Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #1

What takes so long

We are so frustrated. We bought a 2021 forest river flagstaff micro lite 25fks on July 30 and told it would be in ,in 2-6 weeks.Today marks 10 weeks and still nothing.I made a harsh call today and was told possibly mid November . Said it was a “ covid issue”.Truth or true BS?????
Trish1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish1750 View Post
We are so frustrated. We bought a 2021 forest river flagstaff micro lite 25fks on July 30 and told it would be in ,in 2-6 weeks.Today marks 10 weeks and still nothing.I made a harsh call today and was told possibly mid November . Said it was a “ covid issue”.Truth or true BS?????
Have you been following the news at all? Pretty much everything is backed up and delayed. Factories were closed and/or staffing reduced.
No, I wouldn't think it is BS at all.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
Site Team

Read the posts in our COVID-19 sub-forum and you’ll find out it’s not BS.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:07 PM   #4

Takes so long

I can empathize with you. We selected a new 2021 Dynamax Isata 3 In August. The AC unit is bad. No date for a new AC unit. After more than a month of waiting with no end is sight, and numerous Other dealer contacts, we found a new one in another state over 1,600 miles away. Then a hurricane decided to visit the area the unit is in. We are still working on taking delivery of the RV. Sure is getting difficult to get new RV’s. COVID is taking a toll on all industries. Will be so glad when we get our new RV and COVID is just a bad memory.
Good luck with your new RV.
“Anything worth having is worth waiting on “ or so they say.

CCdesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #5

At least they are honest about it. We were told that our TT would be ready in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later it was still 2 weeks. The TT didn't come off the assembly line until 5 weeks after we bought it. We picked it up at the dealer in OH, wait for it, 2 weeks later. This was not Rockwood, just a salesman wanting to get a deposit on a sale so he could move on to the next sale.

To be fair the dealer was extremely busy on sales. Our reception there, documentation processing, PDI and repairs the next day were absolutely outstanding.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #6

Forest River uses alot of suppliers for components that go into a camper, fridge, stove, microwave, water heater, furnace, AC unit, etc. If those suppliers are backed up in production of those components due to Covid shutdowns that will affect FR assembly lines. I know this doesn't help your frustration but it's a fact of manufacturing. Hope you get some good news soon!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #7

Not only have parts and labor been hard to find to build these rvs, demand is up dramatically. Lots of 'work from home' and 'online schooling' parents have been buying rvs and hitting the road.
So take it a bit easy on your dealer. There is nothing they can do to hurry up the manufacturing process.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #8
PhD, Common Sense

There is a lot of BS flying around, but the delays in RV manufacturing and delivery are not BS. They are quite real.

And it is not just RVs. As a retailer, I can tell you that almost all products are experiencing delays and shortages.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:18 PM   #9
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Forest River uses alot of suppliers for components that go into a camper, fridge, stove, microwave, water heater, furnace, AC unit, etc. If those suppliers are backed up in production of those components due to Covid shutdowns that will affect FR assembly lines. I know this doesn't help your frustration but it's a fact of manufacturing. Hope you get some good news soon!
This is true beyond words.
But, it goes even one step further back in the process. Wood. Lumber is in short supply. Especially treated lumber, and soft wood. What is available has spiked in price by as much as 40%. Not only has production slowed over the past 6 months, but demand grew. All the lockdown DIY projects, fences, decks, additions and the like surged at the same time mills shut down.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:08 PM   #10

All I can say is that if you see it on the lot and buy it, the only waiting will be for a "Walk Through/Signing date. Maybe a week.

If you have to order it be prepared to wait as long as it takes.

Being redundant, it is a Covid thing. The "rules" are changing frequently, sometimes daily, so picking a winning lottery number might be easier than forecasting a delivery date.

BTW, it may get worse as reports are there is a surge in Covid cases which will no doubt trigger more restrictions.

Not interested in discussing those, it's just the way it is today. Maybe next year will be better.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #11

Smile

Thank you for all the replys. .You really have calmed our nerves and temper. So hard to believe anyone any more but I do believe fellow RVers.I will pray for patience as I would want them to have with me. Thanks everyone and have a good weekend.
Trish1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Thank you for all the replys. .You really have calmed our nerves and temper. So hard to believe anyone any more but I do believe fellow RVers.I will pray for patience as I would want them to have with me. Thanks everyone and have a good weekend.
This year is particularly bad but waiting for a new RV has always been a long process.

In 1995 I ordered a new travel trailer. The first date they gave me was a "build date" which was provided by the factory. That date was 60 days out. The next date was the "delivery date" which only came after the unit was picked up by the transporter. Transport time back then was about 5 days but didn't start until the transporter picked it up at the factory. Anyway, even back in 1995 I ended up waiting almost a full 90 days.

Hope yours comes sooner. Nothing worse than waiting for the new toy

Old 10-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #13

What Takes so long

BTW, I wasn't complaining. I was just telling my story in hopes that it would make those waiting feel a little better knowing the RV builders and Dealers were not picking on them.
Several builders are holding back on selling finished new homes due to the price increases they are experiencing in lumber and other building products. They want to keep some homes in inventory rather than be out of business. This COVID thing along with the China issues has a negative effect on so many sections of our economy.
Several of the World leaders such as Britain's prime Minister and our President have been personally attacked by the bug. So glad the mortality rate is very low. Just want it to go away soon!! It is a bit tricky getting into and out of several of the States that require Covid tests and quarantine for 7 to 14 days.
Sure will be glad when it is just a bad memory.

CCdesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #14

Just so you know this is industry wide, we ordered a Jayco Eagle HT fiver on 7/08. Originally we were told probably 12 weeks to ship. Well add 4 more weeks to that. Ours will hopefully be off line on 11/06 bar any vendor backorders.
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #15

Quote:
They say patience is a virtue. But I've never been known for being particularly virtuous.
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro E19FD - our 4th camper
It's not just a life - it's an adventure!
Attila the Pun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #16

Repair Parts being delayed as well

BTW this problem is not only effecting new orders but repair parts as well. A replacement Axel for my FR 5th wheel has been on order for 6 weeks with no delivery date yet. I am sure most new Axels are being used to complete new orders. So think of me as you drive off the lot with your new camper.
emason83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #17
D W

Was talking to my dealer several days ago. He's put in his 2021 allocation from the Oregon Plant. He was informed that earliest delivery will be first week of April. With the exception of several trade-ins, his sales lot is empty. Currently, he's not taking an special orders as the plant can't can't guaranty delivery in time for our short camping season in 2021. The china virus has made for tough times, all the way around.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Was talking to my dealer several days ago. He's put in his 2021 allocation from the Oregon Plant. He was informed that earliest delivery will be first week of April. With the exception of several trade-ins, his sales lot is empty. Currently, he's not taking an special orders as the plant can't can't guaranty delivery in time for our short camping season in 2021. The china virus has made for tough times, all the way around.
Sounds like a business opportunity. Buy up a bunch of used RV's in the lower 48 and get them to AK before the short season. If there is a demand, that person would have supply.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Sounds like a business opportunity. Buy up a bunch of used RV's in the lower 48 and get them to AK before the short season. If there is a demand, that person would have supply.
By all means! The only logistical drawback is getting barge space, but yes, the inventory here is slim to none.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #20

Tapped Alternate Supply Source for AC Motor Replacement

Dometic AC replacement motor shown available around $120 on 50+ websites.

Ordered from AdventureRV.net in May, never received. They never answered the phone and provided only dummy responses (ZERO useful info) to website messages. So-called "Award Winning" chat customer service is a joke not funny--responders know nothing but supply plenty of useless happy talk keystrokes. After the 4 months, received refund but ZERO communication. Local RV shops said "not available" from any RV parts suppliers anywhere.

Finally decided to try local motor and pump shop. They got it for me in a week or so, but for $239+tax.