathrooms, but at the moment, I think my wife would be of the mind that she has a bathroom in the trailer, so she is going to use it. I may try and convince her that we should use the campground toilets unless it can't be helped.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #13

I also strongly recommend RV rated toilet paper. It breaksdown easier in the tank and is less likely to cause issues.
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycej View Post
I have no issue with using the campground showers and bathrooms, but at the moment, I think my wife would be of the mind that she has a bathroom in the trailer, so she is going to use it. I may try and convince her that we should use the campground toilets unless it can't be helped.
That's not usually a problem with the wife. The pair of potty-training toddlers on the other hand....

I always try to convince them (and the wife at times) to use the CG facilities instead of the TT. I don't want to set a precedent that it's ok to use the onboard so that I don't end up with full tanks when I'm at a CG without sewer.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
Camper Less Camping

We always look for full hookup campgrounds first because of the convenience, small price to pay once you've done it both ways & experience the pros vs cons of each dumping method!
Also, a strong reason for buying a camper was to have our own private bathroom to use, we don't use on-site bathrooms (those days are gone when we tent camped)

Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #16

I usually take just water and electric when I have a 2 day stay. When I leave, I will pull in a water, sewer and electric site to dump. I have never had any issues with this .
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
My wife still gives me the gears on this. When in Cape Cod the trailers on both sides of us had the valves pulled. "See she said, you are supposed to have the valves open, what is the point of having a sewer hookup when you have to empty the tank all the time". Go through the explanation and reasoning again to no avail. I tell her again, "the valves stay closed when I'm in charge of this". Nothing better than hearing the rush of gallons of liquid visible through the clear elbow!
I wonder if maybe she was seeing gray valves that were left open, instead of black ones.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycej View Post
Honestly if your wife wants to use the trailer bathroom why not leave her to it. If you practice some of the simple suggestions here you'll have years of issue free black tank use. We're on our 3rd trailer and never had any issues "ONCE" we started being proactive.

Use the quick rinse every opportunity you can while being mindful if there's others waiting in line. If you don't have one get one installed it's cheap (under $40 and under 30 min work).

Only dump when close to full and even then only dump what you need to to get you through to your departure date. In other words save what you can for the final dump

Put a bucket or so of clean water back in the black tank after dumping. This will help keep the smells down and help loosen anything that might've been left behind. I usually do this at home as opposed to while I'm in the dump line.

We've done the geo-method before but never on our recent trailer. If I could find calgon up here in Canada I'd do it more often. Cheap and easy so why not.

Just saying.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I wonder if maybe she was seeing gray valves that were left open, instead of black ones.
Oh no, I checked - definitely black!

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #20

Full hookup - $6.pp
Long "devil may care" showeres - Priceless.

Get the full hookup
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping