Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
This is actually something that's been a huge load off to me. Single income family. Worst case if the **** hits the fan, we have a warm, dry place to hang our heads and I could move around as needed if I found a job in a different part of the country. Wouldn't be fun, it would be cramped as hell, but we could make it work.
I agree, our family having lived in this camper for almost a year, it is doable and I would do it in a heart beat if the **** hits the fan. But, I sure wouldn't want to do it forever. Now that I have experienced this, I could see some smart person or even a young couple deciding to live this life style for 2-3 years and save a ton of money for a down payment on a stick and mortar house. With all the camping options available, you sure can save a ton of money if you want to. And I don't mean staying at Walmart... Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, we are spending most of it on sight seeing activities but that is why we are on this trip so the kids can see the US.

OK back on topic, in the company I work at, we have what we call the silver tsunami, a boat load of older people retiring now and for the next 10 years, most with a decent retirement and everyone I speak to tells me the same thing, I am going to do what you are doing when I retire. If that is a slice of what's going on everywhere, I think the RV business is good for a quite a while to come...

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:25 PM   #22

Thank God for Glamis...lol. The land of infinite camp grounds. Got to just enjoy what we have now one way or another. Im in my late 30's, now all that my friends and family that camp have their wife n kids the tents went out the window. Just in my circle of friends and this year 4 of us bought toyhaulers. We have a steady group of campers who have been camping for about 20 yrs and don't see us ever stopping.
Tmoz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #23

I think there will be a ton of 1-3 year old units for sale. I think at least 50% of the first time buyers will find it's not for them or be so disgusted with the quality of their camper they will never consider it again.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
Probably the eventual limit will be the inability to get a desirable campsite for a summer weekend without reserving a year in advance. I see that as a choke point because the building of new campgrounds is a very rare thing. When enough people realize that they can't use their $30K camper except in the off season, sales will tank. And used RV prices will sink even faster.

The quality issues in the industry may turn out to be an even worse enemy than desirable campsite shortage. The features vs quality vs price trade-off is not to the industry's long term advantage.

I've seen the boating industry - especially sailboats - completely tank for similar issues. Sailboats were accelerating rapidly in price due to more and more features, there was no where to keep them (marinas are even more limited than campsites), and maintenance was and is a real time and/or cost sink. The marina shortage and maintenance costs dumped a lot of sound, used, but neglected sailboats on the market at dirt cheap prices. Producers of new sailboats could not compete for the die-hard sailors, and most went out of business. The same happened to the bigger powerboats that were too big to trailer.

I learned with boats that the smallest practical boat for the waters would get used the most (at least in my case). I've found the same with campers. Which is why we now have the smallest A-frame Forest River makes, and we can literally leave on an hour's notice. Set up of the entire campsite is less than 30 minutes, and take-down is the same. This makes a one night campout quite practical and enjoyable.

just my thoughts and experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
That makes a lot of sense now that I've digested it and without realizing it, I ascribe to your school of thought and have for years.

Why my wife and I are dedicated 'dirt baggers', aka: Truck campers.

Unit is quick and easy to set up.

Stores in a limited space (I keep mine in the shop building where the tractors are in the winter) so no storage issues.In fact, we use it for a break room in the winter. Coffee pot and fridge plugged in.

Can use the pickup for other things, takes a half hour to set in the camper, a half hour to take it out.

Insurance is cheap

Camp anywhere, don't even need hookups. Any space or unimproved road to the woods will do.

Ability to 'stealth camp'

We cannot take the 'kitchen sink' with us because room is at a premium but we take the essentials.

Not for big families with lots of 'stuff' but I don't need lots of stuff anyway. Comfortable bed, good fridge, stove, inside shower and toilet and a convection microwave does everything I need, along with my little Champion Inverter.

My wife and I have camped in places where a big RV would become a landmark forever.

After reading your post, I realized why I have what I have and why I like it, plus it's timeless. In 23 years this is only my second unit. They don't become 'obsolete' the next model year. I want then to go at least 10 years and they do with careful upkeep.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat48 View Post
The bigger worry is the availabity of campsites if they keep turning out units at this rate
X2 As a new TT owner having done tents and pop-ups where I could just drive in and utilize whatever site was available, campsite availability is a concern. Sure, we can make reservations but I, and DW, dislike the idea of having to be at a certain place at a certain time. Just saying.

Happy Flag Day.
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:16 AM   #26

I think it will take an all out recession such as 2009ish. Buyers will buy regardless as long as they can buy...I think it is going to take the inability to buy before it slows down.
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCharger View Post
I think it will take an all out recession such as 2009ish. Buyers will buy regardless as long as they can buy...I think it is going to take the inability to buy before it slows down.
Investors and businesses so far are not permitting the rants of the left to bring that on,,, yet. They keep gtrying though.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #28
Selective Curmudgeon

Wholeheartedly agree with campsite availability. With today's regulations, building a new RV Park is exponentially more money than it used to be, so when one is built, it's catering to the upscale crowd. Also, as 5ers get larger, longer and pulled by 8' bed duallies, the number of suitable sites in the established RV parks is dwindling.

The past two winter seasons, I workamped in a 20-yr-old RV park along the I-95 corridor. I can't tell you the number of times I've told people, "I'm sorry, we're full," when they call at 2:00 on a weekend afternoon looking for a site for a 40' 5er..."pull through and we don't want to unhook." Plus, where we used to have ten sites along a row, we can now only use six sites to avoid unhappy customers feeling jammed like sardines, each unit having three or four slides.

I guess the state parks get many of the weekenders. Many of the private parks are getting the growing retiree market segment. I hear stories regularly of older couples who got tired of cutting the grass, shoveling snow and paying taxes while waiting for the kids or grandkids to no longer come visit due to their own busy lives. So mom and dad sell the house and become full timers while they still have their health.

Everything is cyclic but I think the industry will grow for some time to come yet.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #29

I think a private campground might be profitable(assuming). They have opened 2 on 59HW S outside of Texarkana. The bigger one got started kinda slow, but you drive by and it appears full. The smaller one has some business too. Idunno.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #30

If a lack of campgrounds becomes a big problem, more campgrounds will be built. That is where supply and demand comes into play. It just takes time though.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:37 PM   #31

With just two companies controlling most of the market unless the economy tanks campers will keep getting built. More people are living in campers full time, sell your house and buy a camper. Plus new campers coming out every year and they keep getting bigger. More stuff installed in camper, I have a residential refrigerator in my camper plus a Trav'ler Direct tv plus stacked washer/dryer. I want a dishwasher but DW says no, maybe on the next camper. Have a great granddaughter now am I'm looking to buy a bunkhouse, a Blue Ridge 3720BH, about 41ft long, what could be better you only live once
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 06:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
If a lack of campgrounds becomes a big problem, more campgrounds will be built. That is where supply and demand comes into play. It just takes time though.
Considering that an increasing share of the new/used market consists of retired folks like me and the DW, the shortage of campground space is less of a problem because we can (and usually prefer to) travel off-season.
As far as using the RV for Bug-Out when the zombies come knocking, I'll bet the Walmart parking lots will look just like their main entrance does at opening time on Black Friday.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote