Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 10:04 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
We went trailer shopping a couple of weekends ago and fell in love with the 2109S. No intention of buying, wife just wanted to get out of the house. We are moving from TX to OH in June. I want to buy it now, she wants to wait. I am trying like heck to figure out a good way to get the trailer from TX to OH, but we need the TV to pull our U-Haul full of stuff we don't trust the movers with. 1,000 miles each way, I don't really want to make 3 trips. Could rent a pickup for $200 and pull it up with that then fly back on work. Need to store it for 5 months here in TX ($400). Won't camp much here in TX. Price is about the same although RVWholesalers can beat them by $500.

So after that stream of consciousness, how do I justify driving up and picking it up today? I want it. DW thinks I am an idiot.
Yes I am late to the party,,,
If you buy in TX and move it to OH,,,
where are you going for Warranty work ???
Hope you listen to your Wife !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #62

Not sure about the "ride." All the trailers come out of the same factory. Dealer sets the price which is the major consideration since the trailers are the same.

My experience with RVWholesalers (Lakeview, OH) was long ago (as my signature block shows) but was flawless and several thousand dollars less expensive than my "local dealer" who thought MSRP was a good deal. I drove over from Cleveland so it was merely a couple hours to save thousands. You can order the trailer to your specs including colors -- but keep that model year change in mind as a 2020 trailer will depreciate faster than a 2021. I took one of their already ordered units -- had every option -- and took delivery in a week.

Service? What service? We're talking campers here. No oil changes necessary. If you need the dealer to put some screws back in place, caulk the roof, or tighten a plumbing fixture don't buy a camper. If you can't tighten lug nuts, etc. You need to to the same maintenance you do on your house. I had things like roof resealing done at the local Jayco dealer who was more than happy to do it, clean and repack the wheel bearings, as well as warranty repairs on the appliances.

-- Chuck
Old 02-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Not sure about the "ride." All the trailers come out of the same factory. Dealer sets the price which is the major consideration since the trailers are the same.

My experience with RVWholesalers (Lakeview, OH) was long ago (as my signature block shows) but was flawless and several thousand dollars less expensive than my "local dealer" who thought MSRP was a good deal. I drove over from Cleveland so it was merely a couple hours to save thousands. You can order the trailer to your specs including colors -- but keep that model year change in mind as a 2020 trailer will depreciate faster than a 2021. I took one of their already ordered units -- had every option -- and took delivery in a week.

Service? What service? We're talking campers here. No oil changes necessary. If you need the dealer to put some screws back in place, caulk the roof, or tighten a plumbing fixture don't buy a camper. If you can't tighten lug nuts, etc. You need to to the same maintenance you do on your house. I had things like roof resealing done at the local Jayco dealer who was more than happy to do it, clean and repack the wheel bearings, as well as warranty repairs on the appliances.

-- Chuck
Chuck, how are you doing? I thought I remembered your user name from another forum. We had a 23SS back in 2006ish and I was active on the fora under tomhole. After the kids went off to college, we got out of the travel trailer world, but now we're back. Living in Cincinnati sure makes it easy to trundle up to Lakeview. Although we will give the locals a shot at matching or coming close to RVW.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:30 PM   #64

Tom? --

Doing good. Moved from Cleveland to Richmond in 2017 and still using our '06 Roo 23SS although only a couple of weekends a year these days. We go to the RV-show annually but have no desire to change floor plans or go into a closed box. My wife sleeps better under the tentage in the camper than most nights at home.

Last trip was Virginia Beach/Fort Story over Halloween. Virginia weather tops Ohio any day.

Folks buying campers (or any vehicles) and not paying cash can form opinions about dealers based on financing. Never finance toys.

-- Chuck
Old 02-16-2020, 10:28 PM   #65

Go to RV Wholesalers in Ohio after you get there - I got a great deal from them on our Rockwood 8280WS.
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:30 PM   #66
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Go to RV Wholesalers in Ohio after you get there - I got a great deal from them on our Rockwood 8280WS.
I would buy my next grailer from RVW, in a heartbeat. Unfortunately they don't any models that have what we want.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:07 PM   #67

Quote:
We went trailer shopping a couple of weekends ago and fell in love with the 2109S. No intention of buying, wife just wanted to get out of the house. We are moving from TX to OH in June. I want to buy it now, she wants to wait. I am trying like heck to figure out a good way to get the trailer from TX to OH, but we need the TV to pull our U-Haul full of stuff we don't trust the movers with. 1,000 miles each way, I don't really want to make 3 trips. Could rent a pickup for $200 and pull it up with that then fly back on work. Need to store it for 5 months here in TX ($400). Won't camp much here in TX. Price is about the same although RVWholesalers can beat them by $500.

So after that stream of consciousness, how do I justify driving up and picking it up today? I want it. DW thinks I am an idiot.
A happy man listens to his wife. I'll just leave this there.
2011 F250 2WD 6.7L Crew 3:35
Husky Centerline
reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #68

Couch’s RV world will be very close to you. . I bought a new 23RD-L for less than another dealer wanted for a 1yo used one. Am very happy with the camper and the dealer. They move a lot of RVs there... I did everything prior to picking it up over the internet and phone. You could do the same and have it waiting for you when you got to Ohio.
Charliebrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:37 PM   #69

Listen to your wife! I did the same thing you did and by My the. Same trailer dropped 6gs Still kicking my self
joe_905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #70

I concur with the vast majority here -- I live in NC and bought my trailer in 2017 from WanaRV in Shipshewana, IN (as recommended by an earlier poster) and I saved about 1/3 of the sticker price and options I wanted for a Rockwood 2304DS. I ordered it new and included some options from the factory and some by the dealer (WD hitch and backup camera). My only mistake was picking it up in mid-March with 20 degree temperatures so my shake-down post PDI tour involved a dry plumbing system. All went well and I know I got an excellent deal (I compared prices from RV dealers within 100 miles of me and I saved a bunch).

You'll do much better by waiting and buy after your move. Just my 2 cents....

2018 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2304DS, 10K Equal-i-zer Hitch
2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4WD 5.7L iForce V8
FROG Member since March 2017
McRabbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #71

Another scenario;
I wanted to wait until I retired to buy the new camper but went to browse at a large RV Show. There was exactly what I wanted at a good price. Couldn't control myself and bought the new one a year sooner than ideal. It was used that first year some but not nearly as much as the past year since retiring. FR has updated our model significantly and we don't like it nearly as much as the previous one which we bought. I am now so thankful I didn't wait until the IDEAL time to buy. The time may have been better but the camper no longer would have been.
kpkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #72

No offense but your wife is right.
Bissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #73

another scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkoch View Post
Another scenario;
I wanted to wait until I retired to buy the new camper but went to browse at a large RV Show. There was exactly what I wanted at a good price. Couldn't control myself and bought the new one a year sooner than ideal. It was used that first year some but not nearly as much as the past year since retiring. FR has updated our model significantly and we don't like it nearly as much as the previous one which we bought. I am now so thankful I didn't wait until the IDEAL time to buy. The time may have been better but the camper no longer would have been.
X2. We did a similar scene. Went to a show and saw a few campers got the bug so to speak. Went home and searched online, found only 2 of the model we wanted this side of the Mississippi. We bought the one in Michigan for almost $18k less than it would have been to order from a local dealer. A year later, the model was discontinued. Actually it was re-branded from a Silverback to a Hathaway and the price is more like $30k more, essentially for the same floorplan. So you can still get the front-living-room toyhauler from FR, but for a lot more money.

RockinH Bill
2019 Silverback 37RTH
2014 Shadow LQ 3 horse select
2015 Ram Laramie DRW
2012 Kaw Concours
Rockinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:46 PM   #74

Quote:

Honestly, I would wait until you get moved and settled in. You're not accounting for that "what if" happens on a move. Also, you want to find a dealer near you for warranty work. I would save all the expense, the worry, the travel time and just be patient and wait. We found couple of TT afterwards that came out and we said, wow, wished we would have picked that one. One of the things we wished we would have gone with is the lazy boys vs. the couch setup. It was our first camper and we were so excited at the time.

We really like our camper and we bought it when we just went looking at camper sale they had one week-end. Wish we would of been more patient and looked more vs. spur of the moment. But we do like what we picked out and it works for us. We love that our dealer is 10min from us and that are awesome and reputable dealer ship.

TT: Purchased @2/1/19 Wildwood X Lite 230BHXL
Irobutterfly59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:55 PM   #75

Something else to think about, personal property taxes. If Texas is like Missouri, you'll pay personal property taxes on it even if you own it for one day of 2020. Then you'll pay the same taxes in Ohio. Would stink to pay taxes on something just sitting in storage in Texas.
RetiredSoldier919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:31 PM   #76

Your Wife is Right

She is right. She will always be right. Listen to her.
stsimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #77

2109S is a great trailer

We purchased one in 2012 and had it until the end of this last summer. They are very comfy for two people. We sold it and bought the 2304ds.
We purchased it in Michigan. Their price was $10000 less than a local dealer here in Spokane, Washington wanted. I like your choice but would wait unless your local dealer meets the price you would pay in from the Midwest where they a built. Delivery is roughly $2500, to where your moving to. Check internet prices.
lesgemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:43 PM   #78

I was in Tex and looked at models and floor plan we liked bút prices were almost 5k higher in Texas than Indiana. Needless to say your wife was right.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #79

Wife says I am an idiot (buying now vs waiting)

My suggestion which would satisfy both of you is find the exact model you want. Contact couch’s, RV Wholesalers, or Wana RV, and have them give you quotes of one that will be built. I bet the prices will compare to the ones you see that have been sitting on dealers lots. You can choose options, colors, and trims, RV will not cost you anymore than new one sitting on the dealer lot and you have what you want.

To satisfy you you can order it now, with a deposit, then it will take up to 8 to 15 weeks for it to be built. Then you will be moved to Ohio and can pick it up then. Depending on when it comes off the line you could have the newer version.

Two years ago I ordered mine exactly what I wanted for options, had to wait but was worth it.

Something to think about.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:37 AM   #80

You can not lose this by listening to her and the real reasons don't matter but she is right.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote